Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Round.

Options
  • 18-08-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi There,
    I was just offered a degree in Law, economics and Politics. Unfortunately, this is not the course i really want. I would like to be offered Law and Society..But i am 5 points short for it..Do you think there's any possibility i will be offered a place in the second round?? Or will i end up waiting for the results of the appeals. I'd be really greatful for any help i get!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LizzieDarling

Points and demand for law ae dropping so you probaly do have a good shot,depends what college you're applying for though
    Im depending on 2nd round too,miised pharmacy in tcd by random selection:mad:
    Feels like this cao waiting is ever gonna end!!:eek:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Anyone know about UCD Arts on second round, if 10 points short?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Anyone know about UCD Arts on second round, if 10 points short?

I'd say you're in with a good chance to get Arts..There are a lot of arts places especially in UCD..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

How so? He (my cousin) was 10pts. short and Arts has never dropped on second round?

How so? He (my cousin) was 10pts. short and Arts has never dropped on second round?

Well, i just think that a lot of people would have Arts in UCD as their 3rd r 4th choices. In the second round, they could be offered something higher up, like Arts in Trinity..This will leave place for students like you who just missed it by 5 or 10 points!! I hope you get what your looking for anyway! Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Does medicine ever go down in round 2, or is that the kinda course that nobody declines?

Piste wrote: »
    Does medicine ever go down in round 2, or is that the kinda course that nobody declines?

You may have a chance of getting medicine in Galway as a lot of students who got medicine in Galway will be offered a place in medicine in a dublin university and therefore will leave other students in with a chance of getting the Galway place!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Monkey09 wrote: »
    You may have a chance of getting medicine in Galway as a lot of students who got medicine in Galway will be offered a place in medicine in a dublin university and therefore will leave other students in with a chance of getting the Galway place!
    How do you work that out?!

Everyone gets one Level 8 offer through the CAO system, there are not multiple offers from the colleges to the same student ... in fact that's exactly what the CAO is there to prevent!

Piste, I'm sure it can happen, but I wouldn't imagine it happens very often ...

How do you work that out?!

Everyone gets one Level 8 offer through the CAO system, there are not multiple offers from the colleges to the same student ... in fact that's exactly what the CAO is there to prevent!

Piste, I'm sure it can happen, but I wouldn't imagine it happens very often ...

What do you mean everyone gets one CAO offer?? Are you forgetting about the second round or something. You are given an offer in round one and then, if there are any available places in a course you had higher up in your order of preferece, you can be offered it...
    Admittedly, this happening with medicine is fairly slim...

What do you mean everyone gets one CAO offer?? Are you forgetting about the second round or something.
    No, ofc I'm not!

If I must spell it out ... everyone gets one and only one Level 8 offer through the CAO system in Round 1, whatever about later rounds.
    You are given an offer in round one and then, if there are any available places in a course you had higher up in your order of preferece, you can be offered it...
    Gee, thanks, I never knew! :)

What do YOU mean by ...
    ...as a lot of students who got medicine in Galway will be offered a place in medicine in a dublin university and therefore will leave other students in with a chance of getting the Galway place!
    Only one offer (at Level 8) will be made to students in Round 1 ... so who are these applicants "who got medicine in Galway" but "will be offered a place in medicine in a dublin university"?

In other news ... I see a note in to-days paper that the level of acceptances of Round 1 places are up on last year, at this stage at least. It says that approx. 2,000 more students had accepted their offer by the end of yesterday than at the same time last year.

Of course, this information should be treated with caution ... it does not necessarily mean that there will be less places available in Round 2. It could just mean that more people are accepting their offers online ... or that with the current economic climate, people are very sure that they are heading to college, and don't have the option of employment to weigh up ... or just that more people are happy with the offer they got, and don't need much time to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

The knowledge known about how the cao to some people is shocking to me.
    Listen to the mods im pretty sure theyre right!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

looking for a 30 point either decrease in Round 2 or a rise in rechecks. Happy enough with what I got until I saw that basically all my no hopers came within 40 points of what I got :mad: I'm really just doing it in vain but it's worth a shot imo. If I've accepted my offer and I wind up with the points for round 2 I assume I can accept it can't I?

If any of your higher preferences drop in points in Round 2, and you then have enough points for them you will get a new offer, yes.

See the CAO sticky at the top of the forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Piste wrote: »
    Yup.My sister did her LC about 7 years ago and got offered medicine in round 2 on 565 points . . . she declined it though:confused: . . .So people do decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Omg. Just need UCD med to drop 2 points...

No, ofc I'm not!

If I must spell it out ... everyone gets one and only one Level 8 offer through the CAO system in Round 1, whatever about later rounds.

What do YOU mean by ... Only one offer (at Level 8) will be made to students in Round 1 ... so who are these applicants "who got medicine in Galway" but "will be offered a place in medicine in a dublin university"?

In other news ... I see a note in to-days paper that the level of acceptances of Round 1 places are up on last year, at this stage at least. It says that approx. 2,000 more students had accepted their offer by the end of yesterday than at the same time last year.

Of course, this information should be treated with caution ... it does not necessarily mean that there will be less places available in Round 2. It could just mean that more people are accepting their offers online ... or that with the current economic climate, people are very sure that they are heading to college, and don't have the option of employment to weigh up ... or just that more people are happy with the offer they got, and don't need much time to think about it.

What im trying to say is if places in Trinity and UCD are not filled in Round 1...mORE THAN LIKELY THE STUDENT WHO WERE OFFERED gALWAY WILL ACCEPT THOSE PLACES in the 2nd round and student who were not offered medicine the first time round at all will then be offered it...
    I know a number of students whom this has happened to! I am 100 per cent sure this is what happens! I know my facts!

No, ofc I'm not!

What do YOU mean by ... Only one offer (at Level 8) will be made to students in Round 1 ... so who are these applicants "who got medicine in Galway" but "will be offered a place in medicine in a dublin university"?

Also, it is normal that more or less everyone accepts their first offer...I have done this myself actually (even though, i have little or no intention of doing this course!) Every expert will advise you to accept your first offer even if it is not what you really want! This way, when round 2 starts, you may be offered some other course which is higher in your order of preferece but if you are not offered any other course in round 2, you will still have what was offered to you in Round 1..In other words, you won't be in the situation that you will be left with nothing! You should only ignore your round 1 offer if you are full sure you will not be doing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Im just curious about this. My friend applied to RCSI as her first choice to do physiotherapy. She got 510 in the LC. The points ended up being 510*. Due to random selection, she wasnt offered a place. I think there are around 40 places on offer in the first place. Is it likely that she will get a place in the second round offers? Or do the points normally go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Im just curious about this. My friend applied to RCSI as her first choice to do physiotherapy. She got 510 in the LC. The points ended up being 510*. Due to random selection, she wasnt offered a place. I think there are around 40 places on offer in the first place. Is it likely that she will get a place in the second round offers? Or do the points normally go up?

The points never go up in the second round!!!!! She might get lucky and the random selection might disappear or she might get lucky and be one of those randomly selected in Round 2. All is not lost yet!

Cateym wrote: »
    The points never go up in the second round!!!!! She might get lucky and the random selection might disappear or she might get lucky and be one of those randomly selected in Round 2. All is not lost yet!

Really? Or maybe when I hear " the points will go up", it means that people who got say physio in UL with 565 points say in the first round, but in the second round got RCSI and decide to take this. That could happen with a few people Id say. Obviously the person with the 565 (515 or 520, whatever) will be given the place instead of the person who got 510. Is physio in RCSI popular anyway? I would have thought people would more likely aim for UL or UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Really? Or maybe when I hear " the points will go up", it means that people who got say physio in UL with 565 points say in the first round, but in the second round got RCSI and decide to take this. That could happen with a few people Id say. Obviously the person with the 565 (515 or 520, whatever) will be given the place instead of the person who got 510. Is physio in RCSI popular anyway? I would have thought people would more likely aim for UL or UCD.

I think what you mind mean is that if there is high demand for a course the points generally go up (see points for nursing this year.) I'm not sure what you are getting at in your example. Someone who got 565 in would have gotten RCSI in the first round if they had ranked it above UL? Maybe what you mean is that someone who got RCSI in first round but UL was 1st choice might end up getting UL in second round so a place in RCSI will free up and be offered to another applicant. Physio is popular as a course alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

i got my A level results AAAB 580 points

unfortuantly we A level people had to wait until second round, what you reckon, i could have a place for nuroscience at UCD? THE Points for it this year was 475

Cateym wrote: »
    I think what you mind mean is that if there is high demand for a course the points generally go up (see points for nursing this year.) I'm not sure what you are getting at in your example. Someone who got 565 in would have gotten RCSI in the first round if they had ranked it above UL? Maybe what you mean is that someone who got RCSI in first round but UL was 1st choice might end up getting UL in second round so a place in RCSI will free up and be offered to another applicant. Physio is popular as a course alright.

Yes thats what I mean. I apologise for being inaccurate, but Im doing two things at once at the moment and it was just something that had passed my mind that second and I typed it in. As I am not in this situation myself I only gave it one second of thought.

logic123 wrote: »
    i got my A level results AAAB 580 points

unfortuantly we A level people had to wait until second round, what you reckon, i could have a place for nuroscience at UCD? THE Points for it this year was 475

Congratulations!!!:D Wow thats brilliant! You obviously deserve it. I dont have a clue if you'll have a place in nueroscience. How many places are there to be offered in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

not sure but im hoping with 580 points i get one of my options

ive went for neuroscience

theorecticl physics

mathmatical sciences

physics and chemsitry of advanced marerials

logic123 wrote: »
    not sure but im hoping with 580 points i get one of my options

ive went for neuroscience

theorecticl physics

mathmatical sciences

physics and chemsitry of advanced marerials

Hopefully you'll get what you want. Good Luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paddy54321

hi i got my a-level results back aswell and got 340. I applied for electrical or electronic engineering which is 350. anyone think theres much chance it could come down by 10 points in round 2? its really annoying me worrying about it.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

paddy54321 wrote: »
    hi i got my a-level results back aswell and got 340. I applied for electrical or electronic engineering which is 350. anyone think theres much chance it could come down by 10 points in round 2? its really annoying me worrying about it.

thanks

depends where. It could possibly :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paddy54321

NoHands wrote: »
    depends where. It could possibly :p

UCD??? :confused:

• Advertisement

paddy54321 wrote: »

thanks
    No-one really knows, dude ... and anyone predicting for you is just taking a stab in the dark, tbh, and you shouldn't take too much notice.

Ten points is a fair bit of an ask, 5 points would probably be more likely, obviously ... but then again, it all depends on who accepts places, who doesn't ... the honest truth is, we don't know.

Advertisement