Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some info for fellow first years

Options
  • 18-08-2009 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

I went up today since the mammy hadn't seen the campus.

First accomodation. They are doing the places and what not right about now in the computer system and that will place people in their villages etc. There will be an info pack that should arrive thursday with all the details of your living situations. If you don't have a place by friday you should call up the accomodation office( look at UL's site for number).

A small second most likely in relation to business students. Books. There is a new bundle for 90 euro which has 4 books and then there is an economics book for 50 yo yos that is a necessary as it contains a code for accessing some internet thing

Hope this helps people

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

thanks for that :D

so books for doing business comes to a cost of 140 euro??? dats not 3 bad is it :D:D im doin business and french so dares gonna be french books too i guess :D:D

cant wait so excited :p:cool:

anyone get a text from Ul admin today saying congrats on gettin ur course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

a deadly! thanks for th info!!! was woonderin when we would find ou what was the situation wit on campus :D:D:D

emm... mayb someone can tell me whats the craic with placement wit friends.. like i applied for dromore i think wit a friend of mine.. well when do i find out if i am actually livin with him and is there a gud chance i will be?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

a deadly! thanks for th info!!! was woonderin when we would find ou what was the situation wit on campus :D:D:D

emm... mayb someone can tell me whats the craic with placement wit friends.. like i applied for dromore i think wit a friend of mine.. well when do i find out if i am actually livin with him and is there a gud chance i will be?:confused:

They not great about the sharing thing to be honest, some people can be really lucky and then others not so much, but if your up early on the 30th and have a look at the list of people living with you in the apartment , yes you can look at the full list , and your friend is not on it well providing the other five house mates have not already moved in, you can ask Michael (DONT, I REPEAT DONT, ASK JANE) to get you and your friend in the one apartment, and it should work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Backseat modding, sorry...

Don't use txt spk. You have a keyboard in front of you, you might as well use the whole thing. Just to get you into good habits before September. :p You would be surprised how many projects get submitted to tutors with txt spk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

One other thing, there is a library. A big, vast library. You don't need to buy books. I know I bought books in first year (I think everyone does) that I barely used, but wised up in following years. Even "core texts" (which the lecturers will harp on about...sometimes ones that they've written themselves, no bias there, huh) aren't essential purchases. The library usually has umpteen copies of the main texts for every module as well as stacks of previous editions which suffice perfectly well in the main (unless there's a particular element that's been updated in a newer edition) and the short loans area (a place where books are only on 3 hour/1 day loans, usually) generally has at least one copy of the most popular text for modules as well. Once you've picked whatever topics you're going to cover for an exam, photocopy the hell out of the library books... €16 on photocopying cards (200 pages iirc) is a lot cheaper than €60. ;)

But if you want to look intellectual and have something other than a piece of paper with your name and degree on it after four years, by all means start your own (expensive) book collection. Try the Students' Union second hand bookshop first of all and then Amazon or eBay or elsewhere online for cheaper prices or good deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There is also a blog from Student Affairs that will keep you up to date on happenings for orientation

http://ulorientation.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

hey just wondering what the best way to get these is. preferably i would like to get them as cheap as possible :D Student Union seems to be the best way im not sure tho. anyone got any other suggestions???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Hello fellow ULers :) Just wondering if anyone could answer my quesion, my orientation is on thursday and friday, i presume we stay in our new place on campus? And head down wednesday like? Are we allowed stay? And also anyone doing arts? :)

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    Hello fellow ULers :) Just wondering if anyone could answer my quesion, my orientation is on thursday and friday, i presume we stay in our new place on campus? And head down wednesday like? Are we allowed stay? And also anyone doing arts? :)

You can move into your new place on campus from the 30th! (The Sunday of orientation week)

I'm an second year arts student - have fun!! :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

You can move into your new place on campus from the 30th! (The Sunday of orientation week)

Do you have to go up for check-in on the Sunday or can you wait until the night before orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

you can check in any day you want. Just check that the village reception will be open if you plan to be arriving outside of office hours.

Ah brill thats handy :) saves alot of travelling and what not! Gonna check in nice and early and pick a nice room haha ;) cannot wait now, even though im all on my own so ill be a billy no mates but feck it. Dya do english and history? Def picking these cos i wanna teach them, hope its good!

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    Ah brill thats handy :) saves alot of travelling and what not! Gonna check in nice and early and pick a nice room haha ;) cannot wait now, even though im all on my own so ill be a billy no mates but feck it. Dya do english and history? Def picking these cos i wanna teach them, hope its good!

You dont get to pick your own room in on campus places!! The manager has them set before hand and they all kinda the same anyways!

Im and second English and History Student! Joint Honours degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I've been away on holidays and arrived home today to find the orientation pack. However, it mentions nothing about my place in the on campus accommodation. When I sent "confirm" back I got a message saying that "we have registered your response". In a previous letter, they said a pro-forma invoice would be sent out in due course.

Has anyone received info about their place yet? Should I be worried, yet?

You dont get to pick your own room in on campus places!! The manager has them set before hand and they all kinda the same anyways!

Im and second English and History Student! Joint Honours degree!

Ah its all good so, no difference. Im so excited now, get to see the campus tomorrow, never been anywhere near limerick before! Yeah I'm doing joint honours too, def doing english and history, and whatever else i fancy ;) Thanks for the info :D

Advertisement