Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bush Drinking - The misty-eyed nostalgia thread!!!

• 18-08-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

I'm a high class individual (obviously) in my early 30's - I've drank in the finest of establishments all around the World and in trendy bars in most European Capitals......

But can you really beat heading out into the wild with a plastic bag full of cans on a Friday evening as the Sun is just starting to set?

Sitting under a tree discussing the complexities of life, love, the Universe and who can burp the loudest/longest/most frequently?

- I think it might have been the fresh air or the drunken freedom after a long week but I'll always remember those long Summers evenings with nostalgia, best pints I've ever had :p

So where did ye all go Bushin'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Raiser wrote: »
    I'm a high class individual (obviously) in my early 30's - I've drank in the finest of establishments all around the World and in trendy bars in most European Capitals......

But can you really beat heading out into the wild with a plastic bag full of cans on a Friday evening as the Sun is just starting to set?

Sitting under a tree discussing the complexities of life, love, the Universe and who can burp the loudest/longest/most frequently?

- I think it might have been the fresh air or the drunken freedom after a long week but I'll always remember those long Summers evenings with nostalgia, best pints I've ever had :p

In my day we called it 'goin on the knack', and as such consisted of necking lukewarm cans of dutch in whatever mucky field/ditch/enclosed space the Guards couldn't reach. Yours sounds like a magical, romantical time though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Stephen's Green on a saturday in summer with the punks and the goths and the cureheads..a bottle of champagne cider for 1.29 from quinsworth..great days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

We called it knacker drinking, can't be bet tbh

there was a run-down mansion in a field near us that used to be full of young ones pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Bushing..... Down the woods by my house. I agree with the warm can issue also. But i wouldn't change a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Field, 16 years old, flagon of Cider, happy days.

Ah viewing the world through those cider tinted eyes incited much nonsensical gibberish.

Memories ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Crouching cider, hidden nagon! :D

Nothing beats a sunny afternoon down by Spannish Arch, some bavaria and huzzar! Always fun. Except when the rain comes out of course. Or the guards... The amount of liquor I've had to pour out! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Amatuers, scouts FTW.

Tents, fire, cans: much better than just a crappy field. Warm and you can stay up till6 drinking and only have a 30 second crawl to bed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sitting up on the score board at the local GAA pitch with 10 cans of Harp, happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The first time I went knacker drinking I had six cans of Bud. I puked after the fourth or fifth can. Lesson was learned after that. Don't drink Bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Some laneway off Brookwood Avenue (Artane) on the way to the Grove.

Straight vodka down the hatch! :pac:~~~

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

There was an old, abandoned mansion a few miles from my house where we would go when I was seventeen. We would also go to the beach when that house was later renovated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

We had a quite a few knacker drinking spots.
    Outside the grove(never got in)
    The racecourse in baldoyle
    The asgard sheds in howth
    Sutton golf course
    Stepehns green
    Grafton St generally
    The back of the Abbey(scabby) Mall
    Outside the pierrot club on the quays
    Herbert park
    The canal at baggot st
    The fields at the back of Newgrove house where clare hall is now
    The seafront across from graingers in baldoyle
    Stapolin house in baldoyle.
    Drink-wise tastes varied from cider(cans and flagons) to sherry(VP and Amozo) to vodka(Satarov or something) or some muck like quantro if somebody cold nick abottle from thier house.
    Also wentthrough a phase of making home-brew beer which i remembert pouring into a Lenor bottle for the journey into town..i'd washed the bottle but not the cap and i can still taste it to this day.
    Anybody else smoke nutmeg or mace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Nothin' beats a beach :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

raah! wrote: »
    Nothin' beats a beach :)

Sand dunes on an Algarve beach drinking cans of Super Bock as the waves crashed in, just kicking back and chatting to people from all over Europe..... Good times.....

\ Except for that Hyper Portugese Gimp with his mini drum starting bad sing-alongs Fr. Ted style !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

the roof of my primary school :)

where we used to arrange the wheelie bins in pyramids on the roof to make it especially awkward for others in the morning :)

brilliant times.....till ya had to climb down drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My friend just recently mentioned wanting to do this, so getting lots of ideas.

Thanks. :)

Larianne wrote: »
    My friend just recently mentioned wanting to do this, so getting lots of ideas.

Thanks. :)

Sorry - can't really talk Larianne, am up to my eyes organising the first ever Bush Drinking/Knacker Drinking Boards.ie Beers.

Its going to be like Woodstock, but with a much greater emphasis on the casual sex.

- Further details to follow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

"bushin'" - ur defo from the country so ha! for me it was the good oul local golf course, perfect conditions for drinking especially the benches on the tee boxes!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I went knacker drinking in Wexford town and ended up in hospital with a concussion (drank some straight vodka and washed it down with a few cans, smashed my head off the train tracks).

Other than that just the beach once or twice, with less shameful results.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about muff diving of some sort? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Knacker drinkin we called it, until we changed it to "on the knack". Behind the swimming pool or up the woods... back in the days you could get 10 bottles of Stella for €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Did this plenty, still do often enough. I actually prefer it to going to the pub - nobody will give you a second glance for skinning up, it's a lot cheaper, no assholes you dont like etc.

The shít thing is that it was safer to do this before I was 18 - back then, all would happen is drink taken and possibly (but unlikely) be taken home. Now, there is a €750 maximum fine for anyone drinking in public, but they can't fine minors.

A good house party is the best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Isn't bush drinking the same as muff diving, only wetter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

do the young folk drink flagons anymore?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Isn't bush drinking the same as muff diving, only wetter?

3 posts too Late :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

antodeco wrote: »
    3 posts too Late :P

Ah bollox, I was too busy beating round the bush before I posted it.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Go my bike licence at 16, went to different rally's every weekend. We'd have bands, smokes, beers, girls and tents and thats before you went to lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Any poor unfortunate here remember "thunderbird" fortified wine?

God that was some hooch!

Have to pay respects to the old "lcl pils" Get the 6pack pop them into the

local river then roll up in time withe stereo for Classic hits 6 oclock rock......

happy days.

Oh just remembered dancin like a loon to whigfield when that came out:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

How old is too old for knacker drinking? Yez are all acting like 30 or 40 year olds. Maybe ye are? Anyway if you're still in you're 20s, well, get out into a field next saturday night and flake into a bag o' cans!

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about muff diving of some sort? :(

Well actually now that you mention it, Bush Drinking is the only social setting where snacking on the furry kebab will scarcely raise an eyebrow.

- The only rule is that her Mam has to think shes in the College Library and your Mam has to think you are staying over at a friends playing games on their Commodore Amiga [Yes I am 30+ :o]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sorry - can't really talk Larianne, am up to my eyes organising the first ever Bush Drinking/Knacker Drinking Boards.ie Beers.

Its going to be like Woodstock, but with a much greater emphasis on the casual sex.

- Further details to follow :p

Ah right, deadly buzz, yah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody else smoke nutmeg or mace?

I ate 10 grams of nutmeg once (half the dose I was told to take). It was the most horrible experience of my life. It literally felt as if my body weighed a ton and I had to stay lying down to avoid throwing up. Apparently you can die from a nutmeg overdose quite easily.

I can't believe I managed to keep my cool (my parents were in the house and all), if it happened nowadays I'd probably diall 999 crying down the phone that I'm gonna die :(.

Apparently the guy who told me about it did lose his cool and got in serious **** with his parents + condescending "i told you so, don't do drugs talk" and was trying to get revenge by spreading the pain forward or something.

Thankfully today's youth don't go through that because they can read up about stuff on the internet before they try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Mr.Obvious wrote: »
    I ate 10 grams of nutmeg once (half the dose I was told to take). It was the most horrible experience of my life. It literally felt as if my body weighed a ton and I had to stay lying down to avoid throwing up. Apparently you can die from a nutmeg overdose quite easily.

I can't believe I managed to keep my cool (my parents were in the house and all), if it happened nowadays I'd probably diall 999 crying down the phone that I'm gonna die :(.

Apparently the guy who told me about it did lose his cool and got in serious **** with his parents + condescending "i told you so, don't do drugs talk" and was trying to get revenge by spreading the pain forward or something.

Thankfully today's youth don't go through that because they can read up about stuff on the internet before they try it.

+1. Thank god for Erowid, it's saved me taking nutmeg myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought it was going to be another "PC'ness gone mad" thread that "knacker drinking" was an offensive term and you must now call it "traveller drinking" or bush drinking or somethingelse, I've only heard the term bush drinking once before.

Golf courses can have nice seats, and shrooms of course, but not in my ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

We called it knacker drinkin. I wont tell ya what bushin means in my area.

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    We called it knacker drinkin. I wont tell ya what bushin means in my area.

Where's the romance? Where's the finesse? No Ladies in your area obviously :p

- I think that Coillte should install beer vending machines in all of our Woodland beauty spots. This should be brought in alongside punitive taxation measures on Squirrels; Keep the fcukers from getting hammered permanently......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Was called Knacker Drinkin in Wexico anyway.
    Recently I made contact with all the folk I used to knacker drink with through Facebook. We set up a group and had a reunion at our old spot there a few weeks ago.
    Was great craic. People came from all corners of the globe for it.
    Folk I hadn't seen in about 15-20 years!!!
    Give it a go, we're already planning the next one at Halloween!!!!

Regards

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

6 Dutch: €7
    10 Blue: €3.05
    3-in-1 from the chinese: €3

Watching some fat garda fall in the muck as you bail it over the wall with bag of cans still in hand: Priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

I used to love goin on the knack! Actually done it a fair bit this summer in a few Dublin centre spots... the can of Dutch\Scrumpy has been replaced by a coffee cup of wine tho.. chin chin!

The main downside to knacker drinking is getting your hands on the booze when your on the inconvenient side of 18.. lots of loitering outside off-licenses we had to do... asking any 'cool' looking person to purchase us booze.. One time we asked this dude to get us 15 cans of Bulmers... he was not Irish and to him Bulmers and Beamish seemed to mean the same thing so there we were stuck with 15 Beamish and no glasses. An evening of gagging ensued!

The most annoying thing for girls though is having to go for a pee... More than once I've had a twig poke me in an unfortunate area whilst I've hovered around the back of a bush. The place we used to go years ago was on the top of a big hill in Cornelscourt and more the panicked shriek of a girl going tumbling over her head with her knickers round her ankles was a very common thing...

Never happened to me though.. ¬_¬

Advertisement