Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to tell how old a number is?

• 18-08-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

for vodafone, im just curious, if a number is 087-7x or 087-9x that means its fairly new right? compared to if a number is like 087-22xxxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

AFAIK numbers get recycled after a certain amount of time inactive, so it wouldn't be the best indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

for vodafone, im just curious, if a number is 087-7x or 087-9x that means its fairly new right? compared to if a number is like 087-22xxxx

I wouldn't think so, my number starts off 123**** and it's only a few years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

ah ok, well one more question, is it possible to find who owns a number? like a directory/registry except for cell phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

The original numbers would have been analogue 088 numbers with Eircell

Started at 088-500***

Then these all converted to GSM/087 most kept their original number the pre-fix changing to 087..

Then they went 087-400*** then skipped to 087-600*** then Eircell realised they may run out of numbers so put a 2 in front of everyone's numbers!

So anything 087-2500 = 087-2600 etc. would be older numbers, but if a number is not used in a certain amount of time it would be recycled. So there isn't really a way to tell for sure.

To answer your question about ownership of number;

You could dial it see if it is in use.. or try the network, it could be disconnected but still within the time where the original owner still has time to re activiate it...or you could try contacting the relevant network.

If it is a "golden number"/very good catchy number you could have a hard time trying to get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ah ok, well one more question, is it possible to find who owns a number? like a directory/registry except for cell phones
    It works the other way round. There are directory enquiry services where you can ring up and ask for someones number - if they're in the directory you'll get it.

If you want to find out who owns a number then ring them. If they don't tell you then they don't want you to know so live with it.

If you're interested in seeing how old your number is you could contact your network (via their forum, email, phone) and they should be able to tell you.

• Advertisement

foxinsox wrote: »
    If it is a "golden number"/very good catchy number you could have a hard time trying to get it!
    its not that, its just someone's annoying me and i think i know who it is but problem is i dont know his name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my number starts with 08X-959XXXX

and I've had it about 9years.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    my number starts with 08X-959XXXX

and I've had it about 9years.

if its 08x it could be 086 and their numbers work differently my dad's starts with 086-85 and its 8 yrs old, mine is 086-12 and only like 4 yrs old

if its 08x it could be 086 and their numbers work differently my dad's starts with 086-85 and its 8 yrs old, mine is 086-12 and only like 4 yrs old

As far as I can remember when Esat Digifone/086 started their first range of numbers were 086-800***

I have many more useless pieces of such fascinating information in my brain!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

At one time you could just dial the number without the code if you were on a same network, so there were no numbers starting with 1 or 0, just as there are no landline numbers starting with 1 or 0. Then to expand the range of number available they required you to dial the code so that they could use the 1 and 0 ranges, so anything with a 1 or 0 is fairly new.
    As far as I can remember when Esat Digifone/086 started their first range of numbers were 086-800***

Digifone did indeed have numbers 086 80* ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

For vodafone customers if you check your simcard number (granted it wasnt a ported number) it will tell you the month and year
    so 893530108.... means it was made January 2008. The 89353 is just vodafones way to mark ROI sims. Uk is 8944..

congo_90 wrote: »
    For vodafone customers if you check your simcard number (granted it wasnt a ported number) it will tell you the month and year
    so 893530108.... means it was made January 2008. The 89353 is just vodafones way to mark ROI sims. Uk is 8944..

^^^

Interesting, I never knew that! More information to stuff in my brain :D

foxinsox wrote: »

I have many more useless pieces of such fascinating information in my brain!! :confused:

yeah my dad was on digiphone before it got switched over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

read all about it, mobile numbering back in the day
    http://www.odtr.ie/_fileupload/publications/odtr9710.pdf

Advertisement