Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe the moderation system can be unfair and in need of a major overhaul?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055641574

So what exactly is going on here? I don't know Niggaplease, and I'm not trying to be a white knight, but I'm trying to highlight just how wrong the modding on boards.ie is sometimes.

To my eyes, the dialogue went something like this:

Niggaplease: I got banned. Why?
    Mods: lol offensive username
    Niggaplease: How is it offensive? You have a user called 'Nog'
    Mods: urrr Nog is a Star Trek character everyone knows that..
    Niggaplease: Yes, well some people wouldn't see it like that. So it's not really any different to my situation.
    Mods: mods=gods
    Niggaplease: So, if anyone wants to give a reasonable explanation?
    Niggaplease: You have a user called Hitlersson666, surely that is more offensive?
    Mods: You sir, are an idiot. mods=gods hurr aren't we great

The thread seemed to highlight pretty well the inconsistency, childishness, superciliousness and pettiness of the mods.
    Any attempt to question any modding decision either results in a locked thread, a ban, or both. The entire feedback system seems to be a farce that merely exists for the purpose of ridiculing anyone with a complaint.

Moderators never ever seem to consider the possibility that they can be at fault at all, and if they are called out on an unfair decision, they'll either say "if you don't like it, you can go elsewhere" or "boards.ie isn't a democracy", as if they don't have any higher aspirations to be fair and just rather than petty and arbitrary. The one thing a mod will never do is admit that they were wrong, the only way to get an incorrect modding decision overturned is to flatter them and pamper their inflated nerd egos.

I dare a moderator to try justify that shameful carry on in the thread linked to above.

Do you believe the moderation system can be unfair and in need of a major overhaul? 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Countdown to thread being locked and/or deleted to cover dissent.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think that's a great username. It reminds me of that picture of the old dead pope (that I won't post, but is really cool).

Anyways, I've nothing to say, carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You're using one thread where a user was banned for having a racist username and their appeal rejected by the admins to call the entire moderation of the site, and all 700 odd mods, into question? Well, I suppose if you're gonna sling crap you may as well aim high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No.

Did you get your name from a BBC Radiophonic Workshop tune? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I dare a moderator to try justify that shameful carry on in the thread linked to above.

I double dare you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055641574

So what exactly is going on here? I don't know Niggaplease, and I'm not trying to be a white knight, but I'm trying to highlight just how wrong the modding on boards.ie is sometimes.

To my eyes, the dialogue went something like this:

Niggaplease: I got banned. Why?
    Mods: lol offensive username
    Niggaplease: How is it offensive? You have a user called 'Nog'
    Mods: urrr Nog is a Star Trek character everyone knows that..
    Niggaplease: Yes, well some people wouldn't see it like that. So it's not really any different to my situation.
    Niggaplease: So, if anyone wants to give a reasonable explanation?
    Niggaplease: You have a user called Hitlersson666, surely that is more offensive?
    Mods: You sir, are an idiot. mods=gods hurr aren't we great

The thread seemed to highlight pretty well the inconsistency, childishness, superciliousness and pettiness of the mods.
    Any attempt to question any modding decision either results in a locked thread, a ban, or both. The entire feedback system seems to be a farce that merely exists for the purpose of ridiculing anyone with a complaint.

Moderators never ever seem to consider the possibility that they can be at fault at all, and if they are called out on an unfair decision, they'll either say "if you don't like it, you can go elsewhere" or "boards.ie isn't a democracy", as if they don't have any higher aspirations to be fair and just rather than petty and arbitrary. The one thing a mod will never do is admit that they were wrong, the only way to get an incorrect modding decision overturned is to flatter them and pamper their inflated nerd egos.

We're not mods, we're admins. What we say goes.

You lose your poll.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Look, once the decision (the subjective, opinion based, un-scientific decision) has been made to ban that username... what exactly do you want from us? A poem?

How can anyone "justify" any decision like that.... do we use a graph? A set-square?

So the only answer can be "its our call" which if you want to , you can interpret as "mods=gods".

Hitler was a real historical figure, ugly as that may be what he did is fact and shouldnt be whitewashed.

Thats a million miles, IN MY OPINION, from "NiggaAnything" and well you know it too I believe.

So, there it is. I dont want "nigga" on my site but i'll put up with Hitler. Do I have a scientific justification for that? No, I'm just content that thats where I want to draw my line. I dont have a theorem to back it up.

Can everyone else in this thread either have something REALLY PERTINENT to say or please avoid back-seat adminning please.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement