Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Ryanair] The Carriage of unaccompanied minors!!

• 18-08-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

[URL="HTTP://WWW.RYANAIR.COM/SITE/FI/FAQS.PHP?SECT=CHD&QUEST=UAM"]RYANAIR'S POLICY ON THE CARRIAGE OF UNACCOMPANIED MINORS [/URL]

Hi there, hoping I could get a clearer picture on all this by getting your valuable feedback.

Ok, this is the situation: My younger brother is flying out from Kerry airport to Frankfurt, Germany to visit me very soon. He is currently 15 years old, however – two days after he arrives here he turns 16. He returns to Ireland a week later.

Problem is – the person that booked the flight for him booked him as an adult. Since Ryanair recently (2o May I believe) re-jigged their child/adult regulations this means that technically he should have a child ticket (and have an adult/guardian accompany him on the flight, which is NOT going to be the case, although he will be collected from the airport obviously).

Booked prior 20th May: Kids age 14/15 are allowed to travel unaccompanied once a form of indemnity is filled out at check-in of EACH departure airport, by a parent or guardian.

Booked after 20th May: Age 14/15 are not allowed to travel unaccompanied whatsoever unless accompanied by a parent/guardian named on the same booking.

PLEASE NOTE FOR TRAVEL FROM THE 1st OCTOBER 2009 ALL CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 16 YEARS MUST TRAVEL ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT (OVER 16 YEARS) BOOKED ON THE SAME RESERVATION.

What I don’t understand is what happens to all the children that need to travel unaccompanied between the 20th May and 1st October? Seems like a bit of an issue surely?

The way I see it my brother has three different options.

1. Do you think it’s possible to just leave him off with his adult ticket and hope they don’t even realize(unlikely I’d say, more likely is that they spot it and through some negotiation and begging they allow him on with the form of indemnity)

OR

2. Do you think I need to reschedule?

OR

3. Same as the first option with the difference of asking to fill out a form of indemnity at the check-in desk (even though he’s got an adult ticket)?

I hope I’m getting my point across. All productive feedback welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Grease Monkey

Hi,when was the ticket booked?what i make of it is that if you booked after the 20th may there will be trouble at check in if he turns up at the desk and is a minor flying by himself,Ryanair can be pretty sticky when it comes to keeping to policy,the ball is in there court as he's been booked as an adult but is still a minor and due to their new policy change,its only my two cents however,hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pgleeson

Yeah, thought as much myself but was hoping someone would tell me otherwise, oh well. The flight was only booked recently so its no help there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Enigma'

Hello OP,

First of all, do not show up at check-in in Kerry Airport unless your willing to pay a €40 fine. He must check-in online (can be done 15 days prior to travel).

He should be fine travelling on the adult ticket. It's unlikely anyone will notice, and even if they did, it's highly unlikely he'll be prevented from flying. I used to travel on adult tickets at 14/15 so I could avoid the form of indemnity, and I never encountered problems.
    Booked prior 20th May: Kids age 14/15 are allowed to travel unaccompanied once a form of indemnity is filled out at check-in of EACH departure airport, by a parent or guardian.

Booked after 20th May: Age 14/15 are not allowed to travel unaccompanied whatsoever unless accompanied by a parent/guardian named on the same booking.

These dates are insignificant. If he checks in-online, he won't encounter a Ryanair agent until he reaches the gate, and the gate agent isn't going to know when the ticket was booked, and certainly won't go to the bother of calling her colleagues to check!

Don't bother rescheduling flights etc, it's honestly not worth the hassle.
    The flight was only booked recently so its no help there.

I can't see the policy being enforced until October.

Enigma'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement