Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgently need email address for councillor

• 18-08-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭

I urgently need a direct email for Honor Dunphy of Waterford City Council. Can anyone PM please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

hdunphy@waterfordcity.ie

Generally all the emails of staff in the city council are first initial of first name followed by surname @waterfordcity.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If he is no longer a councillor, that email address may have been removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sully wrote: »
    If he is no longer a councillor, that email address may have been removed.
    Honor is a she not a he ;)

Not a councillor either, but a member of staff, can't remember what department though. She definitely still works in the Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks for your help. We are desperately trying to save a puppy from being destroyed at the pound. A rescue will take it for re-homing in germany but Ms Dunphy appears to be preventing it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We're now exporting pets because they can find homes here?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    We're now exporting pets because they can find homes here?

Some rescues only home outside Ireland especially for Greyhounds. The Czechs, & Swedes see Greyhounds as wonderful pets whilst the Germans like Collies.

Overseas rescues are aware that some 25,000 dogs are destroyed per year in Ireland which, per population, makes us one of the worse in the world. Scotland has the same dog population but they only destroyed 800 dogs last year.

Their is some hope that this pup will be saved. His crime is being half German Shepherd, a breed revered everywhere else but "restricted" in Ireland.

Many thanks to posters for the really fast response.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wow thats some amount of dogs been killed each year :(
    Good look saving him, curious why would somebody want to stop a dog traveling to another country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Wow thats some amount of dogs been killed each year :(
    Good look saving him, curious why would somebody want to stop a dog traveling to another country?
    Maybe, just guessing out loud and maybe somebody could clarify, but would their be cost involved and city council would end up footing a bill?

Hypothetically speaking, if it didn't cost anything I don't see why someone would object.

The rescues pay all the costs. Unfortunately Waterford Pound are often unwilling to allow rescues to take dogs unlike many other pounds. Much depends on the attitude of the dog wardens in each area. Some see their job as getting rid of unwanted dogs whereas the more enlightened ones focus on rehoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

hi OP,
    Sorry for asking a probably stupid question, cause I don't have a dog or never had one. But are 'rescues' voluntary funded and run by animal lovers?

If they are, have you got a website or something where I could make a donation (like a mycharity.ie page or something) to help your cause? That's the only thing I think I can do.

I don't know the ins and outs of the fully story but your quick summary of what is happening was good and since no cost is incurred I find it weird why someone would object or not allow for an animal to be saved.

Best of luck with your email.

- BFG

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer I have PM'd you some info.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer I have PM'd you some info.

Send me on info aswell, big dog lover and hate hearing about pets put down etc.

Will do & thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Don't see the sense in not letting it be re-homed at all!

This happens all the time but some Councils are more willing to focus on rehoming rather than destroying. When you compare a good Dog Warden to the wardens in many Irish towns there is a huge difference.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2038401_award_joy_after_dog_wardens_rescues

Wardens like this lady focus on education & rehoming. They still implement the law but they do it from a helpful perspective. Too many Irish Dog Wardens see their job as ridding the streets of strays. Many Councils list Dog Wardens under Waste Disposal.

There have been many cases in Waterford where dogs have been killed despite firm offers from rescues. For example, for some weird reason the German Shepherd is a "restricted breed" in Ireland - despite being the top guide dog in germany !. The wardens in Waterford will not allow rescues to rehome German Shepherds even if they are going to other countries.

This poor pup looks a bit like a GSD crossed with a collie & to the local wardens that is a death sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Discodog wrote: »
    This happens all the time but some Councils are more willing to focus on rehoming rather than destroying. When you compare a good Dog Warden to the wardens in many Irish towns there is a huge difference.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2038401_award_joy_after_dog_wardens_rescues

Wardens like this lady focus on education & rehoming. They still implement the law but they do it from a helpful perspective. Too many Irish Dog Wardens see their job as ridding the streets of strays. Many Councils list Dog Wardens under Waste Disposal.

There have been many cases in Waterford where dogs have been killed despite firm offers from rescues. For example, for some weird reason the German Shepherd is a "restricted breed" in Ireland - despite being the top guide dog in germany !. The wardens in Waterford will not allow rescues to rehome German Shepherds even if they are going to other countries.

This poor pup looks a bit like a GSD crossed with a collie & to the local wardens that is a death sentence.

Can I ask how this particular dog came to be in the local pound? Just wondering if there's a legitimate reason why the wardens don't want the dog rehomed...

I don't assume for one minute that every dog in the pound would be a safe pet. I imagine some are a danger.

That said, like everyone else here, I hate the thoughts of dogs being destroyed en masse.

Advertisement