Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living costs

Options
  • 18-08-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

hi could people give me an idea( realistic ) of living costs on a weekly basis for a first year at u c d with on campus accom . ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Depends on a lot of factors:

- are you willing to eat the cheapest crap you can buy?
    - how many nights will you go out?
    - are you willing to walk to a shop cheaper than centra
    - will you be going into the city centre often or going home at weekends?
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

My costs are 500 a month, and that includes bills, food, transport, and a healthy mind-altering substance allowance.

I live with one other person in a large apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I get by on about €50 a week. Rent is taken care of, don't smoke (snuff from time to time which is v. cheap), don't drink much on nights out and live right beside the uni

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

.........a healthy mind-altering substance allowance.
    [Bogger accent]"Jaysus,That coffee can be quare tack shurely.It'd bait the SHHHHtink from yer wellies"[/Bogger accent]

.........I can see myself fitting in just fine

OP:Some rough details of how you want/can afford to live,Would help a lot.I'll be surviving on pasta and Eggs for about 20 quid a week so scale from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

My plan is 10 euro for food, eggs and houmous. I don't eat meat, milk, or tea :) then 80 for going out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

how much is on-campus accomadation does anyone know???( a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

ul need roughly a hundred squids a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Well, excluding your month's rent your looking at 100 to 120/week, the biggest expense will be food and drink. It helps to be thrifty, so aldi, lidl do great offers on both, so start getting to like Excelsior etc... Travel will depend on distance to and from the college and number or times you get the bus/luas etc... and if you're from the country originally (i.e. going home at weekends) how much will these set you back per week on average. You should also budget for printing, photocopying etc... because these are a bit of an expense, especially if you're doing arts or law etc...
    I came across this thread in the trinity forum and I thought this post might be useful for tips on living on the cheap. Although it references trinity and places in trinity etc... there are still useful strands which can be taken from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭dream.

thanks for info , booze the biggest expense so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

dream. wrote: »
    thanks for info , booze the biggest expense so

Fairly big expense but it can be limited etc... by being thrift. Food and if you smoke, fags will always set you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Im living 5 mins from the college so im cycling. Gonna bring loadsa food from home, spend about 40 more on food up in dub. Drink will be about another 30-40 a week and then another 20-30 for whatever.

Advertisement