Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricky situation

Options
  • 18-08-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok this isn't a "problem" as such, in fact it may be a minor miracle, but nonetheless its a tricky situation and I feel like I could use some advice. Complicated story so please bear with me.

The scene: Today is Tuesday of Week 3. I've been looking for a job for a while. Many interviews have been arranged. On a Thursday of Week 1 I travelled to the UK for an interview. On the Friday they phoned to offer me the job. I accepted, and agreed that I would come to the UK to start work on the Monday of Week 3, return to Ireland to wrap up my affairs on Week 4, and return to the UK permanently on Week 5. All well and good so far.

However, I also had an interview scheduled for the Monday of Week 2 so I had it anyway, as the job (lets call it the Ireland Job) was very very appealing, much more so than the UK Job. It went very well, and as I told them I had had another offer, they rushed me through 4 more interviews during Week 2. Yesterday, I started the UK Job. Today, I received a phonecall indicating that the Irish Company will be offering me the Irish Job.

I'm obviously delighted, 2 buses have come at once for me, and I want to return to Ireland to take the Irish Job asap. However there are some complications...
    - I want to let the UK Company down as gently as possible, but I also don't want to waste my own time serving out my notice period here. In fact I haven't even signed a contract yet. I would have to prefer not to return to the UK for Week 5, so I can avoid having to look for permanent accommodation etc.
    - I have not actually received a formal/written offer from the Irish Company yet, they are a large bureaucratic organisation and some red tape must be dealt with. The HR person I have dealt with (who has been wonderful and did her best to accelerate the interview process) says that occasionally it can take many weeks for a formal offer/contract to materialise, but that she will do everything she can to do it sooner. But basically I don't want to burn my bridges and pack in the UK Job before the Irish Job is 100% definitely in the bag. I have no reason to suspect that they will screw me over, but you never know.

So how can I delay the process of signing my UK contract until the Irish one is sorted out? Can I skip the notice period and just not show up some morning? I'm willing to take a small financial hit (like one week's pay) in order to nail the Irish Job and start there asap.

Advertisement