Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance watch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭andun84

el tonto wrote: »
    +1 We should all know by now that we're not allowed to talk about Lance's blood on the internets. If we hadn't, he'd still be doing his testing programme. The sport of cycling is clearly the loser in all of this and we're to blame.

The problem is that AFLD have colluded with the French press in the past in a blatant attempt to discredit Lance Armstrong. That is well known. When you have those elements working together in the manner in which they have it can only ever be seen as a witch hunt when nothing is then proven. That is the only point I was making. By acting the way they have in the past they are actually making it harder for themselves to ever prove anything to the satisfaction of a sceptical Lance supporting public.

That is the only point I was making in my statement to which you took it to be an attack on this thread. It was not though I do think that there is some wild speculation going on by some amateur scientists over an issue which the greatest minds on the subject can't even agree is frankly laughable if weren't for the fact that it is someone's reputation and career you are all discussing as though what you say has no impact.

Do you never ask yourself if we get to the state where ever performance is scrutinised to the extent that anybody that is anything other than mediocre is somehow thought to be likely a doper then what is the point of the sport in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its not that its over 40. It was changed from 45.8 which I would guess is approaching a suspicious value down to 43.1, with no explanation. If it was a typo then that's all they had to say. But no reason has been given.

Just to clarify...the changed value I was referring to was in February, not during the tour. I've read that other values have been changed over the course of the season, but I don't know which ones.

The suspicious tour values being discussed relate mostly to a spike in hematocrit on a rest day.

Sorry missed that bit........

Sure doesn't everyone know AC and LA are clean....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

andun84 wrote: »
    The problem is that AFLD have colluded with the French press in the past in a blatant attempt to discredit Lance Armstrong. That is well known. When you have those elements working together in the manner in which they have it can only ever be seen as a witch hunt when nothing is then proven. That is the only point I was making. By acting the way they have in the past they are actually making it harder for themselves to ever prove anything to the satisfaction of a sceptical Lance supporting public.

That is the only point I was making in my statement to which you took it to be an attack on this thread. It was not though I do think that there is some wild speculation going on by some amateur scientists over an issue which the greatest minds on the subject can't even agree is frankly laughable if weren't for the fact that it is someone's reputation and career you are all discussing as though what you say has no impact.

Do you never ask yourself if we get to the state where ever performance is scrutinised to the extent that anybody that is anything other than mediocre is somehow thought to be likely a doper then what is the point of the sport in the first place?

SSDD

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

andun84 wrote: »

AFLD has nothing to do with this case. It's being pursued by the French Central Office against Environmental Damage and Public Health (OCLAESP).

If you're referring to the L'Equipe investigation into Armstrong's EPO positives from 1999, then that had nothing to do with AFLD either. The research was undertaken by the LNDD lab at Chatenay-Malabry, who were the original developers of the EPO test. It should be noted that the lab did not know whose samples they were. Damien Ressiot of L'Equipe got his hands on their results and then matched them with the drug testing forms held by the UCI. Amstrong himself gave the UCI permission to release the forms to Ressiot.

If you think Armstrong is being singled out by the media, well Ullrich and Basso's involvement in Puerto was leaked to the media long before any formal sanction was taken against them. Valverde's involvement was reported for nearly three years before he was actually found guilty of anything. Was there a witch hunt against them too?

Armstrong is an exception alright, but not as a victim. The media can report leaks all they want on other riders, but heaven forbid that you dig up evidence against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

blorg wrote: »
    A lot of silly speculation going on in this thread.

isnt that what the point of the thread is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

If you think Armstrong is being singled out by the media, well Ullrich and Basso's involvement in Puerto was leaked to the media long before any formal sanction was taken against them. Valverde's involvement was reported for nearly three years before he was actually found guilty of anything. Was there a witch hunt against them too?

Ah, but they're all dopers, see? That's the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I get so f##kin depressed when I read crap like this. You should all hang your heads in shame. You lot are not cyclists, but haters and rumourmongers.
    I fell sorry for you if you cant dream. If our sport has a fault it is that it has been too honest in its endevours to catch cheating. LA has raised the profile of our beloved sport to a level never hertofore imagined, and this is the thanks he gets. You people make me sick.

This thread should be locked, it serves no purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

ROK ON wrote: »
    I get so f##kin depressed when I read crap like this. You should all hang your heads in shame. You lot are not cyclists, but haters and rumourmongers.
    I fell sorry for you if you cant dream. If our sport has a fault it is that it has been too honest in its endevours to catch cheating. LA has raised the profile of our beloved sport to a level never hertofore imagined, and this is the thanks he gets. You people make me sick.

YEAH ! and c'mon ROCK RACING while we're at it, awsome !

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread should be locked.
    Got to agree - this thread did have a purpose, but that has long been outlived.

I would suggest a new thread is started if there is anything specifically Lance-related that anyone wants to raise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

100402.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Top man Rok On. Totally agree with you. This thread is a joke and should be closed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lance is making an embarrassment of himself is no reason to stop the watch!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Diarmuid wrote: »
    no reason to stop the watch!
    .....oh yes there is .....

(well it is pantomime season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Lance is making an embarrassment of himself is no reason to stop the watch!

Thanks Diarmuid for staying on topic. Muchas dedos disparo, dude. It's a new year, and the season of comfort and joy, peace on Earth and goodwill to all men is totally over.

Let the mockery and begrudging continue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Lance Armstrong continued his campaign of criticism against Albert Contador, saying the two-time Tour de France winner “is surrounded by yes-men” and saying that he acts like “the king of Spain.”

Hey Lance,did you hear the one about the pot and the kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

WTF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQ45tzoGRI

Is there a doctor in the house?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tturns163.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

http://www.pbkblog.com/?p=2533
    Just west of his home in Austin, Lance is buildingan 8 mile stretch of cobbled road to train on. The locals are calling it Austin-Roubaix and the two million dollar project has already begun with Belgian cobblestones being imported to make the stretch as real as possible. No word yet on if there will be a sprinkler system put in to make the training sessions even more authentic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

^ Has to be a wind-up surely? And if it isn't, why can he do what anyone else would do, train in Belgium?

^ Has to be a wind-up surely? And if it isn't, why can he do what anyone else would do, train in Belgium?

Cos he has the money? Probably easier to train near your gaff regularly than fly to Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

Hot off the Twitter press:

Having dinner at my favorite spot here in Adelaide. I feel a Twitter ride coming on. Can Adelaide top Dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

lyders wrote: »
    Hot off the Twitter press:

Having dinner at my favorite spot here in Adelaide. I feel a Twitter ride coming on. Can Adelaide top Dublin??
    Prediction: no

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

blorg wrote: »
    Prediction: no

Looks like they can !

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/438593/10-000-cyclists-set-to-join-armstrong-s-adelaide-twitter-ride.html

Lance Armstrong has done it again. A one-line open invite made via micro-blogging website Twitter asking people to join Armstrong for a bike ride in Australia is likely to attract thousands of respondents.
    "Ok Adelaide... 9am Saturday. Wigley Reserve. Come one come all!" Armstrong posted on Twitter on Thursday.
    Armstrong added later: "For those wondering about Saturday Wigley Reserve ride, ride whatever kind of bike you want. Road, mtb, city, borrowed, old, new, whatever."
    Australian sprint star Robbie McEwen is also part of the ride. "I've got a feeling... Saturday's ride is going to be a good ride, massive!" McEwen commented via his Twitter site.
    An estimated 10,000 cyclists are expected to take Armstrong and McEwen up on the offer, providing something of a policing headache for local authorities.
    Seven-times Tour de France winner Armstrong is currently in Adelaide, South Australia, where he and his new RadioShack team-mates will kick off their 2010 racing season at the Tour Down Under next week.
    With a total of 2,399,705 currently 'following' Armstrong's online musings, it is no surprise that such rides attracts cyclists in their thousands.
    Armstrong arranged similar impromptu rides via Twitter last year. Thousands of local cyclists joined the Texan in Paisley, near Glasgow, and Dublin, Ireland, in August as a result of his open invites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was thinking this morning that as LA is one of the most famous twitterers, is cycling the sport that is most represented on twitter. I know a fair few people on this board twitter somewhat. I am not aware of it being such a penomenon in rugby for example. However almost every cyclist of note uses twitter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

More from his twitter, agressive Lance, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    In 2009, the tactics worked in his (Wiggins) favour and Astana were soft-pedalling a bit to not embarrass Lance

LA's reaction:
    Whatatool.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention, notice the "whatatool" at the end of the tweet.

Full article

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lance watch,
    Lance watch,
    whatchya gonna do?
    whatchya gonna do when they come for you?

Mr Magoo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lance has beer in his cereal !

The breakfast of champions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

planet armstrong on euro sport now ,paris-nice 2.50 sunday sky -euro sports

• Advertisement

Is Armstrong even racing Paris - Nice? He's not on the start list I saw

I don't give a monkeys about his lancyness, but isn't it bloody marvellous to have the season under way and on TV again? It's been a long dark winter...

Indeed. I watched Kuurne - Brussels - Kuurne over my lunch yesterday and it was fecking fantastic. Pouring rain, battered by winds, muck everywhere, only 26 finishers, racing as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Indeed. I watched Kuurne - Brussels - Kuurne over my lunch yesterday and it was fecking fantastic. Pouring rain, battered by winds, muck everywhere, only 26 finishers, racing as it should be.

Fickle much?

People were raving about this carry on back in August.
    Similar situation to TOI where 80 odd "cowards" including LA dropped out...but because KBK is a 'classic' it's "racing as it should be". :confused:

(Twas good though :D)

Zipp101 wrote: »
    Fickle much?

People were raving about this carry on back in August.
    Similar situation to TOI where 80 odd "cowards" including LA dropped out...but because KBK is a 'classic' it's "racing as it should be". :confused:

(Twas good though :D)

I think you're getting me mixed up with someone else. Here's what I said back in August.
    So what´s giving 100%? Sprinting against some other guys for 60th place? Is that what you want to see? Most pros are paid to ride their bikes and do what their told. And if they're told to climb off and keep their energy for the next race, then that´s a far more professional attitude than risking an accident or injury for nothing.

Honestly, in fairness to you, it sounds like you are quite new to the sport. 90% or so of those who start any pro race aren´t there to win. They´re there to ride for their team leaders and get the sponsors a bit of air time.

For example, 53 of 143 starters at last year´s Olympic Road Race didn´t finish. 138 of 205 starters at last year´s World Championships didn´t finish. What makes the a third tier race in Ireland so special that everyone has to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

I think you're getting me mixed up with someone else. Here's what I said back in August.

;)

My apologies. Was looking for that thread. In fairness you were about the only one!
    /

About KBK,Stannard was mad to keep jumping like that..should have saved it for the sprint IMO.Vaconsoeil rider played it very smart in the end.

• Advertisement

Zipp101 wrote: »
    ;)

My apologies. Was looking for that thread. In fairness you were about the only one!
    /

About KBK,Stannard was mad to keep jumping like that..should have saved it for the sprint IMO.Vaconsoeil rider played it very smart in the end.

But is Stannard a sprinter? Maybe he did the only thing that gave him a chance... a dig from way out.

Raam wrote: »
    But is Stannard a sprinter? Maybe he did the only thing that gave him a chance... a dig from way out.

As far as I know Stannard has a reputation as a great engine but a dim bulb. TTing to victory was probably all he could conceive of.

I thought Draxle (sp?) sandbagged magnificently. I thought he was barely hanging on with 5k to go - running on fumes - but he had the beating of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

niceonetom wrote: »
    As far as I know Stannard has a reputation as a great engine but a dim bulb. TTing to victory was probably all he could conceive of.

Jaysus, don't let Lumen hear you say that, you wouldn't know what he'd put in your sandwiches.

MadHatter wrote: »
    Jaysus, don't let Lumen hear you say that, you wouldn't know what he'd put in your sandwiches.

My domestique has the opposite problem - he's so bright that he can come up with highly plausible reasons why almost anything is a good idea. Even attempting a 3km TT to victory...

My coverage cut out between the last 10km and 2km, so I think I missed some of Stannard's earlier attacks. The impression I got from the finale is that he didn't have much of a jump on him so he probably figured the only way to win was to try and go from far out and ride away from the other two.

• Advertisement

well he's on the start list of La Vuelta de Murcia from 3rd-7th so doubt he's doing the PN.

Wonder is he purposely avoiding bert..hmm

me@ucd wrote: »
    well he's on the start list of La Vuelta de Murcia from 3rd-7th so doubt he's doing the PN.

any coverage of it do you know ,thx jw.

jwshooter wrote: »
    any coverage of it do you know ,thx jw.

I dont know but Id say cyclingfans or the other usuals will have some feeds up when it goes live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

me@ucd wrote: »

He dropped out of Catalunya to avoid an early season meeting with Contador (and Wiggins, yeah right). He's doing the Critérium International instead- they won't encounter each other until the Dauphiné Libéré at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

niceonetom wrote: »
    ...a reputation as a great engine but a dim bulb....
    Good analogy, and probably fits quite a few pros! I hope Pozzato can get both working this Spring.

Given a choice to pick one of these qualities, I wonder which one I would pick :)

Hey - Making TV commercials in fancy studios surrounded by marketing chicks sure beats riding ur ass off for 7 hours in Milan San Remo especially when you are too old to count ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That was impressively meaningless.

i do like the shack team kit. i wonder what white skin with freckles would looks like it it ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

"How bout this Lance, a TV ad which hails you as the centre of the universe"

"When can we start shooting?"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement