Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into shape

Options
  • 18-08-2009 3:44pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying (again) to get into some kind of shape - no harm to record progress (or otherwise) here.

I'm 173cm (5'8") or so tall, currently around 97kg. That makes me technically obese, although I don't have much time for that whole BMI thing. I don't have a goal weight. I just want to be in better shape, feel fitter, that sort of thing.

Since last week I've been doing daily interval training at home, around ten minutes in the morning. My lifestyle doesn't really lend itself to gym time, but I have a treadmill at home, so I'm doing intervals of running - resting - bodyweight - resting - running - and so on.

The plan is to lengthen the training intervals and shorten the rest times, and also to lengthen the overall workout with more exercises. So far I'm still on 30 seconds training and 30 seconds resting, but I'll probably adjust those shortly.

I'm also on a short-term elimination diet, which means no alcohol, no added sugar, no dairy, no wheat, and a few other things. I'll keep that up until my trip to Denmark at the end of the month, and might resume it afterwards.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Wish me luck!
    Good luck. :)

Sounds like youve got the right kind of head on for it. My only input would be to extend beyond 10 minutes... even if its every other day, do a longer stint of training.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Oryx wrote: »
    Good luck. :)
    Cheers. :)
    Sounds like youve got the right kind of head on for it. My only input would be to extend beyond 10 minutes... even if its every other day, do a longer stint of training.
    Yeah... a short workout in the morning fits nicely into my schedule and helps to get me kickstarted. I'm so not a morning person.

I'm also 38, so I need to be realistic about what I can achieve. I'll take on board your suggestion of longer workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Dietary changes should be long term, especially if you're obese (which at your weight and height, unless you're a body builder, you probably are). And I know it's tough, but you should start aiming towards increasing your exercise duration. This will take time however.

Oh yeah, and good luck btw!! Shedding the pounds is well worth it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm also 38, so I need to be realistic about what I can achieve. I'll take on board your suggestion of longer workouts.
    Snap. And I went from 0-toughguy in 4 months. There are very few limits to what you can achieve. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

follow my log on cardio and you will be grand!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement