Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major employers in Galway

Options
  • 18-08-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering who the major employers in Galway are - who's missing from this list:

Medtronic
    Boston Scientific
    HP (do they still count as major?)
    UCHG
    Creganna
    SAP

(I'm sure Dunnes must employ a fair few, but as it's all in different sites am leaving them out.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Cisco? (dunno, just guessing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

galah wrote: »
    Cisco? (dunno, just guessing)

Hes had to lay a few off, think hes still coasting off the success of the "Thong Song".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dept of Defence
    Dept of Education/NUIG/GMIT

Apparently galway is a biomedical manufacturing hotspot, whatever that means

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dept of Defence
    Dept of Education/NUIG/GMIT

Apparently galway is a biomedical manufacturing hotspot, whatever that means

Aren't Creganna, Boston Scientific and Medtronic all in the biomedical manufacturing business?

APC
    City and County Councils
    Supermacs
    BMR

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    Aren't Creganna, Boston Scientific and Medtronic all in the biomedical manufacturing business?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Anybody care to but them in order so they just include how many the employ in Galway.

I would imadine HSE would top the list taking into consideration they have 2 big hospitals and loads of clinics.
    Boston Scientific would be 2nd with about 3,400 people in Galway - a guess

According to the the CSO, there are 24,500 people signing-on in Galway, so that might be the biggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I employ 4, not much, but looking at it another way, i increased my staff numbers by a whopping 25% this year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

snubbleste wrote: »
    According to the the CSO, there are 24,500 people signing-on in Galway, so that might be the biggest.

Jesus christ.

13518 signing on in the city alone - what's the workforce population in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »
    13518 signing on in the city alone - what's the workforce population in Galway?

It's not as bad as it sounds: Galway (24,478) is broken down into

Ballinasloe
    Gort
    Loughrea
    Tuam
    Galway City - 13518
    Clifden

So the "city" figure actually includes a fair bit of Co Galway to the west. I don't know what the official boundary with the Clifden office is, but am pretty sure that Spiddal and Oughterard (for example) are in the city count.

Also remember that it includes all the folks who are "signing" because they're on short weeks.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I employ 4, not much, but looking at it another way, i increased my staff numbers by a whopping 25% this year.:D

Good stuff, every little helps.

Thinking about it, as well as the employer names (handy 'cos they'll help with coming up in search results), I'm also interested in places that have a lot of people working at them (eg Liosban estate).

I've got quite a few (http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/industrial-estates-business-parks-and.html), but wondered what I might have missed.

I've heard that there's a business park in Knocknacarra somewhere - anyone know where, and who's big there? (Have heard rumours about a Hibernian call centre, not seen an evidence or job ads though.)

Is the place that was called Connacht Lanudry big any more, or is everything automated now? (I know they rebranded, can't remember what to.)

Ah right Mary, forgot about the short timers etc.

It's still fecking ridiculous anyway.

Have you thought about the Library? They have a large community message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I thought it was an interesting question so i went googeling.
    Most of the sources are pre 2008, when life was full of rainbows and daisy's, so the numbers wont be accurate.

Boston sci = 2500 (it was 3000)
    Medtronic = 2400
    Dunnes = I would hazard a guess of 150 per store X 6 stores
    UCHG = 600+ (1998)
    Creganna = 500
    HP = 500
    SAP = 400
    Tyco healthcare = 200 (old source)
    Multis = 125

I was quite shocked by the number of people signing on.
    Population of galway is 72K

Krieg wrote: »
    I was quite shocked by the number of people signing on.
    Population of galway is 72K

aye but that includes children, students, persons with disabilities, OAPs, etc.

So the workforce (what unemployment percentages are based on) is even smaller than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

The biggest employer has to be the public sector - local authorities, teachers, third level staff, nurses, doctors and so on and so forth and what have you and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Tedole wrote: »
    The biggest employer has to be the public sector - local authorities, teachers, third level staff, nurses, doctors and so on and so forth and what have you and the like

are you sure, be good to see the figures as assumed the private sector would have been the biggest employer, probably not much in it though at a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Xiney wrote: »
    aye but that includes children, students, persons with disabilities, OAPs, etc.

So the workforce (what unemployment percentages are based on) is even smaller than that.

I've always wondered how many people in Galway actually work. Even during the good times it seemed to be a pretty low number. Last year it was like 13,000 on the register, now its 12,500.

If you account for people that don't work and aren't on the register like those you mentioned I'd bet nearly half the people in the city don't work. I don't know what its like anywhere else but where I work the majority of people working here don't even live in the city. They live in Oranmore, Athenry, Corofin, Headford etc.
    It always amazes me how many people are around Eyre Square on a week day. Of course alot of those would be people that work nights like myself but theres only so many that could. Tis Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

You might be interested in the following CSO transport data for Galway:
    http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Town%20Profiles%20E-N.pdf
    It is from 2006 survey
    Page 36 and 37 of this document has lots of useful info on the transport modes of Galway City workers.
    "
    26,017 workers resided in Galway City in April 2006. Of these, 5,056 worked outside the city
    leaving 20,961 persons who both lived and worked in the city. A further 18,931 workers travelled
    into Galway City to work resulting in a working population of 39,892.
    "

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    where I work the majority of people working here don't even live in the city. They live in Oranmore, Athenry, Corofin, Headford etc.

Yup, that mirrored my experience. Except that the places were Gort, Loughrea, Roscommon, Spiddal, Oughterard, etc. There was even one guy who came up from Nenagh each day. This is the bit that I find crazy: living in a small, relatively beautiful, country, and messing up it and your life with long commutes.

Tedole wrote: »

It's (possibly) the biggest sector, but it's not all one employer, though. And for my purposes, they're not all at the same site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I'd say NUIG must be up there with the rest. It employs a huge amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You might be interested in the following CSO transport data for Galway:
    http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Town%20Profiles%20E-N.pdf
    It is from 2006 survey
    Page 36 and 37 of this document has lots of useful info on the transport modes of Galway City workers.
    "
    26,017 workers resided in Galway City in April 2006. Of these, 5,056 worked outside the city
    leaving 20,961 persons who both lived and worked in the city. A further 18,931 workers travelled
    into Galway City to work resulting in a working population of 39,892.
    "

Wow! So back in 2006 before the troubles just over half were working...now its got to be under half...crazy!

Also just thought about it, any students coming to Galway from other places towns wouldn't be counted in the Galway City census would they? So that's even more people in the city during the college year with most of them not working

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Manager at work (who reckons himself the marketing guru) says NUIG is the 2nd largest employer in Galway. Too lazy to look up statistics. :p its gotta be up there tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Nortel would be another big employer... dunno how many tho.

Quick question:

Someone mentioned Tyco.

Google tells me that they're now called Covidien (well Covidien is a division of Tyco), Irishjobs makes me think they're still around in Ireland, and goldenpages.ie says's thy're in Michael Collins Rd.

Is that all correct? (I'd never heard of 'em before this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

JustMary wrote: »
    Quick question:

Someone mentioned Tyco.

Google tells me that they're now called Covidien (well Covidien is a division of Tyco), Irishjobs makes me think they're still around in Ireland, and goldenpages.ie says's thy're in Michael Collins Rd.

Is that all correct? (I'd never heard of 'em before this thread).

Ya They are still there almost accross the road from Thermo King. Near 300 working there as far as i know.

They are nearly 20 years in that location :)

Puritan Bennett
    Nelcor
    Mallindcraft
    Tyco
    Covidien

It has been through a good few name changes over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Sniipe wrote: »
    Nortel would be another big employer... dunno how many tho.

Around 300 i think.

And you will be calling it Avaya by the end of the year!

• Advertisement

Or: to let 20,000 sq feet of recently renovated office space

Advertisement