Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website Updating

• 18-08-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a simple way to update the content on a personal website? It is made in HTML wit CSS..

It is possible to edit the site with the likes of Dreamweaver and then upload the changes via FTP but as it is uses CSS- Dreamweaver does not display the site as you would see it online (looks messy- all layers and pics in wrong loctions) it is only when you preview or upload the pages that you can see them properly..

My question is- is there an easy way of editing the site online and saving the changes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I don't think there is an easy way.

You are looking for an easy way because you are tired of having to upload your changes to the server in order to view them?

If this is the case, you could try test them locally? If they are just html and CSS this shouldn't be an issue. Dreamweaver is good at downloading all the website content and syncing it when you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

I don't think there is an easy way.

You are looking for an easy way because you are tired of having to upload your changes to the server in order to view them?

If this is the case, you could try test them locally? If they are just html and CSS this shouldn't be an issue. Dreamweaver is good at downloading all the website content and syncing it when you need to.

I dont have a problem with changing them locally and uploading them..

My problem is that when I open them using dreamweaver they dont display as they appear online because of CSS- they appear with the pictures and text ontop of eachother and not in the correct location which makes it difficult to edit in design mode..

Is there a more straightforward way to edit these site pages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah dreamweaver is odd like that. But it shouldn't really be that bad unless you are doing something seriously wrong. I've never had too serious of an issue with dreamweaver apart from getting all the different browsers to display it the same way.

Maybe you should ask on the development forum for help with your html and css. There might be an issue in how you are coding it.

And to answer you question, there is no dreamweaver (2.0/cloud computing/server side) type of application.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Your best bet is to look into re designing the site using a content management system (CMS) if it requires regular updating, Joomla, Drupal even Wordpress will provide this functioning

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

yoyo wrote: »
    Your best bet is to look into re designing the site using a content management system (CMS) if it requires regular updating, Joomla, Drupal even Wordpress will provide this functioning

Nick

Yes this CMS is what im looking for.. it sounds a bit complicated to setup but would be alot easier to update and maintain the site with. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Converting HTML into a CMS Made Simple template is not a complicated task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

How about trying http://www.cushycms.com/ if you already have it in html and CSS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

It sounds to me that all your css codes are pointing to a different location. An easier way to edit and upload your files is login to your website control panel if you have one and edit the code there. All you will need to do is save the code from it, instead of uploading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

macromedia contribute 3.

Advertisement