Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland is NOT a tipping country!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Happy + Happy = Happy. So why are people so opinionated by such a matter?

I

because if you don't tip in the traditional industries you'll get filthy judgemental looks, and they may remember you the next time you use them. I know i've gotten the eye-roll if i havn't had the change to tip the pizza dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

To avoid unnecessary awkward situations / dirty looks / spit in your food I suggest driving to the takeaway and pick up your own food, and cook your own food instead of eating in a restaurant.

That will learn them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

So because they allow themselves to be exploited, I should give them money?

So you'd rather they didnt work and sponge off the state instead?:rolleyes:

Honestly the way some of you in here turning your nose up at delivery people and the like in here is sickening, ok if you dont wanna tip, no need to be a dcik about it.

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    ok if you dont wanna tip, no need to be a dcik about it.

No need for delivery people to be a dick about not getting a tip either, tbh, ftw, imho.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    No need for delivery people to be a dick about not getting a tip either, tbh, ftw, imho.

Absolutely true. But the example im thinking of really is the kind of guy or girl who spends the evening waiting on a bunch of people til their run into the grouund (i.e. fetching drinks etc etc etc) whether they be inconsiderate monsters or nicey nicey's who spend a couple of hundred yo yo's or more, think its only fair they get tipped. Dont care what anyone says by that, time they have earned, whether they are on the 'plentyful' minimum wage or not.

(And I'm not a delivery driver/waiter etc and never have been!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

Minimum Wage in this country isn't all that high relative to our buying power(and living costs). If they need to lower Minimum Wage and Welfare they need to deal with the cost of living first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I tip nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snyper wrote: »
    When you get pizza delivered to your house..always tip... if you dont your next pizza will probably be garnished with genital lice munching away on your pepperoni.
    So not only are some of them working outside the law, they can add blackmail & extortion to their CVs, quite impressive.
    To avoid unnecessary awkward situations / dirty looks / spit in your food I suggest driving to the takeaway and pick up your own food, and cook your own food instead of eating in a restaurant
    My postman manages to deliver my letters without feeling the need to wipe his hole with them first, I wonder how he can resist the temptation, odd bloke. I never tip him but my father actually does tip his postman at xmas, since he does go above & beyond his job requirements for him.

I know people who delivered on the basis of getting tips. If people did the decent thing and stopped this practice of supporting illegal/"black economy" workers then people would not take up the illegal/black economy jobs in the first place. So all delivery places would find they have to pay people a reasonable wage for their work, and not have their workers in this haphazard & embarrassing "wage agreement"

Absolutely true. But the example im thinking of really is the kind of guy or girl who spends the evening waiting on a bunch of people til their run into the grouund (i.e. fetching drinks etc etc etc) whether they be inconsiderate monsters or nicey nicey's who spend a couple of hundred yo yo's or more, think its only fair they get tipped. Dont care what anyone says by that, time they have earned, whether they are on the 'plentyful' minimum wage or not.

I ran my balls off around a factory floor one summer on minimum wage. 8 solid hours everyday of stacking heavy boxes flying off a conveyor belt, non stop.

I don't see why a paid waitress / waiter needs a tip because they are "run off their feet". Plenty of people on minimum wage work just as hard / harder than those in the service industry who will never even be considered tip-worthy.

I think the reason tips exist is the humility or embarrassment on the side of the customer, who feels guilty for having being waited on.

• Advertisement

I think the reason tips exist is the humility or embarrassment on the side of the customer, who feels guilty for having being waited on.

Exactly why you SHOULD tip, waiting involves a far more personal service, fetching someone their dinner and drinks for an entire evening, hardly the same as working in a factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

I far more resent paying 18 euros for a fuckin pizza that cost 2 euro to make than i do throwing some fella a couple quid to deliver it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think tipping is bullsh!t but tbh, I usually do tip the delivery guy 'cause I feel so fcuking guilty for being so lazy as to not hop in the car and go get my own food!

Also, if he's hot, he'll definitely get a tip! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

That would be totally illegal no?

It sure is, but it's happening all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

So you'd rather they didnt work and sponge off the state instead?:rolleyes:

Honestly the way some of you in here turning your nose up at delivery people and the like in here is sickening, ok if you dont wanna tip, no need to be a dcik about it.

No, just that if someone is being exploited by their employer they should have the self-respect to do something about it.

Exactly why you SHOULD tip, waiting involves a far more personal service, fetching someone their dinner and drinks for an entire evening, hardly the same as working in a factory.

Ah but without the workers in the factory that computer on your desk may not have ever existed, the barrels of beer may never have been delivered to the restaurant / pub, the ingredients in the food might never have been packaged and processed for the chief to create your meal.

Do you tip the guys in the kitchen who are slaving away preparing your food? If you are going to tip, why only tip the last person in the chain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sometimes tip, sometimes not,but i hate when they won't give you change, they fumble around for ages just so you say keep the change.

Theres one Indian restaurant and the guy NEVER has change. The bill comes to 17 i give him 20 and he fumbles around for ages then says he has no change. WTF? if you're delivering food you need change. If ;people want to tip you they will and if they don't they wont.

Needless to say I order from somewhere else now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Possibly. Hippy or not, students tend not to have a lot of money (apart form the D4 ones)

<snip>Do not disclose another poster's personal details with their express permission - Hagar <snip>

Ah but without the workers in the factory that computer on your desk may not have ever existed, the barrels of beer may never have been delivered to the restaurant / pub, the ingredients in the food might never have been packaged and processed for the chief to create your meal.

Do you tip the guys in the kitchen who are slaving away preparing your food? If you are going to tip, why only tip the last person in the chain?

Christ, your never going to get it are you?! The guys in the kitchen eh? You mean the well paid chefs?!

Tell you what, next time your in a restaurant with friends, family etc and it comes to bill paying time, why dont you voice your intention not to give any tip whatseover outlining the above reasons and see what they think of you afterwards.

Christ, your never going to get it are you?! The guys in the kitchen eh? You mean the well paid chefs?!

Tell you what, next time your in a restaurant with friends, family etc and it comes to bill paying time, why dont you voice your intention not to give any tip whatseover outlining the above reasons and see what they think of you afterwards.

Versus the well paid -for the job they do- waiters/waitresses?

What about the commis chefs, cleaners who ensure the surfaces food is prepared on is germ free, the girl on the till, the guy behind the bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

are you talking about pizza/chinese/indian delivery men??
    Most of them get paid NOTHING like minimum wage. They might get 20 quid for the night (<?4 per hour) and then tips and they've to pay their own petrol etc.
    Sure that's illegal. They must be entitled to the E8.65 an hour??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

<snip>Do not disclose another poster's personal details with their express permission - Hagar <snip>

That where he works?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

do doctors,firemen,bus drivers get tipped for doing their job?no so why should someone who gives you yout food get a tip?FOR DOING THEIR JOB!

Versus the well paid -for the job they do- waiters/waitresses?

What about the commis chefs, cleaners who ensure the surfaces food is prepared on is germ free, the girl on the till, the guy behind the bar?

What about them!!!! Perhaps they should get a job as waiter!! Then they'd get some tips!

How much do doctors get paid etc, firemen, guards etc? Waiting is typically an underpaid job and most decent people are happy to tip the lad/lady who has been well, waiting on them hand on foot all night, as perhaps who knows, those same doctors, guards, firemen may have had to scrape their way through college relying on tips from their waiting job!

Tell you what, as an experiment, try and tip your doctor, fireman or guard and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Probably meant the plate scrubbers and veg choppers on min wage.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Theres one Indian restaurant and the guy NEVER has change. The bill comes to 17 i give him 20 and he fumbles around for ages then says he has no change. WTF?
    Needless to say I order from somewhere else now.
    You should give them one more go, take out the 20 and ask if he has change, if he says no say, "ah jaysus, and I was starving and all, ah well", and close the door.

What about them!!!! Perhaps they should get a job as waiter!! Then they'd get some tips!

What about them??? Without them your evening out would not go as it normally does.

Honestly the Reservoir Dogs extract hits the nail on the head. It makes no sense that society feels the need to tip a certain section of workers but not others.

Maybe they tip out like they do in the States :rolleyes:

What about them??? Without them your evening out would not go as it normally does.

Honestly the Reservoir Dogs extract hits the nail on the head. It makes no sense that society feels the need to tip a certain section of workers but not others.

Perhaps, however they are the ones, front of house, dealing with me, personally handing me my food! So why dont you tip everyone instead of discriminating then?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

suzieb wrote: »
    And degsy I find your comment quite rude about learning to type.You know not everyone that delivers food is an idiot who can't get a better job. Most of the people I work with have degrees and are in college part time. I also went to college so am not some gobshi*e who cannot turn on a computer.:mad:

It's just a quote from resevoir dogs (the video earlier), don't think he meant it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As I said it the last topic about tips I do it when it benefits me. I tip a delivery driver or a bar person and if they deliver my food/ serve me quickly in future I throw them a few quid now and then. It's really paying a little more for preferential treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

But if everybody tips say 15% who gets preferential treatment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah, was going to put in the Reservoir dogs quote before, but couldn't find it.

Some would want the waitress to give them a blow job before they'd tip, very true.

There is a certain snobbish attitude about waitresses, barmen etc. and one good thing about Stephen is it will cut that back.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

In one of my jobs I waitress in a hotel that gets tours, you know, the coach tours. And drivers tell them not to tip us as the service charge is included. It isn't.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I thought that the minimum wage need only be paid to people over a certain age and who were in the job for a certain length of time so its possible that the employer is doing nothing illegal by paying sh!t wages if the delivery man is under 18 or in the job less than 6 months.

I might be wrong so if i am i stand to be corrected but i thought that thats why apprentices/trainees/probationers/hired monkeys get lower rates than the minimum.

I'm too lazy right now to check this out so if anyone wants to google it i shall check back here later for free wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

I've worked in the the service industry myself (mostly bar, occasional restaurant work) and I've two opinions about it:

1. I've always felt that the only time a person should be tipped is when they have done a particularly good job. I've never expected a tip off of any customer, but when received, I am appreciative. I'll admit that I am more likely for tipping any service sector worker, seeing as I worked in the service area myself, but at the same time I won't tip for poor service.

2. I personally have never seen any public facing industry in which a person can be patronised more than the service industry. I worked in a bar which was very near a court house, which served mostly barristers, judges and taxmen. Never in my life was I treated in such a manor (by some customers) as I was in the that pub. People automatically assumed that you were an uneducated fool for working in such a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I thought that the minimum wage need only be paid to people over a certain age and who were in the job for a certain length of time so its possible that the employer is doing nothing illegal by paying sh!t wages if the delivery man is under 18 or in the job less than 6 months.

I might be wrong so if i am i stand to be corrected but i thought that thats why apprentices/trainees/probationers/hired monkeys get lower rates than the minimum.

I'm too lazy right now to check this out so if anyone wants to google it i shall check back here later for free wisdom.

The way it works is:

The minimum wage is for over 18's and is: €8.65

The National Minimum Wage Act provides the following sub-minimum rates:
    • An employee who is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (this is 70% of the minimum wage)
    • An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    • An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hagar wrote: »
    But if everybody tips say 15% who gets preferential treatment?

If this thread is anything to go by I don't have much to worry about in that regard :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Heres a tip, dont keep glass light bulbs in your back pocket.

I tip if the service/food was above average.

You are all a shower of tight posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

IMHO tipping is the bane of the lower paid, as it allows miserable employers to pay minimal wages and still feel good saying, "Oh, it's not so bad, you'll make it up in tips"

Bullsh1t !!!

The customer pays for the service, they should not be made to feel that they are "miserable" merely because they do not wish to pay for it twice.

Having said that, I must admit that I will give a tip for service beyond what one should normally expect. NOT to some surly b@stard who takes no interest in their job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holyshow

I ran my balls off around a factory floor one summer on minimum wage. 8 solid hours everyday of stacking heavy boxes flying off a conveyor belt, non stop.

I don't see why a paid waitress / waiter needs a tip because they are "run off their feet". Plenty of people on minimum wage work just as hard / harder than those in the service industry who will never even be considered tip-worthy.

Running around with boxes all day is hard work alright but it's not the same as dealing with the public directly. I have no sympathy for people in waitering, delivery or retail who have a bad attitude. They shouldn't be in that business and I don't think anyone should have to tip if they don't want to.

If I've been looked after by someone who is getting paid the minimum wage or if someone in retail has gone beyond the call of duty to sort something out for me I will tip away. I've been tipped amazingiy generously when I was in a retail job that rarely ever sees tips and it always made my day.

People love moaning about service. Usually these people are young and won't be there forever. They don't give a hoop about you but when I meet one that is good I tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Degsy wrote: »
    Boo fcuckin hoo.
    I've got two words for them "learn to fcuckin type".
    Jesus
    use the money ya save not tipping to buy some empathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I have a tip for delivery drivers:

dont work as delivery drivers.
    Yeah cause they have so much choice in this country..

Some delivery people have degrees but can't get jobs and need to support themselves and their family...we can't all be as lucky to pick and choose our jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Worked for a small pizza delivery place while in college - we got minimum wage per hour, some nights we might only get 3 hours work and usually only 3 nights a week - we had to pay our own fuel costs, so without tips, it wouldn't of been worth while.I never expected a tip, but generally if there was a euro or less change- people let you keep it.your a scabby prick if you wait for 10 or 20 cent change back off someone who's working in the rain all night.but be that way - karma and all that.hope someday some of you who have been unnecessarily whinging, have to deliver to get by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Guys before you all jump on your stingy, moral high-horse bandwagon, read the below please.

Anyone who is working may NOT nessecarily be an employee and therefore may be earning pennies.
    That would be totally illegal no?

No, not nessecarily.

I was doing door-to-door (not any more thank god); 100% comission based. You're technically self-employed, you don't sign a contract of employment but an agreement to provide a service. The same could easily apply to these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i like tipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Work in a restaurant. We have to tip out (i.e we pay a percentage of our sales (not tips) to the kitchen staff). I've found the majority of people who don't tip to be rude, obnoxious, ignorant and a lot more demanding than those who do. I actually couldn't care less whether or not someone tips, it's their choice and hard earned money at the end of the day.

I've worked a few jobs throughout college, working as a waiter is the only one that allowed me to reduce my working hours whilst earning roughly the same amount as other part time jobs. I'd do 8-10 hours max whilst I'd have college friends who had to do upwards of 25+ to earn about the same. Any other job I've had has been a doddle compared to being a waiter. Unless you've done it please don't knock it.

Waiter rant: Irish customers learn some table etiquette, there's a sizeable minority over here who have none whatsoever. Seriously, if you're rude, obnoxious, ignorant upon the first interaction I'm going to make you wait longer for everything, I couldn't give a ****é about possibly losing out on a tip. It's not that hard to be courteous to your waiter/waitress for the evening, after all you'd expect the very same in return. When you've been served your food and I ask is it cooked okay for you it's because if there's a problem with it I can have any problem resolved in enough time so that you can actually eat at the same time as your partner/group of friends.

Oh and by the way, if you're the kind that look down upon service staff there's a good chance they're a hell of a lot more smarter and educated than you ever will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^^^ Get this man a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

Waiter rant: Irish customers learn some table etiquette, there's a sizeable minority over here who have none whatsoever. Seriously, if you're rude, obnoxious, ignorant upon the first interaction I'm going to make you wait longer for everything I couldn't give a ****é about possibly losing out on a tip. It's not that hard to be courteous to your waiter/waitress for the evening, .
    By all means, one must treat all persons courteously, but should you ever make a customer wait, you are just sending them elsewhere and id f they are like me, they won't be back.

Someone somewhere seems to have forgotten the oldest maxim of the service industry. "The customer is always right".

The very reason it is called the Service industry is because those in it, are there to SERVE that implies courtesy and a reasonable standard of service. If you are not being paid enough, take it up with your boss NOT the customer. If it wasn't for him/her, you would not have a job at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

ozzirt wrote: »
    ..forgotten the oldest maxim of the service industry. "The customer is always right". ...

http://www.notalwaysright.com tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tipping is personal. I do it. I don't give a sh*t who else does.

One thing though: unless you have achieved exactly what you wanted career-wise, and can guarantee that sickness, bad luck or any other factor will not drag you down you from there, why bother with the get-another-job replies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement