Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Great to see cycling in a positive light in the recent press. I'm gutted I missed it. Do you reckon going for a cycle with Lance would be on par with going for a run with Muhammad Ali?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Great to see cycling in a positive light in the recent press. I'm gutted I missed it. Do you reckon going for a cycle with Lance would be on par with going for a run with Muhammad Ali?

Only if Ali punched you in the face.

Lumen wrote: »
    Only if Ali punched you in the face.

Provided it didn't kill me, it'd be one heck of a claim to fame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Quigs - who's the comeragh rider in Caroline's video at 33 seconds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

1,541 views woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

1,541 views woohoo!

Pity they don't award prizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam wrote: »
    Pity they don't award prizes.
    they do!
    I have a rosette :

#16 - Most Viewed (Today) - Ireland
    #1 - Most Viewed (Today) - Reporters - Ireland
    #9 - Most Viewed (This Week) - Reporters - Ireland
    #16 - Most Viewed (Today) - Ireland
    #1 - Most Viewed (Today) - Reporters - Ireland
    #9 - Most Viewed (This Week) - Reporters - Ireland
    #47 - Most Viewed (This Month) - Reporters - Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Thanks Lumen. Her name's 'Stephanie' and the entire family loves her. This is her in shopping mode.

DFD

Care to share some details about that bike? I don't really know much about them. Just googled and it seems they are called Cargo bikes? Where did you get it? Looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Interesting, I always used Fred differently.

I always though of a Fred as a leisure cyclist or somebody who doesnt bother with any of the gear.

It seems to me on this forum everybody is a Fred except the poster themselves, professional cyclists and those you know for a fact (via race results or direct competition) are better than you.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Care to share some details about that bike? I don't really know much about them. Just googled and it seems they are called Cargo bikes? Where did you get it? Looks great.

Diarmuid,

Thanks, it's a Christiania Bike. It's Danish , named after Christiania in Denmark. The 'class' of bike would be 'cargo bike', but would be better known as 'bakfiets', being the Dutch language equivalent, or something similar.
    I bought mine from Velorution and they shipped it complete on a pallet to Dublin.

It weighs about 35kg and can carry another 100kg in the 'bucket'. With the kids in it it's about 60kg. It has a 7 speed Nexus hub, dual front discs, a coaster back brake and a steering damper. When you steer, you're turning the entire 'bucket'. I tried a Nihola trike in Toronto, which was cool. It has independent steering, which allows for faster cornering. But to be honest, the bike's not meant for speed (I don't go over 20kph). It's very comfortable to ride both loaded and unloaded and we've easily done 20kms in it on single afternoon. The biggest issue is the kids getting bored, but if you saw the video, you can see that that would take a while.

We used to cycle a lot before the kids and that tapered off. With Stephanie, we're back in the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

hah

When i saw the bike in the park i thought it read "Christian Bike". I laughed wondering what a protestant bike would look like :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Diarmuid,

Thanks, it's a Christiania Bike. It's Danish , named after Christiania in Denmark. The 'class' of bike would be 'cargo bike', but would be better known as 'bakfiets', being the Dutch language equivalent, or something similar.
    I bought mine from Velorution and they shipped it complete on a pallet to Dublin.

Looks brilliant. Punctures must be a bloody nightmare though!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

c0rk3r wrote: »
    hah

When i saw the bike in the park i thought it read "Christian Bike". I laughed wondering what a protestant bike would look like :o

Protestants are Christians too, don't you know.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

oflahero wrote: »
    Looks brilliant. Punctures must be a bloody nightmare though!
    Only two so far, both on the back. Repairs are made in situ. The upside is that not every bike allows you to carry a small stool, a portable TV, a few beers and a track pump to replicate that 'I'll fix that tube at home' feeling!

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Diarmuid,

I'd really like one of them. That's a very handy bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

el tonto wrote: »
    Protestants are Christians too

Blasphemy!

Diarmuid,

Thanks for the info. Very cool bike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

do you known Gerry? i dont know him personally, but i know of him, small world

sorry for going off topic there lads

back onto Lance, awesome :D

Was a member of the Maynooth Syndicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 velogalway

other_sports_movies_3.jpg
    Is it just me, or does that look like Paul O'Connell on the right?

No it is the legendary Galway hurler, Joe Cooney....

joecooney.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I hope you don't mind that I sent an e-mail to velorution.biz about the Christiania bike in the Phoenix Park ride.

Andrea put a screenshot up on their blog here.
    http://www.velorution.biz/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

RobFowl wrote: »
    The stand of riding was appalling generally especially at the start. Some gob****e was actually riding a TT rig while wearing a full suit and tie........

Why does what he was wearing make him a gob****e? I had a brief chat with him on one lap and he said he'd heard of the event late in the day and had come straight from work on the bike he happened to have with him. I say fair play to him. And despite wearing shoes that were incompatible with his clipless pedals he seemed to have no problem staying with the main group even as others were spat out the back.

Also, I was near him on several of the laps and never saw him do anything stupid, unlike many of the people there that were fully kitted out in cycling gear (and worse, in club gear too).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

doozerie wrote: »
    Why does what he was wearing make him a gob****e? .
    It's quite simple, TT bikes are not designed to be ridden in bunches,. They are harder to control, brake and steer.
    UCI research has proven them to be unsafe to ride in groups.
    Safety is paramount and he was oblivious to this.

PS tunney wore a skinsuit to meet Lance........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭andun84

It's quite simple, TT bikes are not designed to be ridden in bunches,. They are harder to control, brake and steer.

PS tunney wore a skinsuit to meet Lance........................

It was a last minute ride announced to the public of Dublin where everyone and anyone was likely to turn up, and did by all accounts, on any kind of bike with a miriad of differing skills. Safety in those conditions was a far from paramount concern and those oblivious to anything were those that expected a nice neat little group ride. Ride appropriate to the conditions and not how you want or expect others to ride because that is a recipe for disaster as you can't control what others do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Thanks Lumen. Her name's 'Stephanie' and the entire family loves her. DFD

They are great bikes, we have one of these.

MilkPlusThePort.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

pelican_feature.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If safety were paramount then more than half of the people cycling should have been kicked off the roads after the first few metres, many of them people on conventional road bikes. The guy on the TT bike was one of the few safe wheels that I was comfortable enough to be behind on several of the laps as he had better bike control than many of the people there and I for one didn't see him doing anything stupid.

Fuppin' hell. Commuter in park falls foul of The Unwritten Club Group Ride Rules. What a gob***** eh!

(And no, I'm not him.)

In an effort to keep this threat alive I report from Lance's twiter:

"Just stopped by @starbucks in grapevine, tx and a guy asked "how europe was?" and knew all about the phoenix park ride. Ahh, twitter. Cool."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Do you think we could get him to mention boards on twitter? Any prizes for the person that does?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

oflahero wrote: »
    Fuppin' hell. Commuter in park falls foul of The Unwritten Club Group Ride Rules. What a gob***** eh!

(And no, I'm not him.)
    Is there a point here I'm missing ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

kincsem wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind that I sent an e-mail to velorution.biz about the Christiania bike in the Phoenix Park ride.

Andrea put a screenshot up on their blog here.
    http://www.velorution.biz/

And he put up a link to my video too! It's not in Caroline's league, though I did hit 200 views today. Woot! Or something. :cool:

Maybe he should have brought his Christiania bike instead. :D

Is there a point here I'm missing ??

Harsh on the lad I thought, is all. (God, this thread shall never die...)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Comments on TV coverage in today's Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0831/1224253513017.html

"And the thing about cycling clothing on chaps is that unless they have the body of Adonis there really, really, really should be a law against it":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gidazzle

Amazing that he managed to attract over a thousand adoring souls in the park. He will make a fantastic politicial when he hangs up the bike. A charming bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

Gidazzle wrote: »
    Amazing that he managed to attract over a thousand adoring souls in the park. He will make a fantastic politicial when he hangs up the bike. A charming bully.

Not sure if all were "adoring souls"
    Intrigued, curious and bike mad along with some adoring fans.
    Anyway what's wrong with sycophancy?:rolleyes:

Could see a life in politics alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Very cool pic posted by "lizkreutz" to lances twitter

26500691.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1251738176&Signature=JPdG7uhmd6OW3FG2ebJ9D23p2ho%3D

Lance spotted in the news again. He won't be twittering this one though...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Say that on NY Velocity this morning. Interesting indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Your dead right he won't. Here we go again, I appreciate the writers wish to discuss the tour of Spain but I just hope this stuff sticks.....

Bye, Barry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

in fairness...hands up who here is surprised.
    Although from reading the article is seems the only forms opinions.
    At the end of the day a positive test is a positve test and negative is a negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

I met Lance in Cork. Well by met I mean I managed to be in the right place at the right time when he was signing things. I was on cloud 9 afterwards, could'nt believe I had been that close to the man himself, and come out of it with my TDF Maillot Jaune signed. The downside is I can't wear the bloody thing anymore after he defaced it. :(

My mate took a pic of him with my head also in the shot (claim to fame), I think it's pretty cool. Also a video showing the commotion which this "hero" is met with. I really feel for anyone who waited out in the rain to see Lance though, Patricks Hill was covered in "Go Lance" road markings, and even up to a few minutes before the lead group arrived the Livestrong crowd were handing out banners. Terrible really, but hey, he seemed to enjoy his time here.

6410_129648086568_700956568_2435861_459991_n.jpg

6410_129657716568_700956568_2435933_3626153_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

The UCI anti doping controllers now act on results and readings which are outside the individual riders normal zone, but because many unknowns exist in both methods, ie drag, rolling resistance in the case of Contador's estimated wattage and possibly extreme diarrhea or dehydration in the case of Armstrong, the values may be interpreted incorrectly. Until the science is perfected we cannot tarnish riders with speculation, yet just enjoy their performances and trust and applaud the rapid evolution of science to catch the cheats.
    Now back to the Tour of Spain.

what are you insinuating?

triv88 wrote: »
    The UCI anti doping controllers now act on results and readings which are outside the individual riders normal zone,
    The UCI has zero credibility. Whatever happens to cycling, the UCI won't be the ones to clean it up.
    Until the science is perfected we cannot tarnish riders with speculation,
    An expert on blood doping can look at the blood values and give his opinions on the values, you can disagree with him but I'd doubt you have the same credibility as him. It's not speculation when a guy like Jakob Mørkebjerg says these blood values could be diarrhoea, dehydration or blood doping.
    yet just enjoy their performances and trust and applaud the rapid evolution of science to catch the cheats.
    yea that has been working a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lance's blood values are constant because he is the greatest cyclist of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Lumen wrote: »
    Lance's blood values are constant because he is the greatest cyclist of all time.

You poor disillusioned person, do you know anything about human physiology? If the data is correct then there has to have been some interference with the blood. It is impossible to have used the energy required to ride in the Tour for three weeks without changes in the various indicators of blood quality. Over the years since Armstrong first won the Tour the quantity and value of blood quality data has improved dramatically. One of the many books about the Tour and doping published before this years version has a detailed analysis of this and the role that Ferrari played in 'helping' Armstrong to manage his hemocryt for example.

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

BarryM wrote: »
    It is impossible to have used the energy required to ride in the Tour for three weeks without changes in the various indicators of blood quality.

Lance CAN do it. That's why he's the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

BarryM wrote: »
    You poor disillusioned person, do you know anything about human physiology? If the data is correct then there has to have been some interference with the blood. It is impossible to have used the energy required to ride in the Tour for three weeks without changes in the various indicators of blood quality. Over the years since Armstrong first won the Tour the quantity and value of blood quality data has improved dramatically. One of the many books about the Tour and doping published before this years version has a detailed analysis of this and the role that Ferrari played in 'helping' Armstrong to manage his hemocryt for example.

Bye, Barry

Has your sarcasm detection meter broke ?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Yea, I couldn't be sure but I thought I got a whif of something the ancient Greeks used to call "tongue in cheek" in some comments here. Maybe I'm wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I thought I saw something sailing way over his head alright

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement