Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato & Basil sauce???

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have looked at various books and they all have variations on this sauce but I am looking for a personal recommendation & recipe for a good tomato & basil pasta sauce. I am doing weightwatches and this would be great to use a base for adding other ingredients to for a low fat dinner.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sweat a crushed clove of garlic in a little olive oil for a minute (don't let it burn, keep the heat low). Throw in a tin of chopped tomatoes, a heaped teaspoon of dried basil or a handful of chopped fresh basil, a squirt of tomato puree, a teaspoon of sugar and salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until it's darker and thicker. The only points in this recipe are in the tiny drop of olive oil and the spoonful of sugar ;). I've been making mine this way for years and it's way nicer than anything you'll find in a jar.
    To vary this sauce you can fry off mushrooms, bacon bits, onions, chilli, peppers or anything you fancy at the start before adding the garlic - and apart from the bacon, none of those count as points either.

Advertisement