Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro chipping.

Options
  • 18-08-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Can anyone tell me what is the story with micro chipping and vaccinating dogs and cats? can you do a course in it or can anyone do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well vaccinating is a very tricky thing. Some people do it themselves, personally I prefer professionals to do it.
    Microchipping is again done by the vet, I really don't know anyone who's microchipped their own.
    I doubt there's a course for vaccinations/microchipping, but there is probably a veterinary assistant course or something perhaps? Are you looking into becoming a vet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

No, microchipping and vaccinations can only be carried out (legally) by veterinary surgeons. Even veterinary nurses can only do them under the direction of a vet.
    Please leave it to the experts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 janvrin

i was looking into doing a course and couldn't find any was just wondering. any more information would be great if anyone has any

I hear UCD do a great course, its called 'Degree in Veterinary Medicine'
    Takes 5 years though, don't think this is what you had in mind :)

Sure you can probably buy vaccines and microchips online and give them yourself, but there are many reasons you shouldn't do this, I believe its been covered through many heated arguments on this forum already!
    There are no 'courses' as such for the administration of vaccines and chips, unfortunately its not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

The SPCA do it for free I think...or for a very small fee.

Please leave it to the professionals :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

I work for the nspca and no sadly we dont do it for free but alot cheaper then private vets. Go to the clinic in Drumcondra opposite the skylon hotal and enquire if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Although both vaccinating and microchipping is a very easy procedure, there isnt a "course" in either one on their own. Before vaccination is done a vet will ensure the animal is of sound health (only they are qualified enough to determine that) and the supply of those vaccines is heavily licensed. I wouldnt trust the net for buying these whatsoever.

Anything involving pharmaceuticals and the net id stay well clear of unless you know exactly what you are doing.

the reason i ask is i know of rescue group who do this themselves and i have seen it first hand and wanted to see if i had grounds to challenge them or go to spca to see if they could do anything about this. if you just answer the questions asked and give an answer it would be great instead of assuming i wanted to do it myself

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    I hear UCD do a great course, its called 'Degree in Veterinary Medicine'
    Takes 5 years though, don't think this is what you had in mind :)

Sure you can probably buy vaccines and microchips online and give them yourself, but there are many reasons you shouldn't do this, I believe its been covered through many heated arguments on this forum already!
    There are no 'courses' as such for the administration of vaccines and chips, unfortunately its not how it works.
    especially this reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

janvrin wrote: »
    the reason i ask is i know of rescue group who do this themselves and i have seen it first hand and wanted to see if i had grounds to challenge them or go to spca to see if they could do anything about this. if you just answer the questions asked and give an answer it would be great instead of assuming i wanted to do it myself
    Why would you want to challenge them? :confused:

How do you know for a fact that they have no veterinary training?

• Advertisement

guess you right why bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

In fairness you said you wanted to do a course and could people give you information, so that's why some people responded about courses. Next time make your question more clear.

How do you mean a 'rescue group' ? Are they a shelter or random people?

i was looking into doing a course and couldn't find any was just wondering. any more information would be great if anyone has any

Eh, OP, no-one was assuming you wanted to do the course, as you had already stated that you were looking into it! Please make your questions more specific in future.
    And, if you are looking for this information just to catch someone out, I suggest you get onto the Veterinary Council of Ireland, they are the people who can tell you exactly who is legally allowed to vaccinate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cesarbart

if you dont know exactly how to do it, then dont. regarding microchipping, i know people that do it themselves but im gonna leave it to my vet.

Advertisement