Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Rules at Work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not being allowed any form of facial hair, being forced to cover up piercings with plasters and tattoos with a bandage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Once upon a time, I, unfortunately ended up with a hickey. I tried to cover it up with make up but this was one mean looking bruise. I wore a scarf to work and my manager asked me to take it off. I argued, saying I had bought the scarf in the store blah blah blah but to no avail. Took off the scarf and she said that if I ever dared to present myself to work in that condition again, I'd be fired! Good times! The customers thought it was hilarious for the next few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Novella wrote: »
    Once upon a time, I, unfortunately ended up with a hickey. I tried to cover it up with make up but this was one mean looking bruise. I wore a scarf to work and my manager asked me to take it off. I argued, saying I had bought the scarf in the store blah blah blah but to no avail. Took off the scarf and she said that if I ever dared to present myself to work in that condition again, I'd be fired! Good times! The customers thought it was hilarious for the next few days!
    Jesus the shame of that!

Jesus the shame of that!

............ :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Worked in a place were a incident took place in the ladies locker room. Couple of days later a few of the wise boys changed all the posters that listed all the work rules around the place and added a new one.

No ****ting on the floor of the ladies locker room.

Loved the confused look on new employess faces!:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

God if she said that to me id tell **** OFF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Do not tell Ministers that they are fncking idiots and that NAMA is stealing 60 billion from the Irish taxpayers.

Do that and you're not a team player.

Big massive hickeys don't really give off the best impression when you're working though do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

3-4 weeks notice to request a day off, because the rosters are made stupidly far in advance. Massive form with loads of stuff to fill out on it too.

Part-timers in college have to show their timetable to HR, that's a bit much.

Drpaery staff may not phone in sick to personnel and must spend ages wasting their time ringing the store number and eventually getting through to an abusive manager.

Show timetable to HR ........ha ha if your working where i think you are some people print off a new timetable that suits them better loads of people have done it .

• Advertisement

I kinda need my job though :( I would have loved to, trust me!
    Big massive hickeys don't really give off the best impression when you're working though do they?

Well maybe if the guy listened when I said that to him, I wouldn't have had that problem in the first place. :)

I kinda need my job though :( I would have loved to, trust me!

Well maybe if the guy listened when I said that to him, I wouldn't have had that problem in the first place. :)
    A stern stop usually does the trick to stop people I find.:)

A stern stop usually does the trick to stop people I find.:)

I tried.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sealclubber

We have to wear clothes. Apparently nudism isn't a religion.

I tried.... :)
    :rolleyes: not very hard apparently!! Tut tut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I used to work for a well-known Pharmacy chain, and most of the the staff were female. Anyway in the employee handbook it said "All staff members must wear make-up while at work". There was one bloke in the place, grey-bearded Pharmacist who was disgusted with this rule. One day the Owner came in, and the Pharmacist put on bright red lipstick. The guy didn't know where to look.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: not very hard apparently!! Tut tut!

What can I say.... He was good and it was worth almost losing my job!

What can I say.... He was good and it was worth almost losing my job!
    Lol not much I can say to that so!!

Lol not much I can say to that so!!

Plus now we're allowed wear scarves to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

50 No's and 1 Yes means Yes :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

the customer is always right..... i mean wtf they can clearly be wrong

Plus now we're allowed wear scarves to work!
    So you made a change in uniform?? Shame on you!!
    Overheal wrote: »
    Ha ha I can imagine that

No...stop...don't bite my neck

Are you sure you don't want me to bite you.

Yes.

Ha score I heard yes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

If you bed a customer, make sure she's satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Sh1t in the bowl not on it, and flush!

yea this was made worse due to no windows and the lil fan not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cavinio

i worked in a nighclub once for a few months..

staff were allowed in for free we were informed,

then the rules.. rule 1 staff are NOT allowed on premisis, gives club a bad name!
    place closed a year later :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Work in a normally casual dress area. Wear shirt and trousers every day even though you never meet clients. Fridays are casual.

OK, what is so special about Friday? If your going to insist I wear annoying, impractical clothes to do my job each day, at least be consistent about it.

Having casual Friday is basically an admittance that they don't intend for any work to occur on Friday or they know their dress code is bollocks and they want us to know it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Degsy wrote: »
    I'd tell them to stick thier job!

In my job I have to correct all spelling mistakes like yours

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

c4cat wrote: »
    In my job I have to correct all spelling mistakes like yours

I believe you mean youares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

where I work ypur not allowed to have stubble but you are allowed to have a beard.This means that you have to take time off work to grow a beard.
    pithater1 wrote: »
    Not being allowed any form of facial hair, being forced to cover up piercings with plasters and tattoos with a bandage.

Dunnes Stores i assume????

In my job(not Dunnes BTW) we HAVE to use pens to open boxes instead of Box Cutters or blades due to safety reasons... Dunno if it's for the staff's safety or the costumers???:rolleyes:
    Either way, I've had countless numbers of pen burst all over my hands(not the easiest thing to wash off)and in my pocket resulting in 4 ruined bottoms and even got some all over phone..

Stupid Safety Bollox!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

cavinio wrote: »
    i worked in a nighclub once for a few months..

staff were allowed in for free we were informed,

then the rules.. rule 1 staff are NOT allowed on premisis, gives club a bad name!
    place closed a year later :rolleyes:

That's the rule in quite a lot of pubs and clubs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hang on....... you have a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hang on....... you have a job?

Shouldn't you be asleep by now? Surely that big electronics place you work in doesn't like it when you come in all sleep deprived like :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gandhi123 wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores i assume????

In my job(not Dunnes BTW) we HAVE to use pens to open boxes instead of Box Cutters or blades due to safety reasons... Dunno if it's for the staff's safety or the costumers???:rolleyes:
    Either way, I've had countless numbers of pen burst all over my hands(not the easiest thing to wash off)and in my pocket resulting in 4 ruined bottoms and even got some all over phone..

Stupid Safety Bollox!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    sure, you have a house key, dont you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Achilles wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be asleep by now? Surely that big electronics place you work in doesn't like it when you come in all sleep deprived like :P

I know I should be but I've just finished my holidays, I was up late each night and I haven't readjusted. Right now I'm not knackered.

You still working for that ISP, or did you get your ass fired by being consistently late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

orestes wrote: »
    No drinking and no shagging the customers. Pffft

Do you still work in that morgue?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

At 10:31. Because it takes us 3 hours on average to decide what we want for lunch. If you dont ask until 12:30, you wont eat until 3. We're very indecisive.

Are you in my office every Friday? I didn't think this happened to anyone else!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You clearly don't work in a pub!

It's a myth that barstaff are always shagging the customers.

The other staff on the other hand....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

ShooterSF wrote: »
    In a hotel I worked in we had a handbook which along with general rules outlined also explained where each department was to search in the event of a bomb scare.

Worked in a place that had a sign up that read:

Fire Warden: Michael Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

When I worked in the bank there was no rule against attempting to usurp the HR Manager's authority and convene your own company-wide staff meeting in the canteen to lay out the new plan while dressed in underpants and slippers.

I'd be fairly certain there is now though.:o:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

When I worked in the bank there was no rule against attempting to usurp the HR Manager's authority and convene your own company-wide staff meeting in the canteen to lay out the new plan while dressed in underpants and slippers.

I'd be fairly certain there is now though.:o:)

There is. You just kept doing it didnt you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Where I work, when your sending out a project status email you have to place the most senior people in order of seniority on the To and CC part of the mail, its the stupidest thing I've seen so far.... Every one knows where they come in the comapny from these mails....:mad:

Haha :)

Girl : Please don't give me a hickey. I have work tomorrow and it really doesn't go down well.
    Guy : No problem.

Ten minutes later

Guy *sucking girls neck*
    Girl : NNNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! (She tried!)

So you made a change in uniform?? Shame on you!!

Ha ha I can imagine that

No...stop...don't bite my neck

Are you sure you don't want me to bite you.

Yes.

Ha score I heard yes!!

A change for the better! :D Wooooo! No more walking around with a tilted head!

Haha :)

Girl : Please don't give me a hickey. I have work tomorrow and it really doesn't go down well.
    Guy : No problem.

Ten minutes later

Guy *sucking girls neck*
    Girl : NNNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! (She tried!)

A change for the better! :D Wooooo! No more walking around with a tilted head!
    Pffft ye women lose all willpower if someone goes near yer ear lobes or neck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

We have dress down friday but we are not allowed wear jeans, cords or tracksuits. I dont own any other form of trousers apart from those three so I dont dress down.

Pffft ye women lose all willpower if someone goes near yer ear lobes or neck!!

This is true. My job has become more understanding to that fact! There is absolutely NOTHING I can do if someone is gonna kiss my neck, I can't take the punishment of being fired for an act that is not preventable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

horgan_p wrote: »
    not where i work , but i've called to fix computers in places where they have a rule about "custom ring tones"
    Apparently if it didnt come with the phone you cant use it :eek:

I wish that rule applied to my work.

My boss, actually my 58 year old boss, has the most horrific ring tone ever. One of those high pitched voice thingys singing a classic song. What's worse is that a lot of the time he has wondered off somewhere else in the office, and the thing sits there ringing out that noise.

Honestly, it's aural rape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

kmick wrote: »
    We have dress down friday but we are not allowed wear jeans, cords or tracksuits. I dont own any other form of trousers apart from those three so I dont dress down.

Come in this Friday in your skiddy y-fronts.

They might amend that rule then. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Work in a normally casual dress area. Wear shirt and trousers every day even though you never meet clients. Fridays are casual.

OK, what is so special about Friday?
    Same here... I work in a place with no customers, we'll never see a customer, and yet we have to wear slacks/shirt/tie... Except on Friday! (?) What's the point of the dress-code during the week?

Previous place I worked, before I started there, they apparently had no dress code but then enforced it because some girls were wearing too-revealing clothes... Again except Friday! (No customers there either)

Makes no sense... why didn't they just make the rule "No revealing clothes"... and why is it OK on Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Jeez what a wimpish lot yez all are nowadays.

I served an apprenticeship in a Glasgow shipyard in the late 1950s, and there they really had rules. The day started with the yard gates opening at 6.30 am, by which time there would be a long queue of workers waiting. Squad foremen would come out and shout out how many men each of them needed in the various trades, and those selected would collect a brass disk with a number on it from the tallyman. At 7 o'clock the gates closed, and anyone who wasn't in then was out of work.

There were no tea breaks. We all had bean cans with a welding rod as a handle, and secretly we would fill them with water and some tea leaves, and get a burner (the guy with the oxy-acetylene torch) to boil it. If we got caught drinking it, sacked.

There was a lunch break. It was half an hour, but no pay for it. It was considered to be your own time.

There were strict skill lines. One could be a burner, a hole borer (had his own drill and some bits), a fitter, a plater, a journeyman (someone who had finished his apprenticeship but was yet to prove his use). No-one was allowed to cross those lines, so if you were a fitter who needed to fx something to a bulkhead and it needed a hole for the bolt, you had to go find a hole borer.

Everyone had to have his own tool kit. No tools, no job.

Chargehands were demigods. They each had a shed on the dock wall that was signed "Chargehand". Enter there at your peril. Foremen were real life gods. They could sack you on the spot for no reason at all. They all wore bowler hats with lead linings so that when someone accidentally dropped a chain block on their heads it simply bounced off.

At the end of the working day you handed in your brass tally to the tallyman, and could then see him the next day to collect your pay for the previous day. Then you joined the queue.

The only mitigating rule was that if you didn't get hired on any one day, you were allowed to collect your tools so that tomorrow you could offer your services to the next yard down the road.

ART6 wrote: »
    Jeez what a wimpish lot yez all are nowadays.

I served an apprenticeship in a Glasgow shipyard in the late 1950s, and there they really had rules. The day started with the yard gates opening at 6.30 am, by which time there would be a long queue of workers waiting. Squad foremen would come out and shout out how many men each of them needed in the various trades, and those selected would collect a brass disk with a number on it from the tallyman. At 7 o'clock the gates closed, and anyone who wasn't in then was out of work.

There were no tea breaks. We all had bean cans with a welding rod as a handle, and secretly we would fill them with water and some tea leaves, and get a burner (the guy with the oxy-acetylene torch) to boil it. If we got caught drinking it, sacked.

There was a lunch break. It was half an hour, but no pay for it. It was considered to be your own time.

There were strict skill lines. One could be a burner, a hole borer (had his own drill and some bits), a fitter, a plater, a journeyman (someone who had finished his apprenticeship but was yet to prove his use). No-one was allowed to cross those lines, so if you were a fitter who needed to fx something to a bulkhead and it needed a hole for the bolt, you had to go find a hole borer.

Everyone had to have his own tool kit. No tools, no job.

Chargehands were demigods. They each had a shed on the dock wall that was signed "Chargehand". Enter there at your peril. Foremen were real life gods. They could sack you on the spot for no reason at all. They all wore bowler hats with lead linings so that when someone accidentally dropped a chain block on their heads it simply bounced off.

At the end of the working day you handed in your brass tally to the tallyman, and could then see him the next day to collect your pay for the previous day. Then you joined the queue.

The only mitigating rule was that if you didn't get hired on any one day, you were allowed to collect your tools so that tomorrow you could offer your services to the next yard down the road.
    Damn Irish taking all the scottish jobs..

Back in my day Ireland let in any immigrant and now I can't get a fcuking job for the life of me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement