Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks in AH

Options
  • 18-08-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Would you like to see Thanks disabled in After Hours? 50 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Ruu_OldChongKaromaNevynSeñor JuárezSarkyCalhounRbMimikyuDonkeyStyle \o/Diageio_ManTurd Fergusondelta_bravoDayshaphantom_lordHail 2 Da ChimpbikoThomas_S_HuntersonMooseJamKamiKazi 50 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If the thanks were worth anything I'd agree with you, but there not so why go to the effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I voted no because I find those stupid replies to be amusing in many cases.
    AH is one of the only places in which I can see a pun and actually laugh at it, rather than just think how stupid it is.

If you think this measure would reduce these stupid replies then I'm fully against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, either get rid of it altogether, or leave it as it is. Disabling it in specific forums is just defeating the purpose. So you can thank someone in the TV forum, but not on After Hours? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stupid replies were a feature of AH long before Thanks was ever a feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

No, either get rid of it altogether, or leave it as it is. Disabling it in specific forums is just defeating the purpose. So you can thank someone in the TV forum, but not on After Hours? Ridiculous.
    I agree.
    I use thanks for many reasons:

I agree/+1
    That was an interesting post.
    Well done User, thanks for that contribution.
    You just made me LOL

etc/

Its a pain in the ass when it isnt activated.
    Like here on feedback. i would have thanked Caps suggestion because i see what hes saying, but i don t think that is going to be the solution to idiots showing off on AH.
    I then would have thanked Karls post because i share his view.

I dont think removing it from AH would stop idiots popping up.
    I think removing the idiots heads IRL would stop them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

voted no

If a post is interesting/funny I'll thank it, and that's what others do too

It beats having to reply to posts with LOL or +1

AH is what it is imo, and doesn't pretend to be otherwise

If people didn't like it they wouldn't keep posting in it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ah why can't I thank anyone's fecking posts here?!!!
    /rips hair out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No
    The admins disabled it a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

No. It helps me find the posts worth reading

and also to attempt some decent posts myself. Yes I am a thanks whore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Interestingly, when thanks was first rought in it was disabled in AH iirc and brought in there when it was brought up a bunch of times by users who wanted to thank the funny posts. This place really does go in circles sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe there could be a button where members can disable thanks when they're starting a new thread..?

Then people can make threads without worrying about any whoring posts

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't like Man Utd. Can we ban discussion of them from boards too?

This is the thread for suggesting things we want that other won't want, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think that's something which people believe but isn't actually true. Because...
    Stark wrote: »
    Stupid replies were a feature of AH long before Thanks was ever a feature.
    Precisely.
    Damn it, I wanted to thank that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't like Man Utd. Can we ban discussion of them from boards too?

This is the thread for suggesting things we want that other won't want, isn't it?

Someone made a simple suggestion and people are now discussing it and explaining why they are pro or con like adults...

edit- if thanks was still in feedback i would have thanked dudess. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But after hours was always like that or at least as long as I remember. Threads were always full of people trying to be funny. Thanks hasn't changed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm surprised that people can see the difference between smart replies designed to garner thanks, those designed to garner laughs and those designed just to wind people up/for the sake of it.

Did people never do it in AH before thanks came in?

Or are people suddenly hanging all their gripes about AH on the thanks function?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

please can we have thanks in the dome please? There's the odd good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

How about a "Hide Thanks" option on User CP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    It's just Karma and Reputation all over again. The only reason it hasn't blown up like those two features yet (and I do stress yet) is becuse there's no "anti-thanks" to directly upset people. I'd like to see it gone altogether. Spammy +1 posts might increase, but that's what moderators have a delete button for, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Hagar wrote: »
    If the thanks were worth anything I'd agree with you, but there not so why go to the effort?
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    I voted no because I find those stupid replies to be amusing in many cases.
    AH is one of the only places in which I can see a pun and actually laugh at it, rather than just think how stupid it is.

If you think this measure would reduce these stupid replies then I'm fully against it.
    Nerin wrote: »
    I agree.
    I use thanks for many reasons:

I agree/+1
    That was an interesting post.
    Well done User, thanks for that contribution.
    You just made me LOL

etc/

Its a pain in the ass when it isnt activated.
    Like here on feedback. i would have thanked Caps suggestion because i see what hes saying, but i don t think that is going to be the solution to idiots showing off on AH.
    I then would have thanked Karls post because i share his view.

I dont think removing it from AH would stop idiots popping up.
    I think removing the idiots heads IRL would stop them. :)
    voted no

If a post is interesting/funny I'll thank it, and that's what others do too

It beats having to reply to posts with LOL or +1

AH is what it is imo, and doesn't pretend to be otherwise

If people didn't like it they wouldn't keep posting in it
    Ah why can't I thank anyone's fecking posts here?!!!
    /rips hair out.
    But after hours was always like that or at least as long as I remember. Threads were always full of people trying to be funny. Thanks hasn't changed that.
    stovelid wrote: »
    I'm surprised that people can see the difference between smart replies designed to garner thanks, those designed to garner laughs and those designed just to wind people up/for the sake of it.

Did people never do it in AH before thanks came in?

Or are people suddenly hanging all their gripes about AH on the thanks function?

Just some of the posts I could have thanked if there was a thank button here.
    Thank you all. 0/
    Sarky wrote: »
    It's just Karma and Reputation all over again. The only reason it hasn't blown up like those two features yet (and I do stress yet) is becuse there's no "anti-thanks" to directly upset people. I'd like to see it gone altogether. Spammy +1 posts might increase, but that's what moderators have a delete button for, right?

Yes, but would you really want to go deleting those posts when they would have been avoided by having a thanks button?

I wouldn't. I have more to be doing with my time.

As for the Mods having a delete button is all very well, but what does a user do in that situation?

You would get "Why did you delete my +1 post, I was only agreeing with said poster?

The thanks button is there imo to allow posters to agree with a post whether it is funny or just that the previous poster said what they were going to say.

I say leave it, it's not causing trouble in forums is it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think thanks can actually be quite beneficial to after hours. For example:

User 1: Yore ma!
    User 2 (quoting user 1's yore ma post): Not another stupid yore ma post.

User 2 ends up getting a billion thanks and user 1 realises yore ma posts aren't as funny as he/she though they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't spend hours reading AH so if thanks were stopped then how would people like me be able to find out the better posts over the pointless ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

How about a "Hide Thanks" option on User CP?

+1 to this and to so many other posts in this thread. It amazes me the things people find to get irritated about. If it's not disable thanks in this forum, it's disable post count in the other. Seriously these e-penis things aren't that big a deal. I think on balance, more people in AH like thanks than don't like it.

FWIW blatant thanks whoring is not allowed in AH and sometimes we even strip a post of thanks just to make a point. As for the smart comments, as said above, they were always there. "Yore ma" for example and all the other stupid tired old memes were stupid, tired and old long before the thanks system came in.

Look at it this way: If the stupid/funny comments and puns weren't contributed something to AH that AH users want, then they wouldn't get many thanks and people would stop doing it. If they are getting thanks, then they're obviously providing something to the AH community that the users want. So what's the problem? Isn't that exactly what the thanks system is about?*

God damn it it's irritating not being able to thank posts in FB.

*Obvious circle-jerkery (you thank mine and I'll thank yours) excepted. If you spot any of that let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

No
    I'd like to see an end to all the thanks whoring in AH, as soon as a thread starts there's dozens of posts of people trying to be smart / witty, just to have their post thanked.
    Also is it possible to disable bad puns, seems to be rife over there now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No they are grand, I can see why it might be turned off in feedback, even if I don't agree with it, but AH, and not other forums, no.

Don't know why it is off in the cuckoos nest btw. Even postcount being off in there doesn't make sense any more, not that I'm saying turn it on, doesn't matter that much, but there are so many fora/threads that are cuckoosnestalikes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd like to see an end to all the thanks whoring in AH, as soon as a thread starts there's dozens of posts of people trying to be smart / witty, just to have their post thanked.

I miss the old pre-thanks AH.

Always so full of incisive social commentary, intelligent debate and serious issues.

No puns; no jokes.

It was the golden AH era for me until thanks ruined it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The above post is why we need thanks here. :D

H2DC, the very same stuff was happening before the thanks system - when the reward was "+1", "LOL", "LMAO", "ROFL" and/or a row of ":D".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ah you gotta love the puns! Sharpshooter's post count would be about 86 if it wasn't for the puns!

Advertisement