Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus Mk 1

• 18-08-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭

I'm looking for a '98-'02 Ford Focus Hatchback. Aside from the usual, is the anything in particular I should keep an eye out for when looking at one of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

yeah mainly no abs in nearly all models, and wheels in them fords lock up very easily too on wet, watch out for that it can be very dangerous
    , pick any petrol engine and there should be no trouble provided it was maintained well, 1.6 is good allrounder, where 1.8/2.0 would be poky but thirsty enough too, if its diesel u are looking at stay away from tddi nobody wants them and i heard they could be fairly troublesome, tdci is the way to go
    i personaly had 00 1.6 ghia saloon and it never gave me a bit of trouble, but i sold it because it too had no abs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ignition coil packs are a known problem on them. Other than that they are a pretty solid car, try and find a 1.6 litre petrol though as the 1.4 litre is slugish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

as said, coil packs are the main trouble spots. Timing belt is every 5 years or 100k miles whichever is first. Make sure it goes into reverse cleanly as they can give problems there and make sure the central locking works as it should. On hatches check to the bottom of the v-shaped rear window doesn't show signs of corrosion. Other than that nothing else really springs to mind.

If you can try get a 1.6 petrol or the 1.8 tdci and not tddi. I had a 1.4 and its weak performance wise which can grate if you need to overtake or join from a slip road. Great car though really

Advertisement