Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking time for different size cake tin, suggestions?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi, this is my first time posting in this forum, so I hope this is right the place to post this!

I'm going to bake my trusty chocolate sponge cake, but I want to change the cake tin from the usual 22 - 23cm to an 18cm (9cm deep) tin. I usually bake it at 180'C for 45 mins. Does anyone have any recommedations for cooking times for a smaller/ deeper tin? I think I'm going to put it in at 170 and keep and eye on it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I agree, I'd put it in at 170 and give it around 10-15 minutes extra - I'd put it in just below the centre of the oven too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Thanks Dizzyblonde, that's exactly what I did and it came out perfectly :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have a question about this too! I want to make brownies (recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brookes-Best-Bombshell-Brownies/Detail.aspx). It make 24 servings and is to be cooked in a 9' x 13' pan. I want to reduce it to 12 servings, but only have a 9' x 9' pan. Will I destroy the recipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Hmm...those brownies look scrumptious!

Are you planning to make 12 large servings or halving the ingredients? If you're thinking of halving the ingredients, they might come out a bit flat and dry unless you cook them in a really small tin. You could always make 24 and freeze the extra 12. Always good to have a stash of frozen brownies you can just pop in the oven for a few mins for a quick chocolate hit!

If you are just going to change the tin size, dropping the oven temp by 10 degrees and keeping them in for an extra 10 mins seems to work. Dizzyblonde made the very useful point of sticking them in slightly lower in the oven too.

Any chance you could send any leftovers my way? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm halving the recipe. I looked through the reviews and a lot of people said they did that and cooked it in a 9x9 pan, and they turned out great. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement