Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from Social Welfare

Options
  • 18-08-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

Just received a letter from the Social Welfare office, requesting that I turn up for a meeting with the LES (Local Employment Services) in limerick. It says all people unemployed under the age of 64 are being contacted about this.

Just wondering has anyone else in Limerick city received something similar recently?? It kinda says you have to turn up, as it may affect your payments, but the website for it makes it out to be completely voluntary so just wondering does anyone know what the meeting is all about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You would be wise to attend it anyway. the worst that can happen is that you would end up on a waiting list for a course in FAS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Local Employment Service? Why bother, they don't sound like they'd be able to help you get a job. Locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

concussion wrote: »
    Local Employment Service? Why bother, they don't sound like they'd be able to help you get a job. Locally.

because if you dont turn up they might cut off payments .... no offence intended OP but if you are unemployed and claiming welfare you must be available for interviews etc ..... and this is simply an interview to assess what types of work you are looking for and capable of doing.

Ps. the answer to the question: Are you looking for work is:

a) yeah - but theres not a lot out there

b) yes - have sent out CVs but havent heard anything

c) yes - have searched online and stuff but havent actually found anything that I want

will be over in max 10mins (and will have you thinking that it was a complete waste of half a day/couple of hours)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I am looking for a job. Don't have a problem going at all, just wasn't sure what to expect from it. Wanted to know if everyone is getting called for it or what. And kinda wanted to know if it's a group thing or individual thing too as it would be handy to know before going....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

PCPhoto wrote: »
    because if you dont turn up they might cut off payments

Thanks PCPhoto, you've really opened my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

is it short notice by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just received a letter from the Social Welfare office, requesting that I turn up for a meeting with the LES (Local Employment Services) in limerick. It says all people unemployed under the age of 64 are being contacted about this.

Just wondering has anyone else in Limerick city received something similar recently?? It kinda says you have to turn up, as it may affect your payments, but the website for it makes it out to be completely voluntary so just wondering does anyone know what the meeting is all about?

Have you been unemployed for a long spell OP? I ask because generally the LES get in contact with those that are in long term unemplyment.

You should defo go to it as you never know what it could lead to.

The worst that can happen is it tells you nothing that you don't already know.

But on the plus side, it may make you aware of services that you can avail of to aid you in job hunting, or make you aware of a course that might interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

It could be related to this as well - no harm in going. Shows them that you are still actively looking for employment. Bring a copy of your CV as well - they may help with the layout of your CV etc. Ask them for interview techniques and things like that. Its a good opportunity to use all resources available for you - some people pay for things like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

zuroph wrote: »
    is it short notice by any chance?
    It's just over a week's notice, so it's not bad.
    cAr0l wrote: »
    It could be related to this as well - no harm in going. Shows them that you are still actively looking for employment. Bring a copy of your CV as well - they may help with the layout of your CV etc. Ask them for interview techniques and things like that. Its a good opportunity to use all resources available for you - some people pay for things like that!
    Thanks for the link. I'm going anyway just wanted to have an idea what it was about. The other thread says about sending people on courses and i've spent the last 6 years in college i don't really want to do another course, so wondering now could they make me.I guess I would if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VolumeII

I know this is an old thread but I found it recently when I received the same letter myself. For anyone wondering what happens when you go, they just tell you that you can have €500 towards any course that you might want to do (not just a fas course). The course has to be temporary or short term. When I suggested one that was 14 weeks long (one a week), she said that would be suitable. They do not ask you any questions about what work you have been looking for or anything like that. They do not know how long you have been out of work either. It is wise to go even if you have no course in mind as your dole could be cut if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

zombie thread

do not drag up old threads

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement