Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anakin.S wrote: »
    Shaomou, whose name means 'Michael Jackson lyric' in Mandarin,
    :D:D
    Shaomou claims he first noticed the similarities when the film passed the $1bn mark at the box office, adding: "I suddenly realised there was something very familiar about all that money."
    :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Any update on it's box office?...it'll rake in more $$$ after The Oscars for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Anyone have any idea when this finishes its run in the cinema?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

2012 i would imagine, if it keeps making wonga it'll stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LadyJedi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »

hahaha lol - I see blue people....:D

Fantastic, not too far from the truth really if James Cameron is gonna be honest !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Cant believe Ive never commented on the Avatar thread. Without diggin up any old arguements or discussions jsut wanted to throw my twopence worth out there.

Thought it was rubbish. Visual amazing. Plot, acting, screenplay and concept was completely unoriginal and boring.

yup yup yup and yup, does anyone else thing ole camerony has gone the way of tarantino, i.e. up his !"£$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭nosco

Haven't read anything previous so I'm guessing all of my points have been covered in the 138239320392 previous posts. I just need to get it off my chest.

Shocking shocking film. I honestly don't care that the visuals were so good. One element does NOT make a good movie. And it literally is the only thing going for it.

I think I'm just so annoyed that so much money can be spent and yet the basics cannot be got right.

Maybe I should just ignore its failings and take it for what it is and enjoy the ride. UNfortunately I just cant cos the glaring deficiency's get in on me so much!

It just galls me to think how good the movie could have been if they had put that visual production behind a proper plot/acting/story.

And the icing on the cake, the worst bad guy I have ever seen on screen. seriously, were they taking the pi** with that grunting general?

Thank you for indulging my frustration.

I really don't know what people were expecting story wise from Avatar. While it's hardly the most original story ever it is strong enough to hold the film. All the accusations of plagiarism are uncalled for, Avatar does not steal from other film, what it does is take an age old tale and give it a new spin. The film is a treat for the eyes and ears, 2 and a half hours of wonderment with plenty of action, some fine performances and an honest to good old fashioned sense of fun. There are not many other films which can entertain all age groups.

Darko darko Darko honestly it had taken him soo long to make this he could have made an EPIC movie in terms of mythology, history, culture, social aspects... he should have jsut asked a famous fantasy fiction author to write it for him like George R. Martin, Feist, King(meh), Jordan's son, even that Harry Potter wench would have madea better attempt.

Darko darko Darko honestly it had taken him soo long to make this he could have made an EPIC movie in terms of mythology, history, culture, social aspects... he should have jsut asked a famous fantasy fiction author to write it for him like George R. Martin, Feist, King(meh), Jordan's son, even that Harry Potter wench would have madea better attempt.

Why in gods name would he have a literary writer write his film for him?That has to be one of the most retarded statements I have read in a long time. Avatar is not a fantasy film, it's science fiction. If you want to drop names and be witty at least have the decency to name people like Peter F. Hamilton, actual honest to god sci fi writers. There is a big difference between writing for the page and writing for the screen, many respected authors have failed miserably when making the transition.

The reason it took Cameron so long to make the film was that he had to create the technology to make the film on first. It wasn;t simply a case of grab some cameras and lets go and shoot a film, no he spent years developing the technology he need in order to get his vision on screen.

Why in gods name would he have a literary writer write his film for him?That has to be one of the most retarded statements I have read in a long time. Avatar is not a fantasy film, it's science fiction. If you want to drop names and be witty at least have the decency to name people like Peter F. Hamilton, actual honest to god sci fi writers. There is a big difference between writing for the page and writing for the screen, many respected authors have failed miserably when making the transition.

Well the very reason you seem to allude to yourself...
    The reason it took Cameron so long to make the film was that he had to create the technology to make the film on first. It wasn;t simply a case of grab some cameras and lets go and shoot a film, no he spent years developing the technology he need in order to get his vision on screen.
    The work, effort and genius of the technology behind the film SHOULD have had a far greater story and the characters and world he has created is just pure driville.

I dont literally mean it. But if he was to ask someone they wouldn't neccessairly be writign it for the screen but more for the creation of the characters and background systems needed, characters, settings, culture.. and they could have collaborated. Like the same way he collaborated or basically used some other guy to create the language.

Plus Na'vi is just a rip off of Zelda his kids were probably playing it when he walked in.

Well the very reason you seem to allude to yourself... The work, effort and genius of the technology behind the film SHOULD have had a far greater story and the characters and world he has created is just pure driville.

Sure a truly original story would have been nice but at the end of the day I would much rather a thrilling film than one which gets bogged down in spending half the running time fleshing out back stories and mythos. The scripts is perfectly acceptable for what is a big sci fi action fest.
    I dont literally mean it. But if he was to ask someone they wouldn't neccessairly be writign it for the screen but more for the creation of the characters and background systems needed, characters, settings, culture.. and they could have collaborated. Like the same way he collaborated or basically used some other guy to create the language.

Perhaps Spielberg should hire literary writers to flesh out the various cultures in Indiana Jones, or Stallone should hire people to research the motives of the bad guys in Rambo. Cinema is a completely different entity to that of the written word. If I want a deeper sense of history, characters inner thoughts, etc I'll read a book. If I want 2 hours of entertainment that I can easily digest I'll watch a film. Expecting the same level of attention to detail from a film and a book is just never going to happen.
    Plus Na'vi is just a rip off of Zelda his kids were probably playing it when he walked in.

I'm sure that's where it came from. Like I'm sure that he stole the plot from the film Men of War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Who? Do you mean Robert Jordan's son? Or Brandon Sanderson (who continued WoT after his death, but isn't his son)
    If you want to drop names and be witty at least have the decency to name people like Peter F. Hamilton, actual honest to god sci fi writers.

Just to point out, George RR Martin has written plenty of (well respected) science fiction. And has been a screenwriter (though for TV).

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Just to point out, George RR Martin has written plenty of (well respected) science fiction. And has been a screenwriter (though for TV).

I actually prefer some of Martin's scripts to his novels. He did some great work on The Twilight Zone but some of the film work he did was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I actually prefer some of Martin's scripts to his novels. He did some great work on The Twilight Zone but some of the film work he did was terrible.

I wasn't aware he had any of his screenplays made into films?

I know he wrote a screenplay for A Princess of Mars, but I don't think the opcoming film is produced on it.

Agreed on the Twilight Zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

800px-Felucia-wide.JPG

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but here's a still from Star Wars Episode III (or it could be the Clone Wars TV show, who knows) of the planet "Felucia" where one of the Jedi's gets killed during the "Order 66" montage.

BlyShootsAayla.JPG

A few years later I watched Avatar and got flashbacks!! :pac::pac: Probably took away from the wonder :(

Also thought i'd throw it in.....

2hqb0bc.jpg

If I made a film I'd put Zelda references in there too :)

Don't get me wrong, Avatar is still a fantastic looking movie. But SW and Zelda are two are my favourite things so I found these bits to be similar ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Airsoft_Invent

lol, just lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Dunno if this is the right section...

looking for feedback on 3D blu ray of this movie, and also if anyone knows a way of working around the panasonic exclusive deal in order to buy this? can get it on ebay but for ridiculous prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is there anything that Avatar didn't rip off?

Is there anything that Avatar didn't rip off?

Smurfs ????

Oh....no............wait.....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

mystic86 wrote: »
    Dunno if this is the right section...

looking for feedback on 3D blu ray of this movie, and also if anyone knows a way of working around the panasonic exclusive deal in order to buy this? can get it on ebay but for ridiculous prices...

Check out the AV forums, I am not sure how the prices compare with EBay.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-blu-ray-classified-adverts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

jaykhunter wrote: »
    But SW and Zelda are two are my favourite things so I found these bits to be similar ;)

Clone Wars season three went on to rip off Avatar's floaty mountains for themselves. ( Link ;) )

As will Skyward Sword come to think of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Cameron’s “Avatar” once again led the China box office this weekend, with sales of $14 million over the three-day period.

The 2009 film has held its own as the top title every day since its March 12 re-release in China. It has grossed a total of $44 million so far, ten days into its re-run. When it screened in China in 2010, it was a massive hit, raking in $203 million.

Thanks to recent China sales, the sci-fi epic has now regained its crown from “Avengers: Endgame” as the highest grossing movie in history. “Avatar” had held that title for a decade with $2.7897 billion in global sales. But in April 2019, “Avengers” squeaked past it with a $2.7902 billion cume. The recent re-release now puts “Avatar” squarely back in position as the title to beat once again.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/avatar-china-box-office-21-bridges-1234935360

I miss the cinema even for repeat showings

Advertisement