Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag week?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Is it true that there's no rag week in ucd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Notorious wrote: »
    Yes

Well thats crap!

You get freshers week, which I think is week three of the first semester. Then, depending on your course, you might be able to participate in Med Day, Sci Day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Freshers week makes up for the terrible rag week that nobody knows about..

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Aye, we don't have the trad "rag week" to collect money for charities but UCD ents does have a rag week, which is basically like any other week. Indeed many students won't even be aware of that...

• Advertisement

Well as long as theres some sort of week involving a lot of alcohol and craic im a happy camper :)

Well as long as theres some sort of week involving a lot of alcohol and craic im a happy camper :)

That is basically every week for an arts student...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

That is basically every week for an arts student...

Ah now,that's a bit much.That's only 49% true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

GobBass wrote: »
    Ah now,that's a bit much.That's only 49% true.

How 'bout science students, is there much of an alcoholic social life for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    How 'bout science students, is there much of an alcoholic social life for them?

No, none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Fad wrote: »
    No, none.

I was hoping for something more than alcohol, preferably something to do with medicinal chemistry students, lol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    I was hoping for something more than alcohol, preferably something to do with medicinal chemistry students, lol:)

You should have gone to Cork IT to do Herbal Science, that actually exists (What's contained in the degree, I dont know)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It exists but it's crap.

Red Alert wrote: »
    It exists but it's crap.

While crap, we can cool drinks with the the ol' liquid H...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

In February 1976, during Rag Week, hundreds of UCD students ran riot through the centre of Dublin and stole the college clock from Bolton Street College of Technology. [18]

In February 1977, during Rag Week, over one hundred UCD students invaded Trinity College, the Royal College of Surgeons and Kevin Street College causing £3,200 worth of damage. [18]

Huh, no wonder we haven't got one! Why do we need a rag week? Can't we get drunk/high between classes whenever we like anyway?

In fairness, the other unis did that too...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

is there any chance we can bring it back,after all they put that lake there to stop it from happening again(i think we should test how effect this move was :D),,,,

In February 1976, during Rag Week, hundreds of UCD students ran riot through the centre of Dublin and stole the college clock from Bolton Street College of Technology. [18]
    In February 1977, during Rag Week, over one hundred UCD students invaded Trinity College, the Royal College of Surgeons and Kevin Street College causing £3,200 worth of damage. [18]
    >>>>>>>>funny as hell!!!!!!!!!

munchie14 wrote: »
    is there any chance we can bring it back,after all they put that lake there to stop it from happening again

Unlikely and the lake was built as a water reserve in the event of a fire in science

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bex2

there's no rag week but the first day back is Black Monday.....a.k.a. you don't bother with lectures and just go drinking in the student bar all day!! At the end of each semester theres Black Friday!!! and you basically go out every nyt the first week back!!

Freshers Week an Re-Freshers week ..... Its the 2nd or 3rd week into each semester and there is events on in the student bar, mystery tour, specific nytclubs for each nyt of the wk so you will meet ucd'ers no doubt!!

UCD Ball ..... best day of the college year!!

Ag Week ..... Theres all sorts of fun stuff happening around campus, Iron Man comp and other stuff i cnt remember!!

The rest of the year is jst random nights drinkin, goin out and campus parties!!! Just try and keep away from the RA's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

There was a big write up in the university observer a while back about why we dont have a rag week. Apparently they kidnapped the Queens uni beauty queen one year and held her ransom for kegs of Guinness and another year used stolen cars as a mini destruction derby inside trinity. It was a good while ago though.

• Advertisement

From http://ucdhiddenhistory.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/6-rag-week/
    In February 1977 as part of Rag Week celebrations, over one hundred UCD students invaded Trinity College, the College of Surgeons and Kevin Street College causing £3,200 worth of damage.

Newspaper reports describe how the UCD students “scaled the walls of Trinity by rope” after the gates were closed to them.

Once inside, the UCD mob used a car belonging to a member of TCD staff as a battering ram to get into the Museum building. They also stole a large notice from the college entrance. A Kevin Street College of Technology laboratory was also damaged during the rampage.

I want a rag week now :(

I'm sure there was some form of repercussions for those involved, or, at least, I hope there was

Unlikely and the lake was built as a water reserve in the event of a fire in science

It also helps make UCD "protest/riot" proof ;)

Of course, how...silly of me *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

munchie14 wrote: »
    is there any chance we can bring it back,after all they put that lake there to stop it from happening again(i think we should test how effect this move was :D),,,,

>>>>>>>>funny as hell!!!!!!!!!
    Considering a long standing rag week tradition was to throw the SU president in the lake at the end, I suspect you may be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

sorry,my information could be wrong,,,i heard it from a guide(3rd year ucd student) on a tour of the campus this year:rolleyes:

but this history of rag week is really pi55ing me off cause we cant keep it going,, sounds so class:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Pranks are a great university tradition. Look at Caltech and MIT in the state, moving that big ****ing cannon across the continent just for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

betafrog wrote: »
    I prefer the one where MIT students put a cop car on the top of the dome of one the campus buildings...

mit-police-car-roof.png
    I like Caltech's rose bowl hoax

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/Hoaxipedia/Great_Rose_Bowl_Hoax/

rosebowl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

BRING BACK RAG WEEK! THERE'S ENOUGH STUDENTS ON BOARDS TO DO IT!!

Advertisement