Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Lance's pathetic performance on Stage 1 of Crit Intl yesterday is further proof that he is not capable of decent performances this year (or from now on, ever) and he now is merely a marketing tool for Livestrong and his various sponsors.

Crit International is a serious race:

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2007/tour-de-france-cheval-p1.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I said it last week and repeat it.
    He will not ride the Tour ever again. He us digging up Levi abd Kloden at all opportunity.
    He is gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROK ON wrote: »
    He will not ride the Tour ever again. He us digging up Levi abd Kloden at all opportunity.
    He is gone.

He'll be at the Tour

he'll get dropped repeatedly

Might win a stage

The French will love him !

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

RobFowl wrote: »

I love him! There i've said it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

love or hate the man ,we all well be glued to the tv come july to see if he can finish on the podium .

his high profile has done more for cycling than any one else .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

RobFowl wrote: »
    He'll be at the Tour

he'll get dropped repeatedly

Might win a stage

I just cannot see him going to the tour to finish outside top 10. If it happens he either won't go or won't finish.
    The may has so much pride that he will not allow all he has achieved to be tarnished as an also ran.

I know all of this because when I cycle home from work I do a few Lance laps. So I feel I have a connection with the man. (That and the fact that I too have gotten off the bike when it was wet and the gradient too much).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

He just hasn't prepared properly yet.

have to agree with peter , there is only one race in the mans mind ,at his age burn out is a problem.

he will only want to peak once this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

The man is a legend, he seems quite likeable and he's racing for a good cause - personally I do think he's an inspiration, and he has my support. I don't get all the negativity and bitchyness. I think he'll do really well. Go lance!

SubLuminal wrote: »
    The man is a legend, he seems quite likeable and he's racing for a good cause - personally I do think he's an inspiration, and he has my support. I don't get all the negativity and bitchyness. I think he'll do really well. Go lance!

You can't merely dismiss it as negativity and bitterness, it's commentary, opinion and analysis on the most prolific cyclist ever.

He won 7 tours, retired, came back, now appears to be stuggling and may not have it anymore to reach the Tour podium.

Nothing wrong with people commenting on it in either point of view. If you dont like it go browse the Livestrong website some more and order 20 livestrong yellow armbands!!

I think he is starting to loose the battle against his body clock

You can't merely dismiss it as negativity and bitterness, it's commentary, opinion and analysis on the most prolific cyclist ever.

He won 7 tours, retired, came back, now appears to be stuggling and may not have it anymore to reach the Tour podium.

Nothing wrong with people commenting on it in either point of view. If you dont like it go browse the Livestrong website some more and order 20 livestrong yellow armbands!!

I think he is starting to loose the battle against his body clock

just fixed that for you

he won 7 tours retired came back to take a podium in the TDF .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I never rated him.

God only knows what Merckx, Hinault, Coppi, Anquetil, etc would have gone on to achieve if they consumed the same dope as Armstrong.

I think as a broader thing, outside the purity of cycling et all, he's come back from really bad cancer to achieve so much, and now he's still fighting, battling, this time he's battling his body in a different way, to beat his body clock, its a fantastic struggle, he's a real fighter, and a great role model - Better than those premier league footballing muppets or some rap star! I don't believe the EPO stuff, but also to be honest I don't care about it. I don't think he's on anything now and the work he's doing through livestrong is amazing, worthwhile work - yeah maybe I will get a livestrong armband, should I be ashamed of giving my money to a cancer charity now? I think it'd be a much better image for and of cycling if all cyclists, pro and amateurs got one and maybe said "hey lance, we're not necessarily so keen on you, but we can get behind the foundation, as a sport we can unite and do something good and powerful"

instead of bickering.

Anyway where's the proof of him having taken drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Jeepers, I never realised that people have such differing opinions of Lance. This is all massive news and a very new discussion. I'm shocked non of this has been mentioned before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SubLuminal,

It's not bickering to offer an opinion.

His charity work is nice and all, but there are lots of other charities not headed up by egotistical cockspanners.

I love cancer, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

ROK ON wrote: »
    He is gone.

I'd wager the radioshack sponsorship deal is dependant on him riding the tour.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lumen wrote: »
    His charity work is nice and all, but there are lots of other charities not headed up by egotistical cockspanners.

:D

| | | | |
    v v v v v

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

45 pages of this bullsh*t and nobody has told me where I can get my lance armstrong watch. I have to keep checking the clock on my phone, what a crock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Touche!

I lolled

+1 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Most of you have seen this video, but it's something I like Armstrong for. I don't think you can admire, call him great or anything else for coming through cancer but at some point in that mans life and lets not forget he is a man the same as you or I, he was told he had cancer and one which would probably kill him before he reached his 27th birthday. He has gone through something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy which makes me step back a little from my own problems and take a look at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have cancer. Buy Nike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Raam wrote: »
    I have cancer. Buy Nike.
    Another slightly bizarre Lance ad, any more we can find?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If you're that worry about cancer support Marie Keating Foundation etc, they'd me more of a help to anyone in this country than livestrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Raam wrote: »
    I have cancer. Buy Nike.

Glad someone else got there before me. Nike have a particular ability to commodify things that just weren't meant to be sold. They used a helen keller statement for a poster ffs.

If you're that worry about cancer support Marie Keating Foundation etc, they'd me more of a help to anyone in this country than livestrong.
    You missed my point, I think he deserves something, nobody ever wants or deserves to be told they've got cancer wether they're a drugged up, arrogant pr1ck or christ on a bike.

He deserves proper rigorous debate on his cycling achievement:

I found this earlier today and the first few paragraphs made me laugh.

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/News_and_notes__Roche_defends_Armstrong__Indurain_says_Armstrong_could_win_six.htm

Its nice the way he was using doctor Ferrari to help him attempt the hour record, of course not for EPO. Then he conveniently didn't bother to attempt it. Great to see two clients of Dr. Conconi defending him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

SubLuminal wrote: »
    I don't believe the EPO stuff, but also to be honest I don't care about it.
    'nuff said

( FACTS ) not gossip .

• Advertisement

Wrong, the debate is about Lance Armstrong.

Wrong, the debate is about Lance Armstrong.

whats wrong?

whats wrong?
    The fact this thread has gone on for 46 pages.

whats wrong?
    The most prolific cyclist ever is eddy merckx.

The most prolific cyclist ever is eddy merckx.

its a matter of opinion - lance has most TDF wins!

Silly me. I forgot there was only 1 race.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Silly me. I forgot there was only 1 race.:D

rookie mistake, you'll learn in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm a big fan of Lance, but I'm in no doubt that his greatest years on the bike came during an era when everyone on the bike was doping. It was impossible for him not to be doping. I've read from Lance to Landis, Bad Blood, and a few other books detailing the use of performance enhancers in cycling, and as much as it killed me to admit at the time, the arguments are pretty conclusive.

As for basing TDF wins to debate greatest ever, let's break it down a little. Let's exclude Merckx's 3 World Championships, 5 giro's a Vuelta, and multiple Classics, for a moment, and focus on that one race:
    Merckx won the points Jersey, King of the Mountains Jersey, and yellow Jersey in the SAME YEAR in '69, in '70 he again won the KOTM jersey along with the Yellow, and subsequently won the points jersey again two years running. If you have any idea about the sport, you'll know that dominating the Sprints AND the mountains is just a ridiculous feat.
    He's also got 34 stage wins to Armstrong's 22. So Armstrong wasn't even that much better in the one race he dominated.
    Then you can add in all the other tours Merckx dominated, and outside of a pretty strong man-crush, most people's opinion would be in favour of The Cannibal.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Lance, but I'm in no doubt that his greatest years on the bike came during an era when everyone on the bike was doping. It was impossible for him not to be doping. I've read from Lance to Landis, Bad Blood, and a few other books detailing the use of performance enhancers in cycling, and as much as it killed me to admit at the time, the arguments are pretty conclusive.

As for basing TDF wins to debate greatest ever, let's break it down a little. Let's exclude Merckx's 3 World Championships, 5 giro's a Vuelta, and multiple Classics, for a moment, and focus on that one race:
    Merckx won the points Jersey, King of the Mountains Jersey, and yellow Jersey in the SAME YEAR in '69, in '70 he again won the KOTM jersey along with the Yellow, and subsequently won the points jersey again two years running. If you have any idea about the sport, you'll know that dominating the Sprints AND the mountains is just a ridiculous feat.
    He's also got 34 stage wins to Armstrong's 22. So Armstrong wasn't even that much better in the one race he dominated.
    Then you can add in all the other tours Merckx dominated, and outside of a pretty strong man-crush, most people's opinion would be in favour of The Cannibal.

The most prolific cyclist may not be the same as the greatest!!

You sure the guys of Merckx's era were all clean aswell :o

Anyway the word 'prolific' means different things to different people - it always reminds of the soccer striker context:

http://images.google.ie/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enIE361&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=prolific+striker&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&start=0

The Dictionary reference however does not resonate with that:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prolific

Although certainly, if rumours are true, Lance has tried to bear fruit with many a fine lady!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Jesus. Armstrong just tested positive for CERA after targetted testing due to "anomalous" blood profiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just saw that as well, Livestrong down the pan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

people seems to have started to be selling their Livestrong gear on eBay ... I wonder if it's going to shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Holy crap, he's stepped down from Radioshack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I heard that himself and Floyd Landis were having an affair ... and that he might not be the only one coming out ... the lastest is Rico also admitting an affair with LA ... it's only the beginning.

• Advertisement

http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/12318476669

Tough one Lance but its part of your job! - unless he has now taken up a fulltime PR role for Radioshack!!

I'm sure there are plenty of bathrooms in the house to protect the innocence of the kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Is Lance hoping drug testing procedures go back to 1970's levels? :

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races10/misc10/gila-kit.jpg

bom chica waa waa

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3972/Lance-Armstrong-goes-for-five-expecting-another-baby.aspx

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong has just announced to the world via Twitter that he and girlfriend Anna Hansen are expecting their second child. The baby, who is likely the youngest Twitter user in history, has an October date for delivery.

His/her first Tweet was: "I got 2 arms, 2 legs, a nickname, and i'm 2 inches long. See y'all in October.."

Like its father (s)he [Cincoarmstrong on Twitter] has mastered the art of communicating with 140 characters or less adding, "I'm now the size of a lemon, 3.5 inches long, and weigh 1.5 ounces. And oh yeah, I'm on Twitter."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement