Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Rules at Work

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Where I work, when your sending out a project status email you have to place the most senior people in order of seniority on the To and CC part of the mail, its the stupidest thing I've seen so far.... Every one knows where they come in the comapny from these mails....:mad:

And what if you get it wrong? A formal warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

No pants on a Thursday!

K.C's chipper on a Friday for lunch! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

ART6 wrote: »
    I served an apprenticeship in a Glasgow shipyard ....

Luxury...

I'm not allowed bend anyone over my desk anymore since the last time I got caught doing it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Luxury...

I'm not allowed bend anyone over my desk anymore since the last time I got caught doing it.:mad:
    what about other people's desks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I used to work at in this office in Ballsbridge a few years ago. They had this awful dress code rule. You could only wear black to work, no other colour -- even on on 'casual friday' you had to still come in dressed in black. I only worked there for 6 months. I quit the day I opened my wardrobe and realised that 90% of my clothes were black because of that fcuking place! I handed in my notice and went on a shopping trip.

Well it was an undertakers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Only when going for promotions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

HR have a whole chapter of extra rules just for me. I'm sure theres a form I'd have to fill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

In my company we're not allowed any other brand of phone other than the one the company manufactures.

Since been given my notice I've made sure I brought in and flaunted my Nokia E61 and iPhone :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jeez what a wimpish lot yez all are nowadays.

I served an apprenticeship in a Glasgow shipyard in the late 1950s, and there they really had rules. The day started with the yard gates opening at 6.30 am, by which time there would be a long queue of workers waiting. Squad foremen would come out and shout out how many men each of them needed in the various trades, and those selected would collect a brass disk with a number on it from the tallyman. At 7 o'clock the gates closed, and anyone who wasn't in then was out of work.

There were no tea breaks. We all had bean cans with a welding rod as a handle, and secretly we would fill them with water and some tea leaves, and get a burner (the guy with the oxy-acetylene torch) to boil it. If we got caught drinking it, sacked.

There was a lunch break. It was half an hour, but no pay for it. It was considered to be your own time.

There were strict skill lines. One could be a burner, a hole borer (had his own drill and some bits), a fitter, a plater, a journeyman (someone who had finished his apprenticeship but was yet to prove his use). No-one was allowed to cross those lines, so if you were a fitter who needed to fx something to a bulkhead and it needed a hole for the bolt, you had to go find a hole borer.

Everyone had to have his own tool kit. No tools, no job.

Chargehands were demigods. They each had a shed on the dock wall that was signed "Chargehand". Enter there at your peril. Foremen were real life gods. They could sack you on the spot for no reason at all. They all wore bowler hats with lead linings so that when someone accidentally dropped a chain block on their heads it simply bounced off.

At the end of the working day you handed in your brass tally to the tallyman, and could then see him the next day to collect your pay for the previous day. Then you joined the queue.

The only mitigating rule was that if you didn't get hired on any one day, you were allowed to collect your tools so that tomorrow you could offer your services to the next yard down the road.

Y'tell that to t'youth o' t'day... they won't believe yeh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

Work at home so have no rules myself, but mate works for a multi-national company that has banned the use of the phrase "black and white" in both emails/written materials and verbally......apparently it could be interpreted as racist

PC gone mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I used to work in an office where they made us fill out these god damn TPS reports, I used to hate them so much so I stopped coming in all that regularly.

Myself and a few guys started skimming off the top then and we almost got caught until another employee, a strange individual, burned the place down over a stapler.

Now I live happily ever after with Jennifer Aniston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Jeez what a wimpish lot yez all are nowadays.

I served an apprenticeship in a Glasgow shipyard in the late 1950s, and there they really had rules. The day started with the yard gates opening at 6.30 am, by which time there would be a long queue of workers waiting. Squad foremen would come out and shout out how many men each of them needed in the various trades, and those selected would collect a brass disk with a number on it from the tallyman. At 7 o'clock the gates closed, and anyone who wasn't in then was out of work.

There were no tea breaks. We all had bean cans with a welding rod as a handle, and secretly we would fill them with water and some tea leaves, and get a burner (the guy with the oxy-acetylene torch) to boil it. If we got caught drinking it, sacked.

There was a lunch break. It was half an hour, but no pay for it. It was considered to be your own time.

There were strict skill lines. One could be a burner, a hole borer (had his own drill and some bits), a fitter, a plater, a journeyman (someone who had finished his apprenticeship but was yet to prove his use). No-one was allowed to cross those lines, so if you were a fitter who needed to fx something to a bulkhead and it needed a hole for the bolt, you had to go find a hole borer.

Everyone had to have his own tool kit. No tools, no job.

Chargehands were demigods. They each had a shed on the dock wall that was signed "Chargehand". Enter there at your peril. Foremen were real life gods. They could sack you on the spot for no reason at all. They all wore bowler hats with lead linings so that when someone accidentally dropped a chain block on their heads it simply bounced off.

At the end of the working day you handed in your brass tally to the tallyman, and could then see him the next day to collect your pay for the previous day. Then you joined the queue.

The only mitigating rule was that if you didn't get hired on any one day, you were allowed to collect your tools so that tomorrow you could offer your services to the next yard down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

were not allowed to sexually harass our female work collagues.i think its ridicluous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

were not allowed to sexually harass our female work collagues.i think its ridicluous.
    `

Terrible rule, my day just drags on if my breasts aren't fondled at the photocopier at least once. I suppose its ok to to do it your male colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

In my current job, the dress code is Black or White but it's just for my team cos that's what my manager wants. Everyone else in the firm can wear whatever they like also they have casual friday we don't because we deal with the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

I work in a call centre and

If were 5 min's late for work warning, 3 warnings ur fired
    if your off sick (even with doc cert) warning, 3 warnings ur fired
    if we dont make enough cll per hour ... u guessed it warning
    you have to press a button on the phone if you leave ur desk to go to the loo.

Your not allowed to brain storm you have to have a thought shower
    you cant book a holiday for the month ur in, it has to be done a month in advance
    you can park in certin car parks unless u car share
    you cant use cash in the canteen, it a card that u load with cash before hand and if you loose the card they charge u €6 for a new 1
    you cant use the internal phone system to find out if somebody is going on break

theres a lot more one of which is u cant use the internet while at work, so if i get caught typing this im fired :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

omega42 wrote: »
    I work in a call centre and

If were 5 min's late for work warning, 3 warnings ur fired
    if we dont make enough cll per hour ... u guessed it warning

Your not allowed to brain storm you have to have a thought shower
    you cant book a holiday for the month ur in, it has to be done a month in advance
    you can park in certin car parks unless u car share
    you cant use cash in the canteen, it a card that u load with cash before hand and if you loose the card they charge u €6 for a new 1
    you cant use the internal phone system to find out if somebody is going on break

theres a lot more one of which is u cant use the internet while at work, so if i get caught typing this im fired :)
    That sounds like the worst job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

nope, I once worked in a meat processing plant where my job was taking best before labels of meat and putting new ones on :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

nope, I once worked in a meat processing plant where my job was taking best before labels of meat and putting new ones on :)

Good man yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Like omega this is a call centre one, if someone rings in and says there is a bomb anywhere else AND THE CENTRE YOU ARE IN :eek: follow these steps (will outline them below from what i remember between laughin so hard it hurt)

1 Keep them on the phone and DO NOT HANG UP

2 Ask them why they planted the bomb

3 Ask them which group they belong to and what is their demands

4 Does their accent sound Irish, arab, asian, etc etc :D (yep Irish was first)

5 Ask them what type of device it is and where it is located (be the worst bomber in the world to answer that!)

The feckin thing was two pages long by which time the buildin would have been blown up and rebuilt!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

Overheal wrote: »
    sure, you have a house key, dont you.

This is what i think of you:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

GAAman wrote: »
    Like omega this is a call centre one, if someone rings in and says there is a bomb anywhere else AND THE CENTRE YOU ARE IN :eek: follow these steps (will outline them below from what i remember between laughin so hard it hurt)

5 Ask them what type of device it is and where it is located (be the worst bomber in the world to answer that!)

The feckin thing was two pages long by which time the buildin would have been blown up and rebuilt!!! :rolleyes:

To be fair the most likely person to plant a bomb in a call cente is someone working there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

This is understandable - you're probably on a list of people to receive calls and pressing the button takes you off the list... they don't want your phone ringing if you're not there to answer it.

The rest of those rules sound like hell though...

Company I worked for we weren't allowed to wish people (our customers) a "Happy Christmas"... because... Our customers were American and our bosses were afraid they'd be offended if they weren't Christian! We had to say "Happy Holidays" or something neutral.

(Though some of them afterwards wished us a happy Christmas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sounds illegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I used to work in an office where they made us fill out these god damn TPS reports, I used to hate them so much so I stopped coming in all that regularly.

Myself and a few guys started skimming off the top then and we almost got caught until another employee, a strange individual, burned the place down over a stapler.

Now I live happily ever after with Jennifer Aniston.
    Wasn't she sleeping with your boss?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

komodosp wrote: »
    Wasn't she sleeping with your boss?

Lumbergh ****ed her?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sh0egal

I used to work for a certain financial institution and the manager in the particular branch where i worked wouldn't let the cashiers sit down behind the counter....apparently you had to earn the right to sit down! I hated him, he used to come around every afternoon and stand behind you smoking a cigar...so intimidating....

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

In my company if anyone goes on holiday we are expected to bring back 'goodies' for the office. Something like chocolates or sweets.

Although it isn't in my contract, I was told the day I started that it was expected and people would not be happy if I didn't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

GAAman wrote: »

Until a few years ago every desk phone in British Rail/Railtrack/Network Rail had a sticker on it with a shortened version of those instructions.

There's still quite a few of them around in railway offices throughout the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

grundie wrote: »
    In my company if anyone goes on holiday we are expected to bring back 'goodies' for the office. Something like chocolates or sweets.

Although it isn't in my contract, I was told the day I started that it was expected and people would not be happy if I didn't comply.

That's not really a rule, thats just what loads of places do.

Everyone does it so if someone doesn't, people wonder why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Despite my employer making several billion profit per year, they reward high performing employees with a laminated A4 'award' because there is a 'spending freeze' rule in place for 51 weeks of the year which prevents unnecessary spending.

They are rules on what you can wear/not wear in the building I work in, even though it's a call center and customers can't see you.

We have a 'clean desk' policy but it doesn't cover food/drink/personal effects. It's actually about having the authors name & review date on any written documents!

Every door in the building can only be opened by swiping your security card. You sometimes have to go though 3 doors to get to toilet facilities. Apparently, there is some super secret data in there.

I once submitted a procurement request for a Leer Jet and some Pens. It was rejected because I didn't order the pens from the preferred supplier.

Advertisement