Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'NE Hospital Will Not Meet 2015 Deadline'

Options
  • 18-08-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0818/hospital.html

Tuesday, 18 August 2009 16:18
    The Health Service Executive has confirmed that the new regional hospital for the northeast is unlikely to be built for several years.

It had been expected the new 750-bed hospital would be up and running in Navan by 2015 but that target will not now be met.

When the HSE published a report in 2006 on the provision of hospital services in the northeast, one of its core recommendations was the construction of a new regional hospital.

HSE had included the new regional hospital in its National Development Plan for 2009 to 2013.

In the meantime, many services were to be moved from smaller hospitals to the larger institutions in the area.

However, given the current economic climate it says it will not go ahead during the lifetime of this plan.

The HSE has confirmed that it is to be included in the next plan after 2013.

A spokesperson for the HSE said its current focus is to advance the controversial plan to move all acute services into Cavan General Hospital and Our lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda.

It has already moved services from Monaghan General Hospital to Cavan.

So looks like a region of 231,000+ people will have to do with 2 full A&E hospitals for the next 10 years....nice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Madflah

Navan just doesnt make sense for accessibility??? Also the HSE have a lot of land at Ardee so if or when this hospital is built i wouldnt be a bit surprised if Navan is a decoy - propose something that is unacceptable to most so the compromise will accepted (with relief). Though Ardee would only really be an acceptable compromise for Dundalk and Drogheda i suppose.
    I just wish they would desist from closing services in the region until adequate alternatives are in place. The Lourdes is on the verge of meltdown it is under so much pressure, 10 hrs i spent an A+E with a broken ankle last year after being transferred from Dundalk - they were busting themselves but just couldnt cope...at the same time A+E in the Louth only had 3 patients:mad::( It was crazy cause there was an orthopedic doctor in the Louth he just wasnt allowed treat me there, i went back to the Lourdes a week later for a check up and the Doctor i iniatially saw in Dundalk was the chap now treating me in Drogheda lol

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

The health service you refered to is financed by an administration known as the Irish Govenrment, in basic terms it is a state administration that currently runs a budget defecit that will be bankrupt within a few years, if current the economic climate and its borrowings prevail. Ther prospect of this administration building another hospital is clearly not on the agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Drogheda's not a bad hospital they do well with what they have. Only thing is when they get money they need to build offices and put people in it and pay them to decide where the money goes :mad:

Advertisement