Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast cancer in a bottle?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I spotted something in a local supermarket a couple of weeks ago and pointed it out to a member of staff but was back in today and nothing has changed.

Basically, the organic sunflower oil (in plastic bottle) and a "healthy oil" and a "healthy mayonaise" (both of these in glass) were both stored in a warm section of the store. Right beside a cooling vent! I pointed this out to a manager but he shrugged me off with an "thats where I'm told to put it" excuse but I could email the head office, if I want.

Now, I know oils are suppossed to be stored in cool, dark places, to prevent them going rancid but more worryingly, I have read of xenoestrogens leaching from plastic containers into fat based foods (faster in the warmth). These seem to have been linked to endometriosis and breast cancer, among other complaints.

I'm going to email them later but don't have much time to undertake a rake of research on the 'net before I do. I reckon that the folks here would have the best, most accurate and up-to date facts on this and can advise the best things to say/links to illustrate or even advise that it's not such a big deal after all.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/info.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I wouldn't worry as much about xeno-estrogens as I would about the omega 6's in the oil. Omega 6 oxidizes incredibly easily, that why in nature it's always packed with a sizeable amount of vitamin E, a potent anti-oxidant.

I saw an interesting study the other day, the study subjects were mice that were genetically engineered to be pre-disposed to skin-cancer.

The group that was fed a high linoleic acid (a type of omega 6) diet developed skin cancer when exposed to UVB.

The group that was fed a high saturated fat diet did not.

So the advice to stay out of the sun could be not as important as the advice to stay away from seed oils in general.

Study here for anyone who's interested.

Advertisement