Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

absolutely random thought

Options
  • 18-08-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

I'm sure it has been mentioned here before.

I think that if someone is pulling off the dole, then they should be on a list for public service or state projects.

Whereby they can at any time be given a job by the state as they come up.

Say they need 100 people to clean the street or whatever.

Or people to document something? Or anything

Why pay other people or organisations when they have a large body of people already being paid.

If they refuse they have to take a reduction in the dole or not get it any more.

If they are disabled obviously allowances can be made.

If you want to get out of it, you have to go to a government employed doctor and get an evaluation as to why you are unable to perform the tasks. If acceptable then they take you off a list of tasks that your disability means you cannot perform.

Or if something like the flu, temporarily remove from list for 2 weeks. Then back to front of que etc...

If you are found to be a junkie, put into a program funded by state. If drop out, reduce dole or cut it.

The state could increase the dole by a set amount whilst you are working in these jobs etc..

Also the incentive would be, it gets lazy people back working.

Once you are workign 9-5 anyway, you would look for a job especially if it is better paid. Hard!

And you might even gain some qualification along the way...

This is a really rough sketch of what I think.

Free medical cards... Need more regulation to, havent thought about this one.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

You're not allowed to say things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

bleg wrote: »

Just read the charter... can you please tell me which rule I'm breaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

For some reason there is a tendency in western countries to overemphasise the extent of "lazy scroungers" living off the State. There obviously are many, for example here in the UK I know of plenty, but they are definitely the minority, a far smaller minority than you might think.

That's not to say there aren't things that could be done to give those who are planning to just sit back and live off the dole the rest of their lives a kick up the arse, but seriously, it's the least of our concerns at the moment - you anger might be better placed at the politicians who sold the last 20 years out to foreign corporations, or the high and mighty upper classes who coast through life without lifting a finger and still pay measly taxes.

I just don't understand why the wrath of the public is so easily directed by conservatives towards the poor and unemployed and away from the real money wasters and leeches - the rich and ruling class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 david1301

bleg wrote: »

Yeah your certainly not allowed say stuff the whole country, sorry world view as sensible government, God forbid such thoughts on how to get scroungers (not all dole claimers obviously) away from the bookie/pub/couch actually doing something proactive for their real employers, the people paying tax. Granted Muboop's statement is obvious and last century's thought as he admits, but its a fair statement. See the Australian 'work for dole' scheme. But hey! this is Ireland, why fix something thats broken! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Yixian wrote: »
    For some reason there is a tendency in western countries to overemphasise the extent of "lazy scroungers" living off the State. There obviously are many, for example here in the UK I know of plenty, but they are definitely the minority, a far smaller minority than you might think.

That's not to say there aren't things that could be done to give those who are planning to just sit back and live off the dole the rest of their lives a kick up the arse, but seriously, it's the least of our concerns at the moment - you anger might be better placed at the politicians who sold the last 20 years out to foreign corporations, or the high and mighty upper classes who coast through life without lifting a finger and still pay measly taxes.

I just don't understand why the wrath of the public is so easily directed by conservatives towards the poor and unemployed and away from the real money wasters and leeches - the rich and ruling class.

I don't say this out of anger, im a student with a prospective career, so it makes no difference to me now etc... so i have no anger or resentment.

It just looks like such an ideal way to get people up doing stuff and instead of the government effectively wasting money people can earn it.

So many people who live very productive lives lose their jobs, then spend weeks or months looking for new ones... then seem to give up.

I'm not saying they are scroungers, but i personally would rather work especially if it gave me an increased dole supplement for example.

There are always going to be people who need to be exceptions, and this idea would have to be way more thought out for every eventuality but it still seems better then the current system!

Also, people on the dole wouldn't be looked at as trash. It will for self confidence and self esteem help people alone to keep active and actively promote themselves for employment etc...

Also means no blank spot on CV, many many great things to be gained by it by both the state as a whole and the individual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My pet peeve is not so much those who claim dole but those who work in the 'black economy' while doing so.

They not only draw from the state, but also prevent those who would work from getting employment or maybe even a chance to work for themselves.

There is one way I considered that would stop this practice in its tracks ......
    if a scheme were introduced whereby a private person could claim against their tax any money paid to another for work done, the black economy could be eliminated. Companies etc can do this .... expenditure is offset against gross income and the net is taxed.

So if I employ someone to paint my house, I take their Social security number, have somewhere on line to confirm name and number etc, and then am able to offset that payment against my income tax. If I could do this there is no way I would choose to employ someone who would not give me the details to check and make my claim.

I am sure there are better methods to administer such a scheme, if some thought was put into it, but the end result would be that those on the dole would have very limited opportunity to both work and draw dole.

The net result for government would be more people working - self employed maybe - less on the dole and so on. I reckon it would be a win-win for everyone .... except those who are cheating the system presently.

Dole should of course be available for those days they are unemployed. All income reckoned for tax purposes etc.

Hit the scroungers and leave everyone else alone ..... things are bad enough without making them worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

muboop1 wrote: »
    Just read the charter... can you please tell me which rule I'm breaking?

Oh don't get me wrong it's not the charter that stops you. In fact I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. If anybody says anything remotely like that in the public sphere though they'd be lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Good luck getting any party to support those notions. Not because they're all bad ideas, per se, just that it would be a very unpopular move.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Yixian wrote: »
    its about 4.5% of the population, which is around a third of the people that are the dole....so he's right to bring that point up

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

MID SURGERY

Surgeon : Nurse pass me 10cc of hydrocortalimide to neutralise....

Nurse drops to the floor.....

dammit Nurse GIT is after injecting himself again ....

GIT the former junkie : SWAaaaarrrr ...this stuff is better than bleeding methadone ..rapid buzzzzz!

• Advertisement
Advertisement