Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expansys UK, Irish VAT?

• 18-08-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

If I buy something from Expansys UK for shipping to Ireland, VAT is charged at the Irish rate of 21.5%. That's fine, but does the VAT charged get passed on to the Irish Revenue, or to the UK's?

Reason being, I'm thinking of buying this scooter, and, being as it's considered a brand new imported vehicle (less than 6 months old, less than 6000km's on the clock), when registering it in Ireland the Revenue want me to pay VAT to them @ 21.5%.

Thing is, if I've already paid VAT @ 21.5% to Expansys, and if this is indeed passed on to the Irish Revenue, are the Revenue correct in asking me to pay 21.5% to them?

When I called my local VRO today, the woman said that, being as it's an imported new vehicle from the UK, I certainly do have to pay them VAT @ 21.5% - but I can claim the UK VAT back. But the 21.5% VAT already paid to Expansys is not UK VAT..is it?

So confused. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Email them and ask maybe you can get them not to charge vat then pay it to the VRO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Email them and ask maybe you can get them not to charge vat then pay it to the VRO?

Thanks for your reply, but I would have thought that Expansys are obliged to charge VAT to customers who are not VAT registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

cant imagine a company leaving ya off with VAT lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

seanybiker wrote: »
    cant imagine a company leaving ya off with VAT lol.

Its quite common with car purchases so I don't see why they can't do it for the bike. Worst comes to worst, you are entitled to claim it back from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

NI and UK bike dealers do it all the time selling new bikes to costumers for export, you cant register it here without paying it. Whether or not Expanses will do this is another matter, asking cant hurt. All i know is its easer not to pay the UK vat, than it is to claim it back. :) There the only ones that can tell you if there paying Irish vat, if they are then i imagine you would just have to show proof to the VRO and if they charge 21.5% and are not paying Irish vat you will only be able to claim 17%(what every the UK rate is) back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you are paying the irish vat rate to expansys, so isnt it like they are importing it for you and paying the vat.

If you go to a car import dealer here, they bring it in and pay the vat, so it should be the same thing, you shouldnt have to pay the vat again to the revenue, as you will have the receipt with proof of the irish rate vat paid.

Advertisement