Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks in AH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

No
    Dudess wrote: »
    H2DC, the very same stuff was happening before the thanks system - when the reward was "+1", "LOL", "LMAO", "ROFL" and/or a row of ":D".

I know what AH was like before the thanks system was around but my point is, the thanks system hasn't improved AH and in my opinion has made the problem worse.
    Do you remember what Feedback was like WITH the thanks system?
    Some smart effective modding and no thanks system seems to have straightened it out!
    Ah you gotta love the puns!

NO I DON'T!!! AAAHhhhhHHHhhhhh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do you remember what Feedback was like WITH the thanks system?
    Some smart effective modding and no thanks system seems to have straightened it out!

Why blame the thanks on that?

I think it was far more to do with cracking down on the lol-cats and gang-ups?

The help-desk has also removed a lot of the contentious type of feedback threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

No
    stovelid wrote: »
    Why blame the thanks on that?

I think it was far more to do with cracking down on the lol-cats and gang-ups?

The help-desk has also removed a lot of the contentious type of feedback threads.

From that perspective I'd almost put the thanks on par with lol-cats.
    As soon as a new thread starts, someone pipes in with a smart-arse answer just for the sake of getting thanks, there was a spate of these type of posts in feedback (even after the lol-cat clean up and extra moderation).

Basically, as long as the thanks system is in AH, people will always jump into new threads and try to get the first smart-arsed reply, which leaves the first page of a potentially good thread a total mess. I believe the thanks system encourages this type of posting / spamming.

As soon as a new thread starts, someone pipes in with a smart-arse answer just for the sake of getting thanks, there was a spate of these type of posts in feedback (even after the lol-cat clean up and extra moderation).

Basically, as long as the thanks system is in AH, people will always jump into new threads and try to get the first smart-arsed reply, which leaves the first page of a potentially good thread a total mess. I believe the thanks system encourages this type of posting / spamming.

For what it's worth, I like the no-thanks rule in Feedback.

I still don't really see the issue in AH.

For me, smart-arse replies, puns and levity have always been the hallmark of AH. I also don't think that kind of humour kills off discussion. There's plenty of examples of discussion surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Hmmm,i kinda see why you think that,but then why doesn't it happen on every forum?
    Ah is the more laidback place on boards. Feedback used to be more relaxed too.
    Feedback got less relaxed,and thanks was still here,and it worked. Thanks only disappeared from feedback a while after the crack down.

So how does it appear to me?
    Well,if we go by the logic that thanks encourages people to be smart assed twats,then why isn't every forum on boards that has thanks on it like that?

I'll let someone else work that out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

tbh wrote: »
    please can we have thanks in the dome please? There's the odd good one.

+1

It would be very interesting to see how that'd pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

stovelid wrote: »
    I miss the old pre-thanks AH.

Always so full of incisive social commentary, intelligent debate and serious issues.

No puns; no jokes.

It was the golden AH era for me until thanks ruined it all.

Damn, No thanks button.

So, no thanks button is going to stop or reduce this? It is AH, it isn't a serious forum for discussion with strict rules like Politics. If a topic is worthy of debate, after a few pages the smart replies filter out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The real issue here, as ever, is the constant campaign of current months to cleanse AH of non-serious/'offensive' content and turn it into a politics/humanities-lite forum, albeit one with a bigger footfall and where you don't have to back up your assertions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ah why can't I thank anyone's fecking posts here?!!!
    /rips hair out.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't like Man Utd. Can we ban discussion of them from boards too?

This is the thread for suggesting things we want that other won't want, isn't it?
    Well we have banned discussion of that team from AH. I'm sure you and your fellow mods could come up with a similar rule for the forums you mod.
    Sarky wrote: »
    It's just Karma and Reputation all over again. The only reason it hasn't blown up like those two features yet (and I do stress yet) is becuse there's no "anti-thanks" to directly upset people. I'd like to see it gone altogether. Spammy +1 posts might increase, but that's what moderators have a delete button for, right?
    Right.
    And sort of wrong.

I personally do not like the thanks thingy in AH.
    It has already been stated that it just increases really ****ing retarded replies.
    I mean it has always had retarded posts, but the thanks thingy just increased that ten fold.*

Some people seem to mistake AH as boards version of /b/ or something awful. It is not. It never was and it never will be.
    It's my belief that the thanks thingy just brought more of the juvenile crap from those forum to AH. If anything, they belong in tCN. The thing about tCN is that it doesn't have thanks or post count +1, so you get the post whores and the thanks whores and the post/thanks whore all converging in AH and trying to be funny. The thing is, they rarely are.

I don't think I can state clearly enough that AH is not there for the lulz (or whatever the meme of the day is). It's a general discussion forum. It's for stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else on boards.
    Yes, there is plenty of room for lighthearted discussion, but that doesn't mean turning a thread about 500 people losing their jobs into a punfest.

On the other hand, it seems that most people want that, so what's a man to do?

*estimation. I haven't counted them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

No
    I voted yes because I believe it would cut down on silly replies. Thanks is for constructive and helpful replies, not for funny posts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I think it has a lot of bad points but alot of good too, which I think outweighs the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Pygmalion wrote: »
    If you think this measure would reduce these stupid replies then I'm fully against it.

Im fully against your ma, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bono Vox wrote: »
    I voted yes because I believe it would cut down on silly replies. Thanks is for constructive and helpful replies, not for funny posts

What's wrong with the latter? I come to boards for a good laugh as much as anything else, especially in the social forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Thanks is not a problem in after hours, its the serious business gobsheens trying to stop the lighthearted nonsense that makes after hours such a cool forum.

My advise to those who dont like Thanks/Yor Ma/ penis/gee references/ shit talk, taxi driver bashing threads is to bugger off back to the humanities or god fobid_ economics forum.

I think there should be an automatic ban for anyone who compalins about after hours :P
    On a serios note, why is there two sticking out tongue smilies?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

No
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Stark wrote: »
    What's wrong with the latter? I come to boards for a good laugh as much as anything else, especially in the social forums.
    AH is about as social as O'Connell street on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Terry wrote: »
    AH is about as social as O'Connell street on a Saturday night.

That post is a good example of why there should be thanks in Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No
    Maybe there could be a button where members can disable thanks when they're starting a new thread..?

Then people can make threads without worrying about any whoring posts

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

nuxxx wrote: »
    :pac:

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

:confused:

Green eyed monster I reckon.

No
    Every second post in a new thread has many thanks as its normally a smart arse comment.

Every second post in a new thread has many thanks as its normally a smart arse comment.

You've got a Hitler smiley face for your avatar. My username is Dr.Bollocko. People in glass houses and all that.

No
    You've got a Hitler smiley face for your avatar. My username is Dr.Bollocko. People in glass houses and all that.
    Never said it was a bad thing:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Awww If there was no thanks in AH what would all the tell tail, mod @ss lickers who thank bannings do.
    Other than that thanks is good, the smart comments is what makes AH.

Awww If there was no thanks in AH what would all the tell tail, mod @ss lickers who thank bannings do.

Keep on fighting that powah!

Keep on fighting that powah!

Ah knew you'd reply, you cant help yourself, i think you secretly love me really. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Please, for your own sakes, just stop, seriously

orestes wrote: »
    Please, for your own sakes, just stop, seriously

Bite me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Bite me.

Less of that thanks.
    B

Advertisement