Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop took money from Credit card without asking

Options
  • 18-08-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Just back from holidays.
    I am a builder and have credit arrangements with many busineses. One of the businesses I owe money to (€700) had sent me a statement reminding me that I owed them money. I got this before going on holiday.
    I rang them today to pay with credit card over the phone but they told me I had paid the balance due on 1 Aug. I didn't say anything then but thought I was on holiday on that date and definetly did not authorise a payment with my card. I can only presume they kept my credit card details and will tka epayment if they feel they must.

The question is ; Is this legal?
    If not, what can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're assuming too much. You need to see your credit card statement before you know what happened.

Also, consumer protection and advice does not apply to a business to business transaction. If you feel the charge was done without your permission, you need to let the bank know, but should also ask the company in question what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Just back from holidays.
    I am a builder and have credit arrangements with many busineses. One of the businesses I owe money to (€700) had sent me a statement reminding me that I owed them money. I got this before going on holiday.
    I rang them today to pay with credit card over the phone but they told me I had paid the balance due on 1 Aug. I didn't say anything then but thought I was on holiday on that date and definetly did not authorise a payment with my card. I can only presume they kept my credit card details and will tka epayment if they feel they must.

The question is ; Is this legal?
    If not, what can I do?

Talk to the company in question. Ask them how was the payment made if you were not in the country.
    Talk to your card issuer.

They can't just take the money unless they have your permission to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

while I don't think it was proper what happened, unless you left your card details on file with them with the understanding that they take payment when due from it.

But in the current climate I don't blame the supplier for using the card when you owed the money. It was always a problem getting accounts paid up to date in ireland and now it is one of the reasons why so many small business are going to the wall .. they just can't get paid.

By the sounds of it your account was due on the 1st of the month, and you didn't call to settle it, so they used your card details to settle up. So regardless of the legalities of it your supplier has the money due to him now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Credit card mandates are a bit different to other forms of mandate. (Think about how a hire car company or hotel can charge your card after the fact).

I'll move this to Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

dudara

whippet wrote: »
    So regardless of the legalities of it your supplier has the money due to him now !!

Absolutely NOT the way to look at this. If the money was taken without any form of consent, then you can not disregard legalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

They informed you when the payment was due and you didn't question it so why should they not take it?

Gillo wrote: »
    They informed you when the payment was due and you didn't question it so why should they not take it?

Taking money without consent is stealing. If they had his card details for Transaction A and ALSO used the details for Transaction B when no payment details were given for Transaction B, then that is not allowed.

Advertisement