Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Timetable

• 18-08-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am starting the Dip next week and will be starting TP as soon as the schools re-open.

I have heard nothing from my school yet (since I arranged the TP) and was wondering about my timetable. At this stage I don't even know exactly when the school is re-opening!

One teacher friend of mine (different school) received her timetable a few weeks back but reckons that her school is normally exceptionally early on this matter. Another friend of mine said he usually receives his timetable only a few days before going back.

I would not have the slightest problem ringing or calling to the school (assuming there are people around) about this but don't really want to bother them if they are maybe currently in the process of mailing this stuff out.

But obviously the nearer it gets the more a little concern slips because naturally I want to start getting into the mental zone for the coming school year.

I realise that every school is different so there might be no 'general' answer to this question - but I was just wondering what the usual arrangements are for informing teachers of their timetable. In other words should I contact the school now or would things normally run this late?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The schools re-open on the 31st August.

We've had our timetables since before we left for the summer, but I have colleagues in other schools do not have them yet. I know adjustments are going to have to be made to ours because of the latest cuts, so it will all be up in the air for a bit when we go back I'd say.

Then we will all get the swine flu and the Irish Independent will call us lazy work dodgers.

There will be someone in the school. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ring the school and find out when it opens! As for a timetable, schools vary. I get mine the day we go back, if I'm lucky, but some schools send them out weeks early. Mention the timetable, but don't push it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Sabatini wrote: »
    I am starting the Dip next week and will be starting TP as soon as the schools re-open.

I have heard nothing from my school yet (since I arranged the TP) and was wondering about my timetable. At this stage I don't even know exactly when the school is re-opening!

One teacher friend of mine (different school) received her timetable a few weeks back but reckons that her school is normally exceptionally early on this matter. Another friend of mine said he usually receives his timetable only a few days before going back.

I would not have the slightest problem ringing or calling to the school (assuming there are people around) about this but don't really want to bother them if they are maybe currently in the process of mailing this stuff out.

But obviously the nearer it gets the more a little concern slips because naturally I want to start getting into the mental zone for the coming school year.

I realise that every school is different so there might be no 'general' answer to this question - but I was just wondering what the usual arrangements are for informing teachers of their timetable. In other words should I contact the school now or would things normally run this late?

I got my timetable on the first day of school and it was added to and changed around for about two weeks after that, it just depends on things. The probable reason why they have not sent you a timetable or phoned you is because they are very busy at the moment and as you will notice after a few weeks, hdip students are at the bottom of the principal's and VP's list of priorities.

Don't worry at all, enjoy the rest of your time off. The college too is flexible and will understand if you don't have a furnished timetable straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm back to school on the 26th and we don't get our timetables until the day we got back usually. It depends from school to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sabatini

Thanks for the replies.

The two teacher friends I mentioned are back in their schools on Thursday 27th, so I am conscious that I might be due in at some stage next week which is informing my current level of curiosity!

I will give them a buzz tomorrow I think - at least to find out when the place is opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

We go back on Thurs 27th as do most of the teachers I know - students gradually come back over the Fri, Mon and Tues ( special orientation days for First years and TYs). No sign of our timetables yet but our school is always very late - will probably get them just a few days before we return.

There will almost cetainly be staff in your school now, the Principal and Deputy P. should be there finalising classes or timetables/ planning/ still interviewing even. You should give the Principal a call asap-don't sound like you're impatiently waiting for timetable ( no doubt you are!) , just say you want to confirm when you are starting and how much you're looking forward to it etc. No harm in giving a good first impression as this time next year you'll be looking for a job and it's important to get a good reference from the H.Dip year.

Hope it all goes well for you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sabatini

Thanks again for all the advice on this one. I called the school yesterday and spoke to the principal (very very pleasant) who filled me on the basics about actually turning up (starting 27th August) and the rest. Timetable will be there when we go in, or perhaps still being worked on!

Just in case anyone is in the same situation as me, it does seem a good idea to ring.

Advertisement