Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy damaging house wall

Options
  • 18-08-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Ivy has been growing up our extension back wall from the garden that backs onto ours - our extension goes down to the end of our garden. Can I chop it away from our wall? It's inside our limits, as in the back garden wall remains in place. I don't know whether the concrete of the extension is below par or whether the ivy caused the damage, but when I pull some of the suckers away, pebble-sized lumps of concrete come away too. The extension is about 5 years old. Some of the main stems that I'm sawing through are almost 2" wide - have been going at it with a saw.

It'll leave them with a blank wall to look at unfortunately. Should I talk to them about maybe planting something less damaging?

(Mods please move if this isn't the appropriate forum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Would it not be wiser to kill the ivy through a different method? Simply pulling and further damaging weak rendering is not a good idea. You'd be better to repair any holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Of course I thought of using roundup or something - but that would be as bad as sawing down a tree in their garden? I'm only legally allowed to saw off branches overhanging my wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

There have been lots of similar threads, do a search of the forum.
    I reckon the best course is always to talk to your neighbour first, they may not be aware of the problem. If you make them aware and they choose to do nothing then you can cut or poison the offending stems.
    With ivy it is usually better to cut the stem and leave it in situ, to die off naturally, rather than try to pull it away.

Advertisement