Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Nevore wrote: »
    Well, ticket sales for Avatar are between 2 and 3 times the cost of Titanic. It was about $5 for Titanic, it's $8, $12 and $16 for 2d, 3d and IMAX Avatar.
    Not sure it'll beat Titanic on ticket sales, purely because there's going to be another division of Fox looking to get it out on DVD sale.

On the flipside, Avatar has been highly, highly pirated which conceivably has an impact on ticket sales. It was the fastest online pirated film of the year and Chinese street vendors have been flogging bootleg copies for weeks.

most successfull movie of all time based on tickets sold is gone with the wind , when inflation is taken into account , rhett and scarlet took 1.4 billion dollars in the usa alone , almost three times what titanic grossed :eek:

the sound of music comes in a distant second followed by snow white and the seven dwarfs ( 1937) , star wars is in the top 5 titanic is number 6 or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I saw the trailer a few weeks ago and it didn't strike me as appealing. I'm not a major sci-fi fan. After hearing the hype from friends I went to the 3d version. I have never been to a 3d film before and even at the Alice in Wonderland trailer I was mesmerised!

CGI is something I really don't understand but I recognise the flawless attention to detail by the makers in creating an alternae universe. The plants, animals and na'vi are stunningly created and very believable. The acting was powerful at times esp by the female lead?

I was often gasping with anticipaion and didn't know what part of the screen to focus on in case I missed some detail. The audience was heavily involved and it almost feels at times that the things are falling on you and you are there in the thick of the action. You are left imaging Pandora and almost hoping to live there. There are some very political and social messages in the film.

The script I will admit was a little lacking but that's easily forgiven in a film of its quality. The LOTR trilogy will still be my favourite in terms of story and characters but I recgonise avatar as one of the top cinematic experiences I have ever had.

It leaves me very excited about the prospect of cinema in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Am a sci-fi fan and am looking forward to seeing this movie.

But then again the plot is simple stuff for kids .... lets all fight for the planet/enviroment and that. I never saw Titanic and I never will ... stupid movie for stupid people.
    The 3D thing is interesting though. Will it be a crowd puller and will the sheep pay 30% more to watch with glasses on or is it a fad ?
    Theres lots of technology in 3D TV stuff in the works so maybe its the future, who knows ? Althought its not real 3D, just some effect with red and green light on the eye.
    Having said that I will buy ths movie when it is 15 euro and watch it and probably enjoy it. Best movie of the year ? No.

irish_bob wrote: »
    most successfull movie of all time based on tickets sold is gone with the wind , when inflation is taken into account , rhett and scarlet took 1.4 billion dollars in the usa alone , almost three times what titanic grossed :eek:

the sound of music comes in a distant second followed by snow white and the seven dwarfs ( 1937) , star wars is in the top 5 titanic is number 6 or something

Remember though that back then films had a much longer cinema life with many of the more successful films playing for month after month. These days your lucky if a film gets more than a few weeks release.
    Am a sci-fi fan and am looking forward to seeing this movie.

But then again the plot is simple stuff for kids .... lets all fight for the planet/enviroment and that. I never saw Titanic and I never will ... stupid movie for stupid people.
    The 3D thing is interesting though. Will it be a crowd puller and will the sheep pay 30% more to watch with glasses on or is it a fad ?
    Theres lots of technology in 3D TV stuff in the works so maybe its the future, who knows ? Althought its not real 3D, just some effect with red and green light on the eye.
    Having said that I will buy ths movie when it is 15 euro and watch it and probably enjoy it. Best movie of the year ? No.

Your entire post is ill informed. The 3D TV is nothing to do with the red and green of old, it's proper 3D which works just like it does in the cinema. I've seen a lot of 3D stuff at home and have thus far been very impressed, Avatar the game looks absolutely stunning when played on it.

I love how people who have yet to see the film are constantly going on about the story being poor and the film not being one of the years best, you cannot make that statement untill you have seen the film.

I never said it was a bad film, I will buy it when it comes out, and will enjoy it.

As for 3D movies, true 3D means you can watch it from behind and thats not the case in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I never saw Titanic and I never will ... stupid movie for stupid people.

Erm...how do you know this for sure, if you haven't seen it?

I mean that would be a pretty damning judgement from someone who had seen the film, let alone someone who hasn't, and labelling it as "for stupid people."... Really?

Not a huge fan of Titanic (might be coloured by my annoyance at how it took all the awards from LA Confidential) but it's a pretty solid film for what it is.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Erm...how do you know this for sure, if you haven't seen it?

I mean that would be a pretty damning judgement from someone who had seen the film, let alone someone who hasn't, and labelling it as "for stupid people."... Really?

Not a huge fan of Titanic (might be coloured by my annoyance at how it took all the awards from LA Confidential) but it's a pretty solid film for what it is.

I have never seen "Sex and the ****y" and I know its poor. End of.

That's the kind of bullshit logic that results in people missing out on some great films. No one should judge a film till they at least give it a chance to do so otherwise makes you out to be a pompous ass.

I actually watched Sex and the City with my girl friend awhile back and it was far from the worst film ever made. While not my cup of tea I could at least recognise that it was far from the travesty I initially thought it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

That's the kind of bullshit logic that results in people missing out on some great films. No one should judge a film till they at least give it a chance to do so otherwise makes you out to be a pompous ass.

I actually watched Sex and the City with my girl friend awhile back and it was far from the worst film ever made. While not my cup of tea I could at least recognise that it was far from the travesty I initially thought it would be.

I understand both sides but there are exceptions - I don't need to see Superhero/Date Movie because I've seen the trailer and that was enough

I understand both sides but there are exceptions - I don't need to see Superhero/Date Movie because I've seen the trailer and that was enough

Still though, they're the latest in a long running franchise that didn't start off very highly and got worse with every film, so you've probably a good idea of the type of movie it is.

Plus, fair enough if you know it's not going to be the type of film you like, or even if you've seen a film and consider it stupid.

But saying a film is "stupid" and "for stupid people" without having seen it is, to me, fairly ridiculous. Especially Titanic, which, for all it's flaws, is hardly "stupid", is it?

• Advertisement

I've seen Titanic and know it's actually pretty decent. End of.

(See how we could go round in circles all day....?)

actually watched Sex and the City with my girl friend a while back and it was far from the worst film ever made.

Bet she made you watch it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Damn straight.

Same as Lord of the Rings, stupid movie for stupid people.
    And Star Wars, stupid movie for stupid people.

Never seen them mind, but Im certain that all 4 movies in each case are entirely ridiculous made for imbeciles.

And do not get me started on The Godfather; stupidist stupid film Ive never seen.

Bet she made you watch it. :pac:

No, she asked me one night if I wanted to watch it and I said fine. I could have left the room at any time or turned it off and put on a film I would have enjoyed more.

The fact remains that you cannot say a film is crap unless you watch it.

The fact remains that you cannot say a film is crap unless you watch it.

Not true in the case of the Titanic and Sex and the City as they are both intellectually weak, but I think this argument has made me appear an oaf. I will watch Avatar and I know I will enjoy it. Because I love sci-fi and am a soft spot for movies like "Wall-E".
    The 3D argument was more important as this movie cost so much to make and had charged the sheep extra at the box office to watch it. It's not real 3D.

Not true in the case of the Titanic and Sex and the City as they are both intellectually weak, but I think this argument has made me appear an oaf. I will watch Avatar and I know I will enjoy it. Because I love sci-fi and am a soft spot for movies like "Wall-E".

Sci-fi movies are all intellectually weak. Precisley for that reason, I have never seen a single one.

Not true in the case of the Titanic and Sex and the City as they are both intellectually weak,

So that means that any low brow film can easily be categorised as crap simply because it lacks a certain intellectual level. It's this way of thinking which serious hampers the hopes of many films, people instantly turn their nose up at a films such as Crank and Shoot Em-Up simply because iboth are unashamedly 90 minutes of OTT violence and fun.

Good luck lads.

Enjoy what you watch, each to their own, I am not a film snob. One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thats a stupid statement and your logic doesn't stand up at all. I'm not going to argue with it either, because its stupid logic for stupid people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Goldman82

Loved the film. It should take the Oscars. The 3 hours went by like 45 minutes. I enjoyed it very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

drkpower wrote: »
    Sci-fi movies are all intellectually weak. Precisley for that reason, I have never seen a single one.

how can you comment on something you have not seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

such a sweeping, obnoxious statement is obviously troll bait. just ignore him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

im nearly 4 years on boards and this is my first post in the arts>movies..

im generally not a fan of sci fi.. ala lord of the rings, star trek etc..

i did like transformers..

Avatar .. i only went because i heard it was great but also because of james cameron..

i wouldnt watch 3D, my last expierence was Nightmare on elm streed 3D back in the early 90's

So i went in bought the ticket and i nearly refused the glasses...

I missed the first 10mins of the movie

I was a huge fan of movies, used to go nearly 3 times a week + videos but the last couple years have become tired of the same ol same ol..

This movie from the first min i watched blew me away, it was AWESOME and for me has brought back the magic of Cinema.. absolute magic

Take kudos from snyper James Cameron :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you missed the first 10 mins then you have to go back and see it again snyper.

It won't win an oscar for dialogue. But the visual was a feast for the eyes and the planet a wonder to behold.
    Loved it!

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you missed the first 10 mins then you have to go back and see it again snyper.

It won't win an oscar for dialogue. But the visual was a feast for the eyes and the planet a wonder to behold.
    Loved it!

Apparently im going again tonight, this time with herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

cnn.com did a "25 movies to watch in 2010" and said avatar 2 for 2010...... Think they're a liiiiiiiiitle bit optimistic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Saw it twice...simply amazing

Anakin.S wrote: »
    how can you comment on something you have not seen?
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    such a sweeping, obnoxious statement is obviously troll bait. just ignore him!

Settle, boys.

I was satirising FuelInjections point; scroll back a bit rather than knee-jerk reacting....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Good info! I'm surprised that films that old are in the top 5. I mean, I didn't think cinema going was that big a deal, or if it was, that it just wasn't an affordable big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Nevore wrote: »
    Good info! I'm surprised that films that old are in the top 5. I mean, I didn't think cinema going was that big a deal, or if it was, that it just wasn't an affordable big deal.

Seriously? outside radio it was the only option, that's where a lot of folk even used to get the news! Cinema was the major past time.

• Advertisement

hick wrote: »
    Seriously? outside radio it was the only option, that's where a lot of folk even used to get the news! Cinema was the major past time.
    Shows what I know! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

drkpower wrote: »
    Settle, boys.

I was satirising FuelInjections point; scroll back a bit rather than knee-jerk reacting....:)

I'm glad!! It's hard to gauge context without smilies! The whole fiasco could've been averted with an emoticon :pac:

Exactly the point i was going to make. While we cant underestamte how popular that ****e was (gone with the wind) back in those days cinema was a much bigger deal as downloading and hoarding vast quantities or pr0n wasnt an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Have to say, first 3D movie I have seen was mightly impressed, I think the planet Pandora was the real star of the film. It was stunning especially with the 3D effects thrown in however I can't but feel somehow let down by the super weak clinche'd story. So many comparisons with the world today, it's been discussed at ends in this and other threads and won't bother going over it.
    I was left wondering if they watered it down too much for the kids to get the crowds in, it was a major niggle for me but overall the experience was very positive though.
    Would I go back for a second time, no, was it worth going the first time...Yes. A strong 3.75/5 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

snyper wrote: »
    Exactly the point i was going to make. While we cant underestamte how popular that ****e was (gone with the wind) back in those days cinema was a much bigger deal as downloading and hoarding vast quantities or pr0n wasnt an option.

gone with the wind was the biggest event movie of all time , that thier were less films released back then didnt hurt either in terms of gross

that thier were less films released back then didnt hurt either in terms of gross

..a good point i overlooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

there was 1,518 films released in 1939 with Gone with the wind
    so it's not like there was no competition then either actually!

in 1997 when Titanic was released there were 3,438 flicks released, so in just shy of 60 years not much over double, and I guarantee that a lot more of those released in 1997 went straight to video where as in 1939 they obviously didn't have the luxuary of doing that and producing as much...well, crap :D
    so you can't say there's that much difference in competition really after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Big meh from me.

The whole 3D thing was decent in parts, hardly made it the best thing I've ever seen.

I've spent two weeks wondering do I or do I not like this film, and I've come to say I don't like it. I didn't like the way it was essentially a modern take on the "native american troubles" etc.

It gave me a big meh experience, went in expecting my face to melt with aww, I'm a big James Cameron fan, and there was so much hype.

Me and the misses left with a very underwhelming feeling.

Wont be rushing anytime soon to see this again. It was worth a watch once, but I dont feel the need to watch it again ever : / which is a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

TheDoc wrote: »
    I didn't like the way it was essentially a modern take on the "native american troubles" etc.

Why? Because if Earth did discover a planet of technologically inferior alien inhabitants that had a desirable resource(s) we wouldn't take it by whatever means and probably wipe out the natives?

Eh, yeah, ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

972_avatar1b.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

One thing I couldn't figure. Who does the Navi's teeth for them? Not a chipped tooth in site ! :D

Interesting article on io9.com here.
    Basically they released the full script and the article goes through all the deleted one picking out tidbits.
    Interesting enough, especially some of the stuff that would have dealt with Earth as it was at the time of the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Just back from watching this enjoyed it a lot, it's a great spectacle, the story was ok nothing new.

Haven't read this thread but the ending was aliens turned around - human fights alien in suit only this time human baddy alien goodie.

I thought the bit where the baddie in the suit pulled a knife was hilarious
    Using native americans to voice the aliens was a bit naff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Fir crying out loud Moosejam learn to use the spoiler tags. Mods could ye edit that last post please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fir crying out loud Moosejam learn to use the spoiler tags. Mods could ye edit that last post please ?
    why did he not format it right. Seems okay to me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

MooseJam wrote: »
    Using native americans to voice the aliens was a bit naff
    I think only one or two were Native Americans. Zoe Saldana certainly isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Otacon wrote: »
    I think only one or two were Native Americans. Zoe Saldana certainly isn't.
    Nor was CCH Pounder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

What is with the 3D headache after it?
    I got a hewer behind the eyes!
    slan
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What is with the 3D headache after it?
    I got a hewer behind the eyes!
    slan
    j
    Did anyone else think that the plot was a bit poor. Along very predictable lines. Is it best oscar material?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

there was 1,518 films released in 1939 with Gone with the wind
    so it's not like there was no competition then either actually!

in 1997 when Titanic was released there were 3,438 flicks released, so in just shy of 60 years not much over double, and I guarantee that a lot more of those released in 1997 went straight to video where as in 1939 they obviously didn't have the luxuary of doing that and producing as much...well, crap :D
    so you can't say there's that much difference in competition really after all!

Gone with the Wind was on limited release for two years before it's general release and re-released in 1947, 1954, 1961, 1967, 1971, 1989 and 1998 - all of these re-releases are added into its box office figure In its original release there was no such thing as movie home entertainment - DVD, video, streaming videos or movie piracy of any kind obv. Also it didn't need to worry about the same competitiveness for theatre screens that we see today, where movies could stay in theatres for years because there was nowhere for them to go afterwards aside from re-release. It is still a incredible box office performance and you can never take that away from it, but there is zero comparison to any box office runs of the modern age, there is much of a difference in consumer habits and infrastructure of the entire business. Avatar is doing an incredible job and will take down the Titanic in 6 weeks I reckon - and yet it was still the fastest pirated movie of all time (980,000 in its first week)

Advertisement