Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Just back in from the park. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Just back in from the park. Very enjoyable.

More details please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dabatter

What was it like?
    what route in the park? How long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

Sheep

Diarmuid wrote: »
    More details please....
    I arrived up in the trike with the kids around 17:00 and there were already 100+ people at the roundabout. The Gardai were there, on foot, on bikes (both kinds) and on horse. The entire spectrum of cyclists were represented.

Picture attached.
    88976.jpg

Others will be able to better describe the route.

Some scary maneuvers with people cycling in front of him, then looking back with a camera in one hand to take a picture. An ambulance left the scene at one point so hopefully nothing serious.

I did about half a lap and then doubled back a bit to see Lance cycle by on this second lap.

Good atmosphere. Well done to all involved.

DFD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

That was great fun. I did three laps. Lance did about ten. There were a couple of hundred people there, and a lot of wayward cycling, as you'd expect. Met a few boardsies, one of whom had his livestrong band on and his livestrong jersey ready to be signed. We were staking out Lance's tinted-window Mercedes, only to find that a *second* tinted-window Mercedes was parked at the bottom of the hill! It was a classic ruse. Dirk, I hope you got your jersey signed. If not, Raam and I's offer to sign it instead still stands. 'Dirk - you have always been an inspiration'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

other_sports_movies_3.jpg
    Is it just me, or does that look like Paul O'Connell on the right?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So, who got their boobs signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

started wellington rd once but circuit was Kybher rd, acres rd, military rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Right just back from it, I think he did 10 - 11 laps of about 4.km a lap I think though for some reason I didn't start my computer.

There was a huge amount of people there, over 1000 easily I'd say it was mental and some crazy maneuvers being pulled all over the shop. Cyclists in every shape with all sorts of gear and bikes were there, couldn't get too close to him mainly due to crazy the fact that every time I passed 50 people 50 more joined in form the side of the road but it was still good fun, saw a couple of minor falls but nothing too bad.

Like him or not fair play to him for coming out and cycling for probably 90 minutes, he seemed to be loving it as well.

Was chatting to one of his mates, can't think of his name but blonde guy longish hair who was telling me that he's going to try and go for a few pints tonight some private function on in the Guinness Storehouse then he had a list of places around the Baggot St area - so might be a chance for any uber stalkers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

i had to go to tesco's to get my Bran Flakes topped up (chris hoy rules ) ... so I decided to do a slight detour at around 6:30. I didn't join in I just got a video. The amount of Fred was impressive. At the time I arrived there was probably just 40 people left o the spin and tbh, I could have easily beat them all on my fixie and my messenger bag full of groceries ...

Will post that video as soon as I finish editing it.

PS: nice to meet redmenace on his way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

Back in now - didn't realise it was 10/11 laps, felt more like 6/7, time went so fast. It was a great atmosphere, first time for me riding in such a big group, kept the wits about me. Saw a few minor falls, and I think two people hit the parked cars on the Acres Road. Not sure how they fared.

Kudos to him for coming out and making such an occasion of it for everyone. I wish I'd managed to get closer, but I only got up near top toward the end of the spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Just back myself and really enjoyed it! Some crazy manouvres to try get up the front and a few spills but nothing serious I hope!! Fair play to him for coming out!

Not sure what I have done wrong with picture but its not coming up!

There you go. Great picture. 88977.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Cheers... Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

I enjoyed that. I didn't think it looked like a thousand cyclist, but there was certainly a good few hundred. I started near the back and it took me a good while to work my way through the brunch. There was some dodgy cycling, but considering the mix of people there, it wasn't too bad. I saw three crashes, but none of them looked that serious.

I rode the whole thing in the main bunch, but the last time up the Kyber a lot of gaps appeared in front of me, and I only got back on the bunch just before the end.

I didn't really get near Lance apart from at the end, but that didn't really matter as the atmosphere was great.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

did a few laps, bit chaotic but good athmosphere and great to see all types out. fair dues to lance for bothering to come out. don't get all the 'fred' holier than thou talk, it was mostly people in either casual gear straight from work on commuters or club gear that I saw. just normal people on bikes having a bit of a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

brilliant, gas craic, amazing amount of lance love going on, crazy cycling moves being pulled all over the shop, very very enjoyable. Fair play to him, he rode about 10/11 laps and most of the folk that wanted to sit beside him got a go. Respect to him for going out there, it could very easily be carnage on any one of those twitter advertised spins he does.

The poor unfortunate in the merc parked up beside the Lancemobile at the finish was about to have a heart attack with the worry about cyclists damaging his car, diddums...
    The other poor unfortunate was the roller blader on the first lap who very unexpectedly (from his viewpoint) met speeding cyclists in his roller blader zone not looking ahead but across to the road on their right.

• Advertisement

The 1st Bray girl looked quite chuffed :)

Here is the video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

Here is the video

heh. I love that I can pick myself and my racing buddy out in that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

if micheal jackson turned up on a bike there would not be as much interest.

fair play to the man ,i would have been liked to be there myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i was there myself, got there at about 6.30,

i came in the entrance near the mullingar house, i took an imitiate right, didnt see anyone, then all of a sudden, a big peloton came right up my arse, a couplke of twats unfortunetly whigning that me and my mate werent going fast enough, we wher eonly after cycling in for gods sake, and where as far over to the curb as possible, some proper muppets i have to say

fair play to Lance though, i was just thinking

i had a puncture on the main road where the football pitchs and the cross are, anyway, im fixing my puncture, and 2 lardarse footballers shout over, "here, did you get a puncture, ha ha ha"
    then 3 seconds later, Lance armstrong cycles by.
    It just shows the mentality of footballers to cyclists, talk about putting it into perspective,
    the worlds most popular cyclist, just riding, and mixing with the layman, could you imagine ANY footballer doing the equivalent? i couldnt

he was then signing autographs for hundreds of people, it seemed anybody that owned a bike was there, great to see

i have to say, he won a few fans there tonight, good on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

buffalo wrote: »
    heh. I love that I can pick myself and my racing buddy out in that video.

Cool, I can pick myself out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice vid Caroline.

Commuter trispokes, Zipps and a muscle top in one frame!

88989.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Also, the guy with the Zipps appears to be wearing runners, with lycra. Perhaps he's a triathlete?

88990.png

Fascinating. I have much to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Lumen wrote: »
    Also, the guy with the Zipps appears to be wearing runners, with lycra. Perhaps he's tunney?
    fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In fairness that seems pretty cool whatever you think of Lance. I would have loved to have gone along myself but we had our second-last club league race (Team Time Trial.) I heard rumours that some of the ladies in our league had defected to the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

blorg wrote: »
    In fairness that seems pretty cool whatever you think of Lance. I would have loved to have gone along myself but we had our second-last club league race (Team Time Trial.) I heard rumours that some of the ladies in our league had defected to the park.

unless they`re of the jailbait age like the Olsen twins, Lance wouldnt be interested :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Funny, some of the Lance haters mellowing a bit here on boards, even, perhaps warming to the man? ...even turning up to the park to see the legend.

unless they`re of the jailbait age like the Olsen twins, Lance wouldnt be interested :D

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

jwshooter wrote: »
    :confused:

lance-ashley.jpg

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure that photo is a shop but he was romantically linked to Ashley Olsen a while back, before his current relationship. Just google for the details. Providing this just for your information, I don't have any particular moral outrage about it (she was 21 at the time.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The_Claw wrote: »
    That was great fun. I did three laps. Lance did about ten. There were a couple of hundred people there, and a lot of wayward cycling, as you'd expect. Met a few boardsies, one of whom had his livestrong band on and his livestrong jersey ready to be signed. We were staking out Lance's tinted-window Mercedes, only to find that a *second* tinted-window Mercedes was parked at the bottom of the hill! It was a classic ruse. Dirk, I hope you got your jersey signed. If not, Raam and I's offer to sign it instead still stands. 'Dirk - you have always been an inspiration'.

No, no jersey signing...I will have to organise a boardsie signing, stick on your usernames or something. It was great to see him in person, I wouldn't call myself a fan or a hater, but I am a cyclist and would turn out to see anyone who has won the tour.

It was great that he was cycling side by side with regular cyclists and not barricaded in by some big bodyguard types. I heard one guy say "watch out lads he's making a break" as they passed and Lance cracked a big grin.

Fair play to him.

Raam is that you on that one? the first rider in the swords kit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Raam is that you on that one? the first rider in the swords kit?

Nope, not me. But I was there somewhere in Swords kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wow something else. Like others I started at the back and gradually made my way forward; thats when things got interesting. It seemed to me that the bad riding was coming from guys who would consider themselves decent cyclists. Lots of guys were getting dropped on the climbs then pulling some crazy moves on the descents to get back up.
    Anyway I didnt risk it getting any closer and pulled over after 8 laps then joined back in at the front. Saw the man and does he look like a proper cyclist! Had a pleasent journey back to North Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Quite the amazing coincidence that Blorg wasn't there when Lance was eh ! I've always had my suspicions, what with the Lance balls. Now I know it. Blorg is Lance. Lance is Blorg.

Gavin wrote: »
    Blorg is Lance. Lance is Blorg.

Blance? Lorg?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the sandals are like clark kents glasses, nobody can see past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Blance? Lorg?

We are Lorg

I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Fair Play.... but how about the very big crowd that waited in terrible rain for him on St. Patricks Hill last sunday. He could have done 1 lap of the hill, it is only a few hundred metres..... Damage is done for me...

blorg wrote: »
    lance-ashley.jpg

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure that photo is a shop but he was romantically linked to Ashley Olsen a while back, before his current relationship. Just google for the details. Providing this just for your information, I don't have any particular moral outrage about it (she was 21 at the time.)

and the problem is ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Yes I have no problem with that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Damn, I missed this due to being in bed with jet lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

I missed out. Was killing myself at the team time trail.

Great pics and videos guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Well, I enjoyed it, even if I was on a thoroughly inappropriate bike. Fair dues to him for doing it - it's a nice gesture.
    Peterx wrote: »
    The poor unfortunate in the merc parked up beside the Lancemobile at the finish was about to have a heart attack with the worry about cyclists damaging his car, diddums...

In fairness, it was an S320, retails at about €110,000 - I'd be having a heart attack too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

[quote=Caroline_ie;
    quote]

Nice video Caroline. Saw myself too, that was me shouting "Hi Boardsie" as I passed you.

Enjoyed it overall and thrilled to have completed the 7/8 laps or whatever it was. A lot of people seemed to have dropped out at the Kyber Road and used it as a photo spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I got my first road bike last September.

And now - less than a year later... Sure didn't I only go cycling with Lance Armstrong.

I really enjoyed cycling in such a big group. Cyclists are great. I'd say the dickhead to sound ratio is probably the lowest of any group of people i've been in.

Thanks Lance - for getting a nice group of people together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Its almost as if Jesus rode into town on the back of a donkey.

(Just trying to ruin the love in people)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement