Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK, as the saying goes: Opinions are like a**holes: Everyone has one. Here's my (overvalued) 2 cents worth.

I saw the trailer as we all did, and was underwhelmed. Top notch CGI but still not Gollum. Gollum, for me, is the benchmark. From his very first scene, after I picked my jaw off the crusty cinema floor, I never thought of him as an effect. He was just a character like all the others. Surely THAT's the ultimate test of an effect.

Anyway, underwhelmed by the trailer. Copied it onto my media player so I could watch it again in HD on my tele. Looked better but still not perfect. I went to the 15 min preview. Now, it is MUCH improved when viewing in 3D. Much improved (
    Sigourney Weaver's Avatar looks cool. Strange seeing her face on her avatar
    ). However it's still not 100% in my book. About 93% :)

Now, everyone's been going on about the charactes themselves. The world itself looked AMAZING. I was really impressed with the scenery etc and the non-avatar effect themselves looked excellent. Still think there's going to be a bit of tweaking on some of them though. (That bit where Sam Worthington wheels off the dropship in the trailer was a bit weak).

It's not Ferngully or Final Fantasy XXIVVIIXX but it's also not Gollum.

I'm going to go see this film anyway 'cos.... 'cos it's James Freakin' Cameron!!! I wasn't a fan of Titanic but c'mon folks. Terminator, T2, Aliens,The Abyss, True Lies.... Pirhana 2!!!! For all his spectacle, he makes great, interesting movies.

It's just a pity that all the buzz is about the effects and not the fact that James Freakin' Cameron is making another huge Sci-Fi film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

"Gollum" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It's just a pity that all the buzz is about the effects and not the fact that James Freakin' Cameron is making another huge Sci-Fi film.

To be honest, it's hard for the buzz not to be about the technical aspects of the film, especially considering that it appears to be the pinnacle of CGI and was also filmed in 3D. The one thing I haven't read about Avatar is the plot and how the world and technology fits into the movie's story; I think I've been subconsciously avoiding this, so as not to spoil the film for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Dose the 3d element really make a difference?
    Surly it can’t make or break a movie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, the 3D looks fantastic going by the 15 minute preview. There were no singular "OH MY GOD ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!11!" moments - just an overall effect which sucked you right into what was going on onscreen. Really couldn't look away.

I'd certainly hope that there's more to the film than just effects and 3D... but could only be sure of that after seeing it, which no one has yet.

It definitely adds to the experience, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Goodshape wrote: »
    Well, the 3D looks fantastic going by the 15 minute preview. There were no singular "OH MY GOD ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!11!" moments - just an overall effect which sucked you right into what was going on onscreen. Really couldn't look away.

James Cameron mentioned in a recent interview that he wanted the 3D aspect to create a sense of immersion in the movie, as opposed to the same old "OH MY GOD ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!11!" moments, that you mentioned. I believe this is the key to the future of 3D movies, as there's only so many jump out of your skin moments you can stand before you think to yourself, "ok, enough already".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well it just seemed to make the characters more convincing compared to the trailer. Having said that, I still think 3D is really more of a gimmick alright. My main concern regarding Avatar is about how it will look when it eventually comes out on DVD/Blu Ray. I know TV manufacturers are harping on about bringing out 3d TVs in the next couple of years but, let's be realistic here, it's never going to take off at home. Who wants to sit around watching coronation street in 3D with a pair of dorky 3D glasses. Maybe it was just the sheer screen size that made it a bit more convincing (I haven't seen the 2D trailer in the cinema yet) but, if 3D is a factor in making it look more convincing it's going to be a bit of a let down visually when released at home.

Having said that, as in my previous post: It's James Freakin' Cameron doing big Sci-Fi!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

The new Avatar trailer (won't be released online until next week) has been leaked (not great quality):

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/new-avatar-trailer-is-here?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news

Loving the shameless bragging of Cameron's filmography. Great trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Looks more promising going by the second trailer. I wasn't convinced after the first but i'm getting a little excited now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll wait for the HD version before i watch it i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Meh....the CGI is not ground breaking, maybe in 3D mode it looks different?, not convinced by the story or effects.

Meh....the CGI is not ground breaking, maybe in 3D mode it looks different?, not convinced by the story or effects.

I can confirm that it looks incredible on the big screen in digital 3D. I can also tell you without a doubt it is the most impressive CGI I have ever seen and the the motion capture is impeccable. It's like you're watching the actors in impossible make-up. Obviously, it's hard to tell from the phone/pirate video quality though. I don't know much about the plot other than the basic premise that's shown in the trailer but I do think people are judging this film and its trailer by abnormally high standards. I mean, if that doesn't look like a rip-roaring action/adventure blockbuster, I don't know what does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Woah :eek:

Even though the quality sucked you can see this is a MUCH better trailer.

Certainly a step up from the Beowulf / Polar Express tech.

Now we wait to see if our eyeballs will get fooked (geddit? :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Duggy747 wrote: »

Now we wait to see if our eyeballs will get fooked (geddit? :pac:)

Why yes, yes I did :D

Just merged a few Avatar threads together to make a superthread so we can find older info easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fantastic trailer and really glad they mentioned Cameron was the director of "The Terminator / Aliens / Terminator 2 / True Lies / Titanic" and gave him his dues. Great score too, was that Horner's for the film or a piece that's been used before? A few parts that really stood out for me:

1. Love Worthington's delivery of "out-standing!"
    2. The shot of Worthington and Saldana swimming after Lang asks if the marine hasn't "got lost in the woods"
    3. The bluey weirdness of the Na'vi is kept to a minimum as they are shown in brief parts and their reveal is built up much better than in the teaser

Question is, how long until this trailer is in Irish cinemas? My friends haven't heard of this film at all and I often see teasers in Irish cinemas at the same time our U.S friends are getting full trailers. The teaser won't sell the film, but this will

• Advertisement

Fantastic trailer and really glad they mentioned Cameron was the director of "The Terminator / Aliens / Terminator 2 / True Lies / Titanic" and gave him his dues. Great score too, was that Horner's for the film or a piece that's been used before? A few parts that really stood out for me:

2. The shot of Worthington and Saldana swimming after Lang asks if the marine hasn't "got lost in the woods"
    3. The bluey weirdness of the Na'vi is kept to a minimum as they are shown in brief parts and their reveal is built up much better than in the teaser

Question is, how long until this trailer is in Irish cinemas? My friends haven't heard of this film at all and I often see teasers in Irish cinemas at the same time our U.S friends are getting full trailers. The teaser won't sell the film, but this will

The trailer is international. It's definitely in the cinemas now. I don't know which cinemas/movies are showing it though...anyone work in a cinema here?

What is with that word lately? Ever since me and the housemate watched A PERFECT GETAWAY about a week ago (Timothy Olyphant always says it in the movie) we've been hearing everywhere since!!

Had to laugh when Sam said it in the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cant wait for this, that trailer is a lot more epic than the first one, and just seeing Cameron's list of movies shown on a trailer again is enough to get me excited, welcome back Jim, its been a looong 12 years

High quality brand spankin' new trailer right here folks (Thai subtitles I'm afraid):

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/67549361/file.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That trailer was class.

Shows too much of the actual plot but **** me that was a great trailer, just seeing the words "from the director of Terminator, Aliens, T2, True Lies and Titanic" on screen was enough to reduce me to a dribbling fanboy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Just booked my tickets for Avatar for the 18th of December at the BFI IMAX in London. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Much better 2nd trailer. Its still the same hackneyed plot we assumed it would be it has been fleshed out at least. Still sceptical though as the alien stuff looks pretty hokey. And god damn it that Rodriguez girl is in it, I wonder if she'll be playing another "spunky" type?

Originally Posted by speedboatchase viewpost.gif
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    What is with that word lately? Ever since me and the housemate watched A PERFECT GETAWAY about a week ago (Timothy Olyphant always says it in the movie) we've been hearing everywhere since!!

Had to laugh when Sam said it in the trailer.

For the definitive delivery of the word see Gary Busey in Under Siege

And god damn it that Rodriguez girl is in it, I wonder if she'll be playing another "spunky" type?

I hate her too, all she ever plays is the feisty mexican chick, she looks like a poor mans Vasquez from Aliens in this

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

This is starting to look epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Se7en

I dunno, I'm not convinced.

I saw some clips at the Comic Con in San Diego with the 3-D and while it looks quite nice, I dont know how mind-blowing its gonna be.

Plus the story is essentially Pocahontas in space, which I'm not hugely interested in seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

krudler wrote: »
    I hate her too, all she ever plays is the feisty mexican chick, she looks like a poor mans Vasquez from Aliens in this

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Of course Cameron always has a feisty female lead but Rodreguez is no Weaver, Hamilton, Curtis, Winslit, hell she is no Mastrantonio.

Is Weaver the only Cameron returning actor? I'm sure he could have found a part for Paxton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I have been known to go over to the IMAX in London for 'showcase' movies but am wondering will my local cinema that has digital projection & 3D capability suffice -given these recessionary times!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

A friend of mine was shown footage from Avatar by Cameron in LA last week.

I'm extremely jealous.

• Advertisement

Is Weaver the only Cameron returning actor? I'm sure he could have found a part for Paxton!

Michael Biehn apparantley auditioned for parts but Cameron didn't take him on cuz he didn't want people to think of this as another Aliens.

That guy should've had a bigger career but he didn't want to go down that path, so instead he just starred in a lot of ropey movies.

Boo! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Second trailer now up on traileraddict in HD:
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avatar/trailer-b

*drools*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Second trailer now up on traileraddict in HD:
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avatar/trailer-b

*drools*

Looks much better than the first trailer. Pity they gave away the entire plot though. I hope that's just the first 20 mins of it :)

To be honest I think I'm gonna be disappointed with the story.

I smell simple people versus evil corporation undertones. Plus I never warmed to the idea of a human falling in love with an alien storyline in films, I find it naff.

In Shatner's case though, it's okay to shag green women. ;)

Plenty of jaw-dropping moments and guns will keep me happy which I have full confidence in Cameron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

anybody else see the trailer looks brill

wonder whats it about:confused::confused::confused::confused:

would it be suitable for kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

its been in the worx for a very long time so i hope i havent over hyped this for myself. Didnt work start 12 years ago?

Still should be a very good film - one of those you must see in the cinema alright

I'm sure some people still wont be able to see past the fact that its animated. I personally cant wait though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Going over to london in December to watch it on imax, thats how excited i am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

nix wrote: »
    Going over to london in December to watch it on imax, thats how excited i am :D

Me too. December 18th, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Caught the extended 3D trailer before Christmas Carol, was blown away! Tell me, is the iMax experience much better than the standard 3D? Whats the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The first trailer didn't interest me at all - second trailer was a lot better put together and gave a better sense of what the movie could be about.

Will def go see it, but not going to be camping out to get tickets.

Caught the extended 3D trailer before Christmas Carol, was blown away! Tell me, is the iMax experience much better than the standard 3D? Whats the difference?

I have no idea, havent ever been to a 3D showing but i hear imax screens really push the 3d to the limits :)

It started off with just me and a mate going over, now theres about 15 of us :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's just a movie.

It might be good, it might be bad. So far it's not making me cream myself.

It's just a movie.
    While it is just a movie, its also not just a movie....if you get me :P

This is probably the first real test of whether or not 3d cinema can work. Yes we've had 3d for animation films for a while now, but as a blockbuster, its a very big test. Considering how anticipated and expensive it has been, it could either show that 3d is a viable method for non-animation films, or it could seriously damage its future potential.

anybody else see the trailer looks brill

wonder whats it about:confused::confused::confused::confused:

would it be suitable for kids

It pretty much gives away the plot in the trailer tbh,
    Alien planet rich in rare mineral, humans want to farm it but a village is on top of the place they want to mine, they send a marine in to infiltrate the locals in a genetically engineered remote controlled body known as an Avatar, he learns they're not as savage as they're thought to be, falls in love with one, realises the army is bad m'kay and joins the natives to fight off the invading military, cue lots of big explosions and cool weapons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Maybe I'm nuts but I can't see what James Cameron has spent so much money on. Maybe my cinema is just ****. :pac:

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm nuts but I can't see what James Cameron has spent so much money on. Maybe my cinema is just ****. :pac:

Or hasn't shown the Avatar trailer :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Watching films in this new 3d is great. Although it really strains my eyes, am I the only one? I also hate having to put the 3d glasses over my already very thick glasses :(

They really need to make a solution for people already with glasses.

I'm still really excited for the move tho :) Its about James Cameron made another movie, its been too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

they abonded the non glases approcach to 3D so it will be glases for some time. The non glases approcach was too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

HI ALL WOULD YOU THINK IT WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR AN 8 YEAR OLD AND 12 YEAR OLD THANKS BRIAN

• Advertisement
Advertisement