Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

BarryM wrote: »
    What a load of pathetic rubbish. He is a conman, I've just finished reading Walshe/Ballester's latest, Le sale tour; much repetition from their previous books, but a lot of new stuff on the actual monies transmitted to real cancer research/support from the foundation (not a lot, the foundation is worth $250m). Also, loads on the UCI role in the whole fiasco of his 'return' - orchestrated by McQuaid, so wonder he turns up here!!!

Ignore him, don't give him the oxygen of publicity.

Is "Le Sale Tour" available in English, or would you be able to outline what the story is with Livestrong and deals with McQuaid?

I read From Lance to Landis, and found it particularly interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dura Ace wrote: »
    Is "Le Sale Tour" available in English, or would you be able to outline what the story is with Livestrong and deals with McQuaid?

I read From Lance to Landis, and found it particularly interesting.

can't find this in english, really want to read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

This is going to be good, old-fashioned, Irish style chaos!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If I didn't have a football match this evening, I'd be up just for the chaos.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'd be more interested in seeing the chaos than lance himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'm planning on going for a run up in the Park in the early evening just so I can "take in" the chaos.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Last time I was away Beyonce was cycling in the park on my door step, now Lance... who next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Glitterangel76

I'm trying to work out can I cash the insurance cheque, buy a bike, get home change then cycle back to phoenix park in time...what a day not to have my gym gear with me!
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

no moral dilemma here I'd rather steam iron my sac !

ah no fair play you cant knock the cause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

The Park rangers may be setting something up on fountain road, they have parked a car on the lead up to the roundabout and there's a couple of them standing around but then again they work for the OPW, that might be normal day time behaviour ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

monument wrote: »
    Last time I was away Beyonce was cycling in the park on my door step, now Lance... who next?
    Maybe Emmet Stagg in his birthday suit:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Anyone know did he pea-roll it around on the Scottish spin or did he actually go at a good pace for a bit? Would love to see a pro in proper action just to see it but can appreciate he'll probably have to take it handy cos it's likely to be pure mayhem up there.

Would have more interest in meeting his bike than him, though I do have a grudging respect for him.

Assume Paul Kimmage will be there in full kit front row centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Anyone know did he pea-roll it around on the Scottish spin or did he actually go at a good pace for a bit? Would love to see a pro in proper action just to see it but can appreciate he'll probably have to take it handy cos it's likely to be pure mayhem up there.

Would have more interest in meeting his bike than him, though I do have a grudging respect for him.

Assume Paul Kimmage will be there in full kit front row centre!

To be fair if he actually pushed it hard he'd just be cycling around on his own fairly quickly, but it probably makes sense to go at a decent pace to avoid crazy crowds of people all over the road trying to get close to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Heh, on Sat & Sun I witnessed some of the biggest Lance Bashers I know getting stuck into the autograph frenzy, all the cynicism evaporated in a millisecond when he appeared.

Reminded me a bit of the Bono Bashers who were ' forced ' to go to the 360 gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Hi,

New to this forum and to the sport of cycling but loving it so far!!

Have heard from a well connected friend that there trying to move this to the Popes Cross due to the mayhem its going to cause on Chesterfield Ave! Bit of a sprint from one to the other so keep an eye out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I don't know why people are getting so worked up, the greatest American cyclist was already in Ireland this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Would you refuse to go to see the second greatest rock band in the world on the basis that they're not the greatest? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I reckon the sport of cycling is better for having LA in it than not - just look at this thread - 15 pages of Lance Watch!!!

He's a polarising figure, no doubt about it, but that makes the sport more interesting - bit like when snooker was more interesting with Higgins, soccer with Cantona or Maradonna, tennis with McEnroe.

There's probably much better cyclists out there; there's definitely less controversial ones, but I doubt there's many that can raise a profile like LA!!

And even if it is a self-aggrandising, publicity-seeking stunt - at least he's making himself more available than most sports "stars" who come to the city - didn't see Ronaldo going for a game of "three-and-in" or "headers-and-volleys" in any park!!

Some gates are being closed off Islandbridge, Chapelizod and Knockmaroon and chesterfield ave. Supposedly 2 loops of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

goose06 wrote: »
    Some gates are being closed off Islandbridge, Chapelizod and Knockmaroon and chesterfield ave. Supposedly 2 loops of the park.

that should work wonders for traffic in the area!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Are you sure they're being closed for this ? I doubt it as some were already being closed today for works and were due to reopen at 4pm. If they do it would be completely ridiculous as traffic is a nightmare in that area due to the works on the N3/M50 roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I don't know why people are getting so worked up, the greatest American cyclist was already in Ireland this year.

I hope you mean this guy:
    other_sports_movies_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Jawgap wrote: »
    that should work wonders for traffic in the area!!

fcuk them, drive around the park, cars should be banned form the park anyways

they'll get over it, it'll give them something to moan about over in the motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

goose06 wrote: »
    so the proposed cycle is only around phoenix park? i was planning to join it but i've no details on route or how long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Jip wrote: »
    Are you sure they're being closed for this ? I doubt it as some were already being closed today for works and were due to reopen at 4pm. If they do it would be completely ridiculous as traffic is a nightmare in that area due to the works on the N3/M50 roundabout.

AA roadwatch:
    * A large number of cyclists are expected in the Phoenix Park from approx. 5pm and this will impact on traffic. Also bear in mind that a lot of extra motorists have been using the Park as a means of accessing Northern routes in the last few days due to the recent rail disruption. * The Ashtown Gate in The Phoenix Park is also closed today until 4pm and tomorrow from 10am until 4pm for works. *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

don't want to venture onto the side of reason here but with gate timings, position updates, possible routes and 15 pages of reponses this thread has now clearly crossed into the realm of serious stalking, has everyone gone mad or am I just a cynical ***t?

That was a rhetorical question by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, that's my point, the gate has been closed anyway, nothing to do with the cycle.

I never mentioned the Ashtown gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

DJsail wrote: »
    don't want to venture onto the side of reason here but with gate timings, position updates, possible routes and 15 pages of reponses this thread has now clearly crossed into the realm of serious stalking, has everyone gone mad or am I just a cynical ***t?
    You really should change your preferences; 6 pages for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tunney wrote: »
    well that answers that, I'm not cycling with a fcuking fred
    Fred CC in Nth County fully mobilised !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I think he just went past my office in the back of a Garda car, I'm pretty sure it was him. Pearse Street Trinity end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I actually was planning on a phoenix park spin today, but now ... I don't think this is a good idea. Anyone has gone to write something on the khyber hill? I wonder are they going to remove the bollards ... imagine if LA was being pushed accidentally by a Fred, onto the bollard and take out his last ball in the process ... I prefer to watch it on Telly :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

about 100 freds in the park already! mostly orwell lads?? TV3 camera crew at the park gates too! its hotting up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I hope you mean this guy:
    other_sports_movies_3.jpg
    Cycling was more stylish then. Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Drapper wrote: »
    about 100 freds in the park already! mostly orwell lads?? TV3 camera crew at the park gates too! its hotting up!

crap, i was supposed to go for a spin in the park as well later, no point now, LA will over shadow me :D

Do you think they'll set up the Lance cross next to the Pope's cross?

lmao!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

After all the b1tching re Tour of ireland etc. At least there are many times during the year that the committed cycling fan can cycle in the same events as their heros, whether it by Sean Kelly at various events in Ireland or ex pro's at the Etape, or Lance today.

There is a lot about pro-cycling that is not wholesome so to speak, however you cant play rugby with Paul O Connell, soccer with Wayne Rooney or run with Usain Bolt. In that respect cycling is fantastic.

I hope all of you freds have a good time this evening, try to leave some space on the roads for us commuters who are merely trying to pedal home after a hard days work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

does that mean every second lad born in 2009 has to be called Lance, liked everyone named john Paul was born in 1979

that`d be bloody hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Cycling was more stylish then. Definitely.

Pete - I look like that every cycle. (Well apart from the tanned shaved legs that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Huggles wrote: »
    I think he just went past my office in the back of a Garda car, I'm pretty sure it was him. Pearse Street Trinity end.

How's he going to go for a spin in the phoenix park if he's spending the night in the drunk tank? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

what happens if it rains?

E@gle. wrote: »

he won't cycle up the kyber I think............:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

he is already on the way, from his twitter:

"I've decided it's too nice and sunny (perfect) to ride. I think I'll just sit around. Kidding!! On my way to phoenix park. Hell yeah."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

E@gle. wrote: »

you get wet ????????????????????????

he won't cycle up the kyber I think............:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    is there not an 'I love Paul' painted on the Kyber :P Anyone want to spray paint the second name quickly?
    Serioulsy thought, there will be cars everywhere, Freds who can't cycle in a bunch etc ... and blorg might crash into Lance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm (safely) on a train on my way home - won't be attending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ImAYesGirl

lancearmstrongI've decided it's too nice and sunny (perfect) to ride. I think I'll just sit around. Kidding!! On my way to phoenix park. Hell yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

From Lance's twiter:

"Hungrycol can't make it this evening. I've decided I'm not going either, sorry folks"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement