Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of season flies

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

What should be looking at using in a wet fly as it comes to the end of the trout season? Haven't been down in over three weeks so not sure whats about. It's just a standard limestone river.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sedges always work well for me at this time of the year. Rivers are probably at their warmest and trout will be on the move until well after dark. Sedges have accounted for some beautiful brownies over the years in July and August.

oh and "end of the season"...say it isn't so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

SeaFields wrote: »
    Sedges always work well for me at this time of the year. Rivers are probably at their warmest and trout will be on the move until well after dark. Sedges have accounted for some beautiful brownies over the years in July and August.

oh and "end of the season"...say it isn't so :eek:

Unfortunately so. Plus the water level in the river has been very low the past month and when it gets that low the fishing is always very poor.

Most of the rivers around me have been unfishable most of the time with all this bloody rain. You might get a window or half a day when fishing is good before more rain and another raging torrent. Nature of the rivers I fish I suppose. Hopefully I'm off the hook tonight (if you'll pardon the pun :D) and will try and get out for an hour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Sedges .. yes.
    Land insects too: Daddy Long Legs, Moths, Grasshoppers and Beetles are all good. The beetles especially in moorland areas.
    The Olives, Pale Wateries and BWO will be making a comeback soon as the water cools a bit.
    And don't forget the fry feeding trout. It's streamer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Got a grand trout last weekend on a big Daddy long legs! Sedges too all good with the mild evenings of late. Rivers are so full of water at the moment doesnt look like forecast is improving either :(. Salmon are running well though! It feels with this weather like the seasons over already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Tinytony wrote: »
    Unfortunately so. Plus the water level in the river has been very low the past month and when it gets that low the fishing is always very poor.

Went down to check the river earlier and it was higher than it's been all summer. It was coming out onto the road in places. August how are ya?!

I haven't seen any of the rivers around me yet this morning but the rain that fell in cork last night was frightening. It was like something you would see on the telly during a monsoon season somewhere. Don't think the fishing is going to be any good for a few days at least. :mad:

Advertisement