Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranting and raving forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ludo wrote: »
    Whine eh? Is any reply now a whine? Is you reply to this thread a whine?

Yes, I'm an aul contrary cun*
    Psychological affects for letting them dress the same when they want to? Really? Proof please. Anyway, this is completely OTT so take it to the parenting forum if you want to discuss it further with me. Oops...;)

I'm not going to go into it here, but should I ever be allowed to post in parenting again, I'll be more than happy to discuss with you.

you can do your own research tho.

But on a discussion forum and every single other forum here you at least expect the right to post a valid, polite response. Not to get the post deleted and a possible infraction for it.

But the whole idea is they don't want any valid polite response's the hint is in the name "ranting" not personal issues.

the threads would be full of jumped up muppets who think they have the answers to all life's problems no one wants to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Twins should never ever be dressed the same though :pac:

This statement is so true that it overwhelms any argument I could make here re: ranting and raving.

Now, what were we discussing? :)

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Larianne wrote: »
    It's only the internet ffs.

In fairness, that is the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard from a mod. If it's only the internet, why can't we have a go at the OP in ranting and raving? Why can't we insult in a personal, deep and profound way? Why can't slander, libel or otherwise ruin peoples reputation? Cop on.

I'd love to do all these things by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fair point and apologies...post edited. I know it is a very difficult forum to moderate and don't think I am having a go at the mods. Just the idea of the forum itself.

Well, you don't like the forum. That's fair enough. I myself don't like many of the forums on boards.ie, so I just ignore them.

Big_G wrote: »
    In fairness, that is the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard from a mod. If it's only the internet, why can't we have a go at the OP in ranting and raving? Why can't we insult in a personal, deep and profound way? Why can't slander, libel or otherwise ruin peoples reputation? Cop on.

unfortunately some people mods or not do think we live in their puter.

• Advertisement

OP, I bet you were going to ask the OP did they even have kids weren't you?

We know your sort.

ntlbell wrote: »
    It seems you're upset because what was ranted about hit a point of yours and you want to whine back at the OP.

So on this score the OP may be a bit OTT but has a very valid point and there literally tons of points made on boards every single day that will upset someone else

be them parents

gay

lesbians

on the dole

skangers

whatever the case maybe

no one is forcing you to read the forum.

my 2c

Yes! We do want to have a go at OP sometimes. God, is that not the whole point of this thread?

With regard to posts upsetting people, also agreed. But in other fora we're allowed a comeback. Again, I would have thought this point was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I just think the OP is making a huge issue out of a forum, silly to some, where you can let off some steam. The forum is moderated very well and none of the above things happen in it. If you read the charter before posting you know what it's about. Don't like it, don't view/post in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well, you don't like the forum. That's fair enough. I myself don't like many of the forums on boards.ie, so I just ignore them.

and its as simple as that, why get riled up about a forum you dont like, just dont click into it! problem solved!

*Sigh* I'm tempted to make a joke about appeasement and the invasion of Poland with regard to ignoring wrongs but I don't think it would go down too well.

I would love to be able to ignore it, because most of it is garbage, one step above the moronic postings of AH, but its like a crash on the motorway. Sometimes you have to gawp and wonder how someone could be so stupid. I'm not one of those retards that slows down though. I would like to ban people from driving on the motorway if they crash there and it's not due to mechanical faults because you have to be stupid to have a crash on the motorway. Just like I would love to reply to some of the cretinous comments in R&R.

Anyways, I think with regard to the above analogy:
    Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes! We do want to have a go at OP sometimes. God, is that not the whole point of this thread?

With regard to posts upsetting people, also agreed. But in other fora we're allowed a comeback. Again, I would have thought this point was obvious.

and i would have thought why R&R users don't want is it obvious

making this thread futile.

simply go into parenting and start a thread on dressing lil shiotes in the same clothes if you want to have a proper discussion.

ntlbell wrote: »
    and i would have thought why R&R users don't want is it obvious

making this thread futile.

simply go into parenting and start a thread on dressing lil shiotes in the same clothes if you want to have a proper discussion.

I wouldn't because I think it is an inane thing to discuss in the first place. The only thing I think worse than dressing kids alike is dressing them to match their parents, but that is neither here nor there.

I am an occasional R&R user, and I would relish the descent into a Thunderdome style brawl occasionally. So not all R&R users a creatures of fear, not wanting to defend their opinions.

I do agree that when I'm in serious rant mode that if someone decides to take the piss and post against me it could incur serious wrath. But as someone previously said, it's the internet, ffs.

I wouldn't because I think it is an inane thing to discuss in the first place. The only thing I think worse than dressing kids alike is dressing them to match their parents, but that is neither here nor there.

I am an occasional R&R user, and I would relish the descent into a Thunderdome style brawl occasionally. So not all R&R users a creatures of fear, not wanting to defend their opinions.

I do agree that when I'm in serious rant mode that if someone decides to take the piss and post against me it could incur serious wrath. But as someone previously said, it's the internet, ffs.

trust me I've had to stop myself a few times from pulling the trigger in R&R forgetting about rant only.

It can be hard!

I am an occasional R&R user, and I would relish the descent into a Thunderdome style brawl occasionally.

So go post in the Thunderdome when you're in that sort of mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Being a parent of twins myself, who insist on dressing the same a lot of the time, I find this statement completely ignorant. How do I address it within the charter?

simple....start your own thread called "people questioning my parenting" and rant about people that way, then you will have people agreeing with you, there wont be an unholy sh!t storm, and everybody would be happy!

cat+swipe.jpg

You're probably right though. Except that it seems to be forum for halfwits to come up with the most sophmoric sniggerworthy slags so they can all circle jerk and laugh at each other.

Oh, god, stuck in rant mode, can't stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Exactly. If anyone wants to challenge me to a Dome Duel or something in the Thunderdome because I hate seeing kids dressed the same, send me a PM. If you really think your opinion on the matter is worth verbally abusing someone over such a trivial item, I'm up for it.

I know I started the thread in R&R, and it is a trivial matter. But thats the beauty of R&R.

Person 1: THIS THING ANNOYS ME!
    Person 2: THAT ANNOYS ME TOO!
    Person 3: I disagree
    Mod: PERSON 3 BANNED FOR A WEEK!

It lets you get these trivial things out of your system without having to have long drawn-out discussions where by the end, both people still have the same opinion they had in the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You're probably right though. Except that it seems to be forum for halfwits to come up with the most sophmoric sniggerworthy slags so they can all circle jerk and laugh at each other.

^ -
    O.o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Mod: Post deleted, GWTR please
    FYP

Exactly. If anyone wants to challenge me to a Dome Duel or something in the Thunderdome because I hate seeing kids dressed the same, send me a PM. If you really think your opinion on the matter is worth verbally abusing someone over such a trivial item, I'm up for it.

I know I started the thread in R&R, and it is a trivial matter. But thats the beauty of R&R.

It lets you get these trivial things out of your system without having to have long drawn-out discussions where by the end, both people still have the same opinion they had in the beginning.

Agreed. And there is always the counter-rant. I just find the counter rant ineffective in comparison to an in thread bashing. Oh well. Rant over.

• Advertisement

simple....start your own thread called "people questioning my parenting" and rant about people that way, then you will have people agreeing with you, there wont be an unholy sh!t storm, and everybody would be happy!

exactly and you'll get lots of hugs from the other over sensitive mothers.

win win!

Oh, god, stuck in rant mode, can't stop...

It has begun! :pac:

But seriously, i wasnt trying to be bitchy with you. I just genuinely dont see why when it comes to R&R people just cant say no.
    Every day many people on boards post something I disagree with, but I dont feel the need to track them all down and challenge them en masse.
    Sometimes I'm not in the mood for discussing religion, so I stay the heck out of Atheism & Agnosticism. To that end, people who dont want to read possibly unfounded rants (at that particular time) should just avoid R&R until such time comes around when they are willing to.

Except person 3 doesn't get banned for a week (unless they are serial offenders who have been warned several times before and are actively taking the piss).

Ah, Slidey beat me to it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It has begun! :pac:

But seriously, i wasnt trying to be bitchy with you. I just genuinely dont see why when it comes to R&R people just cant say no.
    Every day many people on boards post something I disagree with, but I dont feel the need to track them all down and challenge them en masse.
    Sometimes I'm not in the mood for discussing religion, so I stay the heck out of Atheism & Agnosticism. To that end, people who dont want to read possibly unfounded rants (at that particular time) should just avoid R&R until such time comes around when they are willing to.

the difference is that on every other forum you could in fact have discussion if you happened to be in the mood, it's your choice. Except for R&R, which is the safe haven for idiots posting pointless, mindless, uneducated and misinformed crap without fear of anyone being allowed to point it out. It's the toddlers AH where the OP is protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

copacetic wrote: »
    the difference is that on every other forum you could in fact have discussion if you happened to be in the mood, it's your choice. Except for R&R, which is the safe haven for idiots posting pointless, mindless, uneducated and misinformed crap without fear of anyone being allowed to point it out. It's the toddlers AH where the OP is protected.
    R&R, brilliant isn't it!!!!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They aren't being protected. They just want to have a bit of a bitch or a moan with out having to get into a big debate. Have you ever bitched about something only to have someone trying to rationalise it and you just couldn't be bothered get into one about it. That's what the forum is for. So people can bitch and moan with other people who want to bitch and moan about the same thing. It's not about protecting silly ideas, it's about them not wanting get into a big debate.

They aren't being protected. They just want to have a bit of a bitch or a moan with out having to get into a big debate. Have you ever bitched about something only to have someone trying to rationalise it and you just couldn't be bothered get into one about it. That's what the forum is for. So people can bitch and moan with other people who want to bitch and moan about the same thing. It's not about protecting silly ideas, it's about them not wanting get into a big debate.

Then feck off to somewhere that isn't a discussion forum? They are being protected. Anyone who disagrees with whatever the days idiotic untrue 'rant' is, has their post deleted. How is that not protecting the poor little ranters? They are blissfully happy in their stupidity? Is that what its about? It may not be about protecting silly ideas, but thats exactly what is happening every day.

What I like about boards is the decent level of knowledge and exchange of views, R&R is dragging the level of boards down imo and we are allowing it to do so as a policy. Which is pretty impressive, who knew we could get lower.

R&R is dragging the level of boards down imo and we are allowing it to do so as a policy.

Oh get over yourself. What else drags down boards? The Cuckoo's Nest? The Mustard forum? Conspiracy Theories?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What I like about boards is the decent level of knowledge and exchange of views, R&R is dragging the level of boards down imo and we are allowing it to do so as a policy. Which is pretty impressive, who knew we could get lower.

Because R&R is so much worse than the thunderdome where people call each other pedophiles and retarded numpties. There are plenty of forum which don't fit into your view of boards. It doesn't mean we are gonna shut down or change all these other forums.

• Advertisement

Because R&R is so much worse than the thunderdome where people call each other pedophiles and retarded numpties. There are plenty of forum which don't fit into your view of boards. It doesn't mean we are gonna shut down or change all these other forums.

Well personally I don't think saying it's no worse than some other forum is a good enough reason to have it. Is that really all we've got?

This thread is about the R&R forum, not about any of the others, if someone started a thread on them I'd jump in with my opinion. Or maybe not, that'd be up to me. Unless of course, the thread was in R&R. Then your opinion would only be allowed if you agreed with whatever the OP said.

Advertisement