Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I believe her. Just heard from my sister that her room mate had a pint and a chat, along with an autograph of lance in Doheny and Nesbitts last night.

Absolutely gutted I was not told this sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

You should follow him on Twitter. He said he was in Doheny & Nesbitts last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lance watch....met him in the pub last night.

Was he hammering back the whiskey after a tough day on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That would be his Scottish spin.

I was surprised there was no mention of it on the 9 O Clock news yesterday. They mentioned spice burgers, but no Lance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I was surprised there was no mention of it on the 9 O Clock news yesterday. They mentioned spice burgers, but no Lance.

thought the same, it was covered by Skynews and they even had live cameras at it! I think the TV3 news guys were there too!

fecking spice burgers! what are RTE at??? it was a good news storey lance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Drapper wrote: »
    thought the same, it was covered by Skynews and they even had live cameras at it! I think the TV3 news guys were there too!

fecking spice burgers! what are RTE at??? it was a good news storey lance!

Was on the 11 O'Clock News on RTE 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Was he hammering back the whiskey after a tough day on the bike?

I think you're on to something. Lance was on the hot sauce for that Phoenix Park ride, and no mistake. Just look at how he kept up with people riding alongside him, many of whom with dopey expressions on their faces, and none of whom were subjected to post-race blood tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

yep, seriously. but i no photo, sorry :(

Didn't happen then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I watched the video of the Lance ride in the Phoenix Park.

kincsem's formula applies ..... b=m*f

b = cost of bike and kit; m = monthly income; f = fred-ishness (scale of 0 to 2)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tunney wrote: »
    Didn't happen then.

5775_148646491342_632421342_3790968_7080815_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

I believe her. Just heard from my sister that her room mate had a pint and a chat, along with an autograph of lance in Doheny and Nesbitts last night.

sorry dirk, i just didn't think of letting you know. twas doheny & nesbitts alright, he was keen on having a quiet pint and being left alone but was very obliging to anyone who did talk to him

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kincsem wrote: »
    I watched the video of the Lance ride in the Phoenix Park.

kincsem's formula applies ..... b=m*f

b = cost of bike and kit; m = monthly income; f = fred-ishness (scale of 0 to 2)

hmmm, that would make 0 fred-ishness gives you a 0 cost bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Without coming over all twee, it is genuinely good to see that the man enjoyed his time in Ireland, and has publicised the fact.
    Bord Failte are probably over the moon. The investment has paid off it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

copacetic wrote: »
    hmmm, that would make 0 fred-ishness gives you a 0 cost bike.

Your are not admitting your fredishness. Let it out. :)

. . . he was keen on having a quiet pint and being left alone but was very obliging to anyone who did talk to him

Thats what I also say to the ladies looking for my autograph;).

ROK ON wrote: »
    Without coming over all twee, it is genuinely good to see that the man enjoyed his time in Ireland, and has publicised the fact.
    Bord Failte are probably over the moon. The investment has paid off it would seem.

On the flipside, it shows that you don't need to spend any money at all to get 1000 people off their arses.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kincsem wrote: »
    Your are not admitting your fredishness. Let it out. :)

I'm actually worried that the formula appears to make me much less fred than I am! I'd only be 0.5 fred based on it. which can't be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

RobFowl wrote: »

Was talking to Bart Knaggs (Think it was him anyway) at the end last night in the Park and he said they were going for pints in Baggot Street after the Guinness Storehouse, suppose Doheny and Nesbitts would have been an obvious choice wasn't sure enough to go over pity would have liked to have pint with the bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Glitterangel76

Glad I'm not the only one who watched the 9 o'clock news hoping to see the footage :(

It was an amazing experience, definitly one to tell the grandkids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭andun84

Glad I'm not the only one who watched the 9 o'clock news hoping to see the footage :(

It was an amazing experience, definitly one to tell the grandkids :)

Sure what do you expect when they couldn't even give Paul Healion's death a mention. That also was only on RTE2 late news :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 colm ó maonaigh

Thank's Bob , that was very enjoyable. Can I ask you what the music was and the artist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

A sporting legend, an icon of our time, a household name and known around the world comes to town and goes for a bike ride in the Park with 1000+ others while here on a three day cancer sumit and RTE reported on the court case on spice burgers.

RTE news reasearcher:
    "Jausus lads, Im sure an missin dem spice burgurs, huh? Wonder if I can get a scoop and some free uns my come me way, ya boy ya."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam spotted in this vid, with his camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

Raam spotted in this vid, with his camera

Shouldn't that be in the 'Raam watch' thread?? ;)

He is such a fanboy fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Thank's Bob , that was very enjoyable. Can I ask you what the music was and the artist?

Glad you enjoyed it! The first track was by Erik Friedlander, a cellist from NYC- 'Yakima' from his Block Ice & Propane CD; the second was by Peter Lang, a fingerstyle guitarist of the John Fahey / Leo Kottke vintage- 'Adair's Song' from his The Thing At The Nursery Room Window LP/CD.

I didn't think 6 minutes of wind was the ideal soundtrack. I did leave the original audio in place, at a lower volume, but a little too low- now you can barely hear the squeals of delight from the kids in the bucket, alas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Have to say I wouldnt be LA's biggest fan butfair play to him for doing that.
    Was fairly chaotic on most parts of the course. fairly big tumble on the road past the 15acres beside a parked car.I took a lap out as it was getting crazy and I wasnt on my bike (thanks Rob Fowl) and didnt want to be in a smash with it.
    I also think that the Gardai and Park Rangers/wardens deserve a big pat on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Bizarrely, I recognised my former neighbours on their tandem at about 1.16 minutes into your vid. (Must admit I kind of wished you'd given them a light shove as you passed; they were a rather unfriendly pair.)

Nice tunes, by the way.
    Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it! The first track was by Erik Friedlander, a cellist from NYC- 'Yakima' from his Block Ice & Propane CD; the second was by Peter Lang, a fingerstyle guitarist of the John Fahey / Leo Kottke vintage- 'Adair's Song' from his The Thing At The Nursery Room Window LP/CD.

I didn't think 6 minutes of wind was the ideal soundtrack. I did leave the original audio in place, at a lower volume, but a little too low- now you can barely hear the squeals of delight from the kids in the bucket, alas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I did leave the original audio in place, at a lower volume, but a little too low- now you can barely hear the squeals of delight from the kids in the bucket, alas.
    That's me and the kids in the 'bucket'. The camera really does add 10lbs ;)

Now they can go and tell their grandkids. This thread will never die!

Great video (for obvious reasons).

DFD.

That's me and the kids in the 'bucket'. The camera really does add 10lbs ;)

I want a bucket like yours, it looks ace!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

It's an alternative view of the event, from the back of the bunch.

Yep that's a pretty good reflection of the event I was at! Actually passes me out at one stage

Lumen wrote: »
    I want a bucket like yours, it looks ace!
    Thanks Lumen. Her name's 'Stephanie' and the entire family loves her. This is her in shopping mode.
    89079.jpg

DFD

I could have gotten one of these christiania_racer_l.jpg

but I didn't want to look like a Fred ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Lance Armstrong is doped cool .

Kimmage is a whistle-blower Sh1t-stirrer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Thanks guys ! At last I am 1st at something :)

89093.jpg

Oh yeah ,,, the clip is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

wtf is a fred?

• Advertisement

ah, i get ya, i do a fair bit of fishing as well in my other spare time, they`re called, "tackle tarts" in the fishing game :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

ah, i get ya, i do a fair bit of fishing as well in my other spare time, they`re called, "tackle tarts" in the fishing game :D

Gerry Heapes is a Tackle Tart. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

wtf is a fred?

Long story short its what one bunch of cyclists who don't race but have a carbon fiber bike and wear full lycra gear call another bunch of cyclists who don't race but have a carbon fiber bike and wear full lycra gear - simple really :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Spotted my good self in the longer vid on youtube, when they were just heading out. I dont look too bad on a bike either!

Planet X wrote: »
    Gerry Heapes is a Tackle Tart. :D:D

do you known Gerry? i dont know him personally, but i know of him, small world

sorry for going off topic there lads

back onto Lance, awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Hungrycol wrote: »
    A sporting legend, an icon of our time, a household name and known around the world comes to town and goes for a bike ride in the Park with 1000+ others while here on a three day cancer sumit and RTE reported on the court case on spice burgers.

RTE news reasearcher:
    "Jausus lads, Im sure an missin dem spice burgurs, huh? Wonder if I can get a scoop and some free uns my come me way, ya boy ya."

Have to say I was in Dunnes today and was very tempted to buy Spice Burgers. About a fiver so walked away. Take that SPICE BURGER LTD..hot dog!

• Advertisement

The stand of riding was appalling generally especially at the start. Some gob****e was actually riding a TT rig while wearing a full suit and tie........

Lads, this whole thread has to be one of the best and funniest. Im kicking myself I didnt go. So much material here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hi rob , did he do a jack charlton and wright a cheque for the pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Is that Bernard Hinault on his left? :eek:

How many tdf victories?

Is that a yellow jersey that dude has??Another one for the celing maybe to go with the bogball jersies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

jinka wrote: »
    bogball jersies?

:D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement