Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recovering data from a busted laptop

• 18-08-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Ok, the laptop is beyond repair, but the hdd is fine to the best of my knowledge.
    Is there such a thing as a hdd reader that i can attach my hdd to, hook up to another computer and rcover my files from it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭CAPSLOCK365

also, wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so, if it's the wrong one, apologies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ok, the laptop is beyond repair, but the hdd is fine to the best of my knowledge.
    Is there such a thing as a hdd reader that i can attach my hdd to, hook up to another computer and rcover my files from it?

No problem at all you, can stick it in to any normal PC using a SATA or IDE cable depending on the type of HDD drive it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

marco_polo wrote: »
    No problem at all you, can stick it in to any normal PC using a SATA or IDE cable depending on the type of HDD drive it is.

What I think he means is with a laptop drive caddy or converter cable. A standard sata or IDE cable will not work with a laptop hard drive unless it is one of those massive desktop sized laptops that actually have normal 3.5" drives in them. A 2.5" drive will need an adapter that you put the hard drive in and uses USB, or you can get a converter to be used internally.

Any of these 2.5" ones should do, depending on the interface type i.e. SATA, IDE/ATA. Some of them will do both interfaces, might be worth the extra few euro as you can use it for any type of drive then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Saruman wrote: »
    What I think he means is with a laptop drive caddy or converter cable. A standard sata or IDE cable will not work with a laptop hard drive unless it is one of those massive desktop sized laptops that actually have normal 3.5" drives in them. A 2.5" drive will need an adapter that you put the hard drive in and uses USB, or you can get a converter to be used internally.

Any of these 2.5" ones should do, depending on the interface type i.e. SATA, IDE/ATA. Some of them will do both interfaces, might be worth the extra few euro as you can use it for any type of drive then.

Hmm you learn something new every day. :) I always presumed the 2.5" had standard connectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Saruman wrote: »

Meant to thank you for this previously, but it slipped my mind.
    So, thanks.

I got a 2,5" caddy in Enniskillen in a shop by the name of Eniskillen Computers for £9.40 if anyone is interested. Haven't tried it out yet, but will report back when I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Fyi, I actually took a 2.5'' sata HDD from a Dell Inspiron and threw it into my 3.5'' external caddy and things worked fine.

Glad to hear you got things sorted now anywho, OP. :cool:

Advertisement