Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual-Link Single DVI Slot - how do I run two monitors from it?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new graphics card and it has a single DVI-I (dual link) - 29 pin combined DVI socket.

Is it possible for me to run my two LCD monitors off the one slot, or will I have to use the analogue VGA port on the card too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm getting a new graphics card and it has a single DVI-I (dual link) - 29 pin combined DVI socket.

Is it possible for me to run my two LCD monitors off the one slot, or will I have to use the analogue VGA port on the card too?

You'll have to use the VGA as well to run two monitors off it.
    Dual link is used to drive resolutions higher than 1920x1200...eg 30 inch LCDs which are 2560x1600

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Berkut wrote: »
    You'll have to use the VGA as well to run two monitors off it.
    But can I go VGA to DVI?

I currently have the second monitor plugged into the VGA and the quality isn't great compared to the first monitor on DVI - screen looks a little washed out - both monitors are the same make and model BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

But can I go VGA to DVI?

I currently have the second monitor plugged into the VGA and the quality isn't great compared to the first monitor on DVI - screen looks a little washed out - both monitors are the same make and model BTW.

DVI is backwards compatible with VGA, so technically the answer is yes. But it will still only be VGA quality, not DVI. So the net effect will be the same.

Advertisement