Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booking.com

Options
  • 18-08-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Was looking on booking.com website when I noticed a night stay in Carton house for 23euro, in a delux suite with breakfast include, sounded 2 good to be true...so I booked 2 rooms in the hotel, for a grand total of 46euro. Got the confirmation email from booking.com. 10 minutes later a bloke from booking.com calls me saying that there was an error on the website and that they cannot give me the room for that price as they should have been 230euro each, I would'nt back down so he went off to talk to his boss and told me that I could have the room for 150euro, I told him no and that 23euro sounds fine to me. He said he would call me back, I checked there websites terms and conditions and there nothing to say that they can cancel a booking because off wrong price publish on there site. Anyone been in a similar situation and has it work out for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What you've got here is your classic "Invitation to Treat".

Essentially, they do not have to sell you the goods at the price advertised, especially if it was due to an error on their part. See the recent Littlewoods debacle for more information.

It sounds as if they're already being quite nice by offering you the rooms at a reduced rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

While they are not obliged to honour it they should as a good will gesture. Afterall they made the error not you.

This recent case in Venice is a good example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8202842.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

To be honest was chancing my arm, not too bothered if I get the rooms or not, it would be sweet if I did. I called NCA and they told me the same so it looks like booking.com ain't too bad offering me a room at a cheaper rate. I just checked online and the booking has'nt been cancelled.

dudara wrote: »
    What you've got here is your classic "Invitation to Treat".

I wouldn't be so sure. The confirmation email recieved from booking.com could consitute acceptance.

However I know with booking.com payment is not taken immedialty. Was this the case OP? If money is gone from your account I reckon you might have contract.

Euro_Kraut no monies have been taken from my account, as you say they might give it as a good will gesture.

• Advertisement

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Euro_Kraut no monies have been taken from my account, as you say they might give it as a good will gesture.

I'd contact Carlton House directly. They may be in a better postition to honour it than booking.com who are only agents for them. These 5 star places are generally quite easy to deal with. The staff are well trained.

What is interests me - what happens if you refuse the new price? Does the initial booking still stand and how would they go about cancelling it without your consent?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. The confirmation email recieved from booking.com could consitute acceptance.

Unfortunately not, especially since these emails are automated with no human checks. It's my understanding that until delivery of the goods/services takes place, that the "invitation to treat" clause still stands - although it does get a little hazy.

Unfortunately not, especially since these emails are automated with no human checks. It's my understanding that until delivery of the goods/services takes place, that the "invitation to treat" clause still stands - although it does get a little hazy.

Interesting. All that area of law was written in a time long before the internet unfortunately.

Interesting. All that area of law was written in a time long before the internet unfortunately.

Agreed. The principle is sound but some of the specifics might need updating.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While they are not obliged to honour it they should as a good will gesture. Afterall they made the error not you.

This recent case in Venice is a good example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8202842.stm

Its not really "they should" its about if they want to or not, there's no should about it.

If they want to they can as its a good customer experience but if they don't want to thats equally ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Accepting payment (processing the credit card) would also be acceptance.

In this case they didn't , so I don't think the op has much hope.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its not really "they should" its about if they want to or not, there's no should about it.

Eh, in my opinion they should. I didn't say they 'must'.

Fair enough? Easy on the pedantry there.

Just an update on this, got a call yesterday from Carton House to confirm my booking, the girl also clarified my room rate of 23euro per room, happy days....

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Nice one, result there.

Advertisement