Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Finally saw it and will watch it again. Visually very appealing, almost every frame was a pleasure to look at. The computer effects version of cinematography (virtual cinematography ? ) was outstanding. The plot was so-so
    . Typical 'big bad heartless corporations vs little simple ethnic nature people' type stuff. The ending is telegraphed a mile away too.
    . Screw the plot though it's fantastic visually and while that is normally not enough alone to make a movie good in this case it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Now the most successful movie in history!...has passed Titanic at the box office, and it's early days!

If it wins best film it will get more buzz, DVD + Blu-Ray sales....2 billion + i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Can I ask why people have such hope that this movie does well at the box office? I've never really understood why it matters to people so much. And its more then just an interest, you can tell from the tone of a lot of the posts that people are willing it to do well. I doubt any of the people here value the popularity or financial success of there favourite films/music/television most of the time but it seems to be different with Avatar. Why?

Its not a case that if it does well you'll see more movies like it. What you'll see are boardroom driven superficial copy-cats. Titanic's success led to Pearl Harbour.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Can I ask why people have such hope that this movie does well at the box office? I've never really understood why it matters to people so much. And its more then just an interest, you can tell from the tone of a lot of the posts that people are willing it to do well. I doubt any of the people here value the popularity or financial success of there favourite films/music/television most of the time but it seems to be different with Avatar. Why?

Its not a case that if it does well you'll see more movies like it. What you'll see are boardroom driven superficial copy-cats. Titanic's success led to Pearl Harbour.....

I suppose it's to do with the prestige of the accolade. I don't think anyone is chanting for him like at a football match or going to lose sleep over this but having said that personally I'd rather cameron get it for avatar than michael bay for whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

went to see Avatar today, I heard so much about it that I said I would see it. Well it was worth it. 3D was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I think this film will probably ruin the film industry as we know it.

People will be pumping money into making 3D movies, when those films don't even need to be.

I honestly didn't think that much of Avatar, it has nice visuals and that, but it has very little character development and story for a 3 hour movie.
    I need my films to have interesting characters and exciting dialogue, like Pulp Fiction, or Alien or Goodfellas.

Beyond visuals Avatar offers very little, doesn't look half as good in 2D either.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I think this film will probably ruin the film industry as we know it.

People will be pumping money into making 3D movies, when those films don't even need to be.

I honestly didn't think that much of Avatar, it has nice visuals and that, but it has very little character development and story for a 3 hour movie.
    I need my films to have interesting characters and exciting dialogue, like Pulp Fiction, or Alien or Goodfellas.

Beyond visuals Avatar offers very little, doesn't look half as good in 2D either.

I disagree at the end of the day like it or not avatar has been the most sucessful movie so far. Prople are going in there thousands to see it in the cinema in3d. It has not fallen to the pirate copies because how to you copy 3d movie? I think it will save the movie industry and drive people back to the cinema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

alex73 wrote: »
    I think it will save the movie industry and drive people back to the cinema

Exactly, and i know this is what the film industry is thinking too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I finally got dragged to see this today. And it was everything I thought it would be. Namely: underwhelming.

However it is definitely worth seeing just for the sheer visual bluster of it all. But that's all it is - bluster. It is far from a visual masterpiece. A great theatrical experience, sure, but there's nothing greatly cinematic in the true sense about it. There's not a single image or sequence from it that I reckon I will recall 10 years from now. Horner's score was also very uninspired.

There's a lot about Cameron as director that I admire. I still think T2 is one of the greatest action films ever made. But all his failings as a filmmaker are on full display here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

There's a lot about Cameron as director that I admire. I still think T2 is one of the greatest action films ever made. But all his failings as a filmmaker are on full display here.

I have honestly never got why T2 is rated so highly, I agree it's a great movie but I would take the original Terminator film over it any day. It might not be as polished but I think it's the better of teh 2 movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Went to see it today.:D
    Visually amazing; yes. Story/script/plot....mediocre. It has a lot in common with ye olde Jurassic Park in that respect. Memorable only for the ground-breaking effects & thats about it.
    Dont get me wrong it really was a treat to watch & i thoroughly enjoyed it. Made me a kid again with the astonishing 3D visuals & ridiculously detailed jungle scenes/plant-life/creatures.
    Looks like CGI has stepped up to a whole new level.

Feckin brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

karma_ wrote: »
    I have honestly never got why T2 is rated so highly, I agree it's a great movie but I would take the original Terminator film over it any day. It might not be as polished but I think it's the better of teh 2 movies.
    As an overall film, I would completely agree. T2 is just a "bigger and better" version of T1 - a typical sequel in other words. But as an action film: the thrills and intensity and wow moments of T2 really are second to none. The chase scenes are incredible. And Arnold upturning that truck and riding it down the highway like a surfboard is a moment I'll never forget. They just don't make action movies like that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

As an overall film, I would completely agree. T2 is just a "bigger and better" version of T1 - a typical sequel in other words. But as an action film: the thrills and intensity and wow moments of T2 really are second to none. The chase scenes are incredible. And Arnold upturning that truck and riding it down the highway like a surfboard is a moment I'll never forget. They just don't make action movies like that anymore.
    they tried in T3,old school action stuns - but failed miserably :(

T2 ftw really!!!(really wonders what if cameron do T3 by himself btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

cronin_j wrote: »
    Exactly, and i know this is what the film industry is thinking too

The fact people are still downloading Cam versions of this film show how desperate the whole piracy thing has got to.

With all these 3D films gonna be made isnt it time they got a IMAX screen back in Dublin?

• Advertisement

TonyD79 wrote: »
    The fact people are still downloading Cam versions of this film show how desperate the whole piracy thing has got to.

With all these 3D films gonna be made isnt it time they got a IMAX screen back in Dublin?

I think you'll find that people are downloading the DVD rip now available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Finally saw it last night. 3d effect was great but the story was only ok and it was too long. Worth the watch for the 3d alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

TonyD79 wrote: »

Yep, I'm with you. Two new cinemas opening in Dublin and not an Imax screen between them. It's a bad joke.

I think you'll find that people are downloading the DVD rip now available.

Yes I won't never buy a bootleg copy of Avatar or download the torrent. Just would not be the same movie, you have to see it in 3D in the Cinema. Have to hand it to him it was a great movie, story ok, long but not boring. I would like to see it again in 5 or 6 years but only in 3d in the cinema. He really has saved the cinema. Its in the local cinema for last 2 months and everyday there are a good number of people going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Sleazus wrote: »
    Yep, I'm with you. Two new cinemas opening in Dublin and not an Imax screen between them. It's a bad joke.

Saw this film in the IMAX in Cardiff Bay as the IMAX in London has been sold out a month in advance. Didnt think the IMAX screen in Cardiff was that big so perhaps a new one doesnt have to be the same size as the old one in Parnell Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

On discussion of Imax- pretty sure theres one opening in Dundalk soon enough
    alex73 wrote: »
    Yes I won't never buy a bootleg copy of Avatar or download the torrent. Just would not be the same movie, you have to see it in 3D in the Cinema. Have to hand it to him it was a great movie, story ok, long but not boring. I would like to see it again in 5 or 6 years but only in 3d in the cinema.

By that logic, it is as much of a waste to watch it in 2d as it is to watch cam or dvdrip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

seraphimvc wrote: »

That's because they use way to much CGI. Ya wanna make a old school action movie ya gotta blow some **** up for real! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

seraphimvc wrote: »

I thought the chase scene in T3 with the fire engine was very well executed. If there was CG present it was of the highest quality and wasn't noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

i still haven't seen it . . .and apparently its not worth seeing in 2D. the nearest 3D cinema is carlow, and from general reviews i don't think its worth the journey . . .

That's because they use way to much CGI. Ya wanna make a old school action movie ya gotta blow some **** up for real! :D
    I think it's got less to do with the type of effects used and more to do with creating tension. I really believe if the audience is absorbed in the film they ain't gonna care whether it was done using CGI or whatever. Directors are just too lazy now. I cared about the characters in the first two films. That and the terminators were genuinely frightening. The T-X? Pfft!

i still haven't seen it . . .and apparently its not worth seeing in 2D. the nearest 3D cinema is carlow, and from general reviews i don't think its worth the journey . . .

Go see it in 3D, otherwise i wouldn't bother.
    The general reviews are mostly reporting the film to have an average story but incredible visuals when combined with the 3D technology, I would agree.
    It is worth the journey. Trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »

Whats your point? Pretty much all sci-fi films are influenced by sci-fi books, comics or other sci-fi films?

sniff....sniff.........I smell begrudgery!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I just wish that Cameron could've made such a cliche story more original... the story was easily recognisable as something we've seen before, many times... all i'd like is if it could've been less obvious that it's unoriginal. (like there's nothing very original about Star Wars, but putting so many different things together in a new setting makes it seem very original) ...the stock characters of the war-mongering general, the ignorant money-hungry jerk, the perfect tribe in harmony with the land...just a bit less on the nose would've been awesome :)

Also stealing from books is more than acceptable since it's a different medium! lol!

In the mean time this looks really promising ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IpPpB3iWI

If you think this looks better than Avatar you really do need to go to specsavers.:)

• Advertisement

If you think this looks better than Avatar you really do need to go to specsavers.:)

Looks aren't everything you know...
    Some people like a proper storyline too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm thinking I'll never watch this movie again, purely to retain the spectacle I enjoyed in 3D instead of noticing all the bad dialogue and crater plotholes.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm thinking I'll never watch this movie again, purely to retain the spectacle I enjoyed in 3D instead of noticing all the bad dialogue and crater plotholes.

I would advise this to everyone.

Don't see it in 2D, you sit there realising that the only reason the film is any good is due to the 3D elements.

At least that is my own personal opinion.

Looks aren't everything you know...
    Some people like a proper storyline too.

Look avatar is undoubtedly without a decent storyline & the characters do lack depth but in all fairness it does compensate with the visuals.
    My criteria for what i consider to be a great movie usually requires good to excellent scores in all the usual aspects of film; script, plot, acting etc etc but i ashamedly did forget/excuse these elements watching Cameron's latest work.
    It is literally all looks & nothing else but still it is a thing of wonder.
    What is it that we remember from a supposed great film? It really does come down to what you remember with your eyes in my opinion.

Ultimately Avatar will only be remembered for the stunning special effects & nothing else. Like ive already said, kind of like Jurassic Park, memorable for all the wrong reasons.
    But hasn't that recently become regarded as a classic?

It really is all down to the individual.

Avatar won't be remembered as a classic.

Is Titanic?

The Godfather is a classic, Shawshank is a classic.

The reason these films are considered classic is due to the dialogue and storylines. (Also the way that they were shot, but that is something completely different)

Star Wars would be an example of something that used visual effects and didn't lack a story.
    Maybe some will remember it as a classic, I just don't think it has the elements to deserve that status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jurassic Park is also noted for bringing interest in dinosaurs to the masses (who didn't have some sort of merchandise like a pencil case? :pac: ) I still think that film is excellent overall and crazy how the T-Rex scene stills hold up without a wrinkle against the modern effects.

Avatar will be remembered for it's records and obviously amazing visuals

Back To the Future is another example of effects without lacking story. Pity they went a bit crazy with advertising in the 2nd.

Titanic is popular today because it's always on everyone's hate-list, yet it was the benchmark for success for over a decade!

The Godfather is a classic, Shawshank is a classic.

That really is a matter of opinion.;)

I wont even bother triggering an argument about what is & isn't a classic. Its a tired old chestnut often argued on this forum.

Each to there own. One mans long-winded over acted cliche laden sob fest is another mans treasure.

Each to there own. One mans long-winded over acted cliche laden sob fest is another mans treasure.

I was basically just going by the what many people consider classics.
    Personally I do consider the two of them classics, but that's somewhat irrelevant.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Back To the Future is another example of effects without lacking story. Pity they went a bit crazy with advertising in the 2nd.

Back to the Future had style, great acting performances (considering), and I would certainly think that it had somewhat of a good storyline.
    Films that are stylised properly can get away with a somewhat lacking storyline. Tarantino has been doing that sort of thing for quite a while now (in some of his films).

• Advertisement

I was basically just going by the what many people consider classics.
    Personally I do consider the two of them classics, but that's somewhat irrelevant.

Thats fair enough, thats your opinion & im no expert to dish out criticism.

I will say this; Titanic is a sack of sh!te which still haunts me to this day. Quite possibly the most disappointing film i have ever seen in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sorry for dragging this thread up, thought it'd be better than starting a new thread, but I've to hang around Dublin with nothin to do for ages tomorrow and was wondering where'd be the best place to see Avatar? Preferably somewhere near the City Centre or Luas lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

amacachi wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging this thread up, thought it'd be better than starting a new thread, but I've to hang around Dublin with nothin to do for ages tomorrow and was wondering where'd be the best place to see Avatar? Preferably somewhere near the City Centre or Luas lines.

Savoy on O'Connell Street or Cineworld on Parnell Street are what you want.

Both very near the LUAS Red Line. Both decent cinemas, although at this stage I doubt you'll get to see Avatar in the biggest screens. But at least they're both showing it in 3D.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Savoy on O'Connell Street or Cineworld on Parnell Street are what you want.

Both very near the LUAS Red Line. Both decent cinemas, although at this stage I doubt you'll get to see Avatar in the biggest screens. But at least they're both showing it in 3D.

Sound, shall check the listings.
    EDIT: Damn, neither has a showing at a good time, need it to fit between after 11 and before 5.

So finally saw it today. Only for the visual treat I may very well have left early. Terrible dialogue and some piss poor delivery in areas. The acting overall was very poor, which is astounding considering the money spent on it.

The 3D was cool though, still wearing the glasses, it makes cars seem like they're getting closer to ya as they move.

amacachi wrote: »
    The 3D was cool though, still wearing the glasses, it makes cars seem like they're getting closer to ya as they move.

I think that's just because the car is actually getting closer to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Avatar fantastic in 3D, really memorable effects, storyline a bit weak however.
    The music too, kept reminding me of that Titanic song by Celine Dion ( My heart Will Go On):mad:

Is that a coincidence it was same director made both?

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Avatar fantastic in 3D, really memorable effects, storyline a bit weak however.
    The music too, kept reminding me of that Titanic song by Celine Dion ( My heart Will Go On):mad:

Is that a coincidence it was same director made both?

Ha! With the film constantly smacking me over the head with the 'pro-earth/humans are ruining the earth' point I thought they were gonna break out "Heal the World" by Michael Jackson....especially when the tribe are all sitting/humming in unison towards the Big Deku Tree. I was really tempted to start singing it in the cinema out of spite :pac::pac::pac:

I wish someone told me that this is a kid's film with a very simple storyline and message. Maybe I assumed it would be something deeper...Cameron's made some of my favourite films ever so...

I think that's just because the car is actually getting closer to ya.

Oh(!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

• Advertisement
Advertisement