Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm looking to see this film in regular 2D if possible.
    It still looks very impressive in the regular format I think

I have never been to a 3D movie so I've no idea what its like.
    I'm partially blind in my right eye so I think the experience will be lost on me.

Am I right in saying that all performances of this movie will be in 3D
    Or are there regular ol' 2D shows available?

And if so how can I find out the difference?
    I'm looking to go in Dundrum

many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's a rag, but "Avatar Day" was anything but a success. While "almost empty" is overstating things, the attendances were extremely poor given the expectations Fox had.

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/20553/1/IS-THE-AVATAR-FOOTAGE-PLAYING-TO-HALF-EMPTY-THEATERS/Page1.html

That was back in August, the mainsteam hype hadnt started yet, my mum and dad want to go see this and they havent gone to the cinema together in years, I know 5 people taking the day off work thursday for it, and the 3D showing in my local cinema tomorrow night is almost sold out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I'm looking to see this film in regular 2D if possible.
    It still looks very impressive in the regular format I think

I have never been to a 3D movie so I've no idea what its like.
    I'm partially blind in my right eye so I think the experience will be lost on me.

Am I right in saying that all performances of this movie will be in 3D
    Or are there regular ol' 2D shows available?

And if so how can I find out the difference?
    I'm looking to go in Dundrum

many thanks

Not sure about Dundrum, but there's definitely 2D versions of Avatar showing in other cinemas - Cineworld on Parnell Street have both 2D and 3D showings, they have it listed as to which it is (some of the screens can show 3D, some can't), but I see on the Dundrum website it's only listed as Avatar 3D, so maybe not there? I'd just give them a call if I were you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Avatar nominated for Golden Globe best picture. Opens in So California this coming Friday, 18 December. Large crowds anticipated for the weekend. I'll probably wait until next week to see it, rather than stand in long lines. Our local IMAX cinema has 3D and a huge screen.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

I'll see it Thursday in Limerick, 12.30.....didn't know the film was four hours, wtf!

2 hours and 40 minutes. Not 4 hours.????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Glad (relieved actually) that it's getting positive reviews - I was worried this would be Lucas/Phantom Menace all over again. And advertising and buzz is finally picking up too. Remember, whatever about this being a new dawn for cinema etc, it HAS to make money or it will just be remembered as that weird blue alien movie or the new Waterworld. Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

Saw it at the preview in the Savoy on Monday evening. We even had to check our phones in so we couldn't take vids or pics.

It's well worth seeing, the 3D effects are really impressive. I've never seen a 3D movie in the cinema before, but this is a completely different experience to the aul red/green 3D specs I've seen before in some crappy horror movies. The story itself is engrossing, it does lag a bit in the middle with the inevitable blue alien love-in, but the action sequences are truly fantastic. Schmaltzy in parts, and not the most amazing script you'll ever hear, but overall it's a pretty unforgettable cinematic experience. And that, I imagine, is what Cameron was aiming for!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Not going to read any more reviews and see it on Friday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Otacon wrote: »
    I am confident I will like this. Jim Cameron has not put a foot wrong film-wise IMO and I have seen nothing so far in Avatar to make me doubt him.

What about Pirahna 2? :p

I'm looking forward to this, all the reviews have said its good. Not sure about the 3D, as I was not impressed with the 3D in the last movie I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Is this a new kind of 3D experience or do you have to wear those stupid specs that give me a headache.

Vue is showing it in 2D and 3D but they are charging a premium for 3D so is it worth it or will I still enjoy the movie in 2D.

I want to go tomorrow so opinions appreciated please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is this a new kind of 3D experience or do you have to wear those stupid specs that give me a headache.
    You wear the dark tinted specs. They're more advanced and less headache inducing than the old red/blue tinted nonsense.
    Vue is showing it in 2D and 3D but they are charging a premium for 3D so is it worth it or will I still enjoy the movie in 2D.
    It's designed to be seen in 3D and from reviews I've browsed, it does add to the experience (Empire gave the film 5 stars - but pointed out that without 3D, it's a 4 star movie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm trying to book for Cineworld Dublin on Friday and despite the site saying its available, the phone booking service says that it isn't. I would book it online, only that the site says I should try a different card, for no apparent reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Probably will go see it next week.. I see the Gaiety Sligo are showing it in 3D and 2D.

I'll wait to hear which is better - don't know if I could sit in a 3D movie for 2 an a half hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Sorry if this is a daft question,but I was just wondering-how does the 3d version work?
    Do you have to wear some sort of glasses?

Do you have to wear some sort of glasses?
    Yep... and you'll probably be charged 80c - €1 for a pair.

Gaiety Sligo are charging a tenner for early evening show, and €11 for night show. Probably more for glasses! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Going to see it at 9, got my 3D glasses ready! \m/

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The showing I went to was in 3-D.
    What type of 3-D viewing is this film, shutter glasses or the standard 3-D glasses ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Wonderful movie!

I like this review from some movie buff "One of the best films of the year. However, Avatar's 'message' of human greed and unnecessary needs is nearly laughable considering the flick is one of the most expensive films of all time".

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jokasy

sorry for stupid question but I've never seen 3-D movie - do they give you a 3-D glasses at cinema?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I might go to see it tomorrow morning in Cineworld. I just wish there was some way of finding out on cineworld.ie what screen each showing of a film was on. Cause i'd love to see this in screen 17.

Do you think the early showings of this will be packed tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

is it me or is the level of tv advertising quite small considering its the most expensive movie ever made , i can think of tonnes of other movies where you cant watch tv for half an hour without coming across at least three adds , doesnt seem to to be the case with avatar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

jokasy wrote: »
    sorry for stupid question but I've never seen 3-D movie - do they give you a 3-D glasses at cinema?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Saw an interview today with Sam Worthington who stars in Avatar and he came across as a real down to earth guy that you could have a few beers with. I've only ever seen him in Terminator Salvation and he stole that picture from Christian Bale which is no mean feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Incredible movie. James Cameron is a genius. That is all.

Just back from it, all i can say is, wow.
    Its one of those movies that makes you remember why you love movies in the first place, its got moments that are like the first time you saw a dinosaur in Jurassic Park, or the first time you saw the T-1000 in Terminator 2, the CGI on the Na'Vi is STUNNING, never mind all this giant smurf people crap, after 5 minutes of seeing the first one you completely forget you are watching pixels act, they cry, sweat, get muddy, they have tiny hairs,pores and imperfections on their skin, the closeups of their faces will have your jaw on the floor at how detailed the character's features are. If possible do go see the 3D version, it'd be a great movie without the 3D aspect, with it its a fantastic one. The depth of field really is something else, computer monitors are dotted around the labs and bases and all have their own depth, guns swing towards the screen, arrows fly about, smoke trails from missiles streak past your head, trees and plants get in the way and in one scene where theres a lot of dust floating about you feel like swatting it away, remarkable stuff. The landscapes of Pandora are incredible, you honestly dont know where to look at times theres so much to take in.

Its a Cameron movie through and through, military hardware aplenty, an earthly underlying message, a villain who's a complete badass, stunning visuals, slighty dodgy script in places and the last 40 mins or so of action will leave you breathless

Cinema revolution? we'll see. Movie event of the year? most definitely

have just seen this in 3D in cineworld. I haven't been amazed by something in the cinema for a long long time but this did it. The planet pandora is an amazing world that you have to see. The 3D works better than you could imagine. Just go see it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

how can you say The Abyss wasn't good!? it's up there in my top 10 list of films ever

as for this film it was too cartoony and District 9 was much better as a film, even the battle suit fight was better in D9
    Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it immensely but the plot was by no means original
    Other films such as Dune, A man called Horse and Battle for Terra kept springing to mind while watching it especially Dune with it's whole messianic message going on
    overall i would give it a 7.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Saw this earlier tonight in 3. Best visual experience ever, IMO. It's breathtaking and you honestly forget you're watching mostly CGI, the graphics are that good. It's a fantastic story as well. Anyone debating whether to go see it in 2D or 3D, go to 3D for sure... you're missing out if you don't...
    5 out of 5 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Saw it in 2D, you can tell it's meant to be watched in 3d as me and the people I went with had to wait an hour for our eyes to adjust to the screen. Movement, camera and zoom were off putting. But other than that it was absolutely amazing. I'm after posting a review for entertainment.ie, when it comes up I'll copy and pasta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

As an enjoyable cinema going experience it only gets trumped by Drag me to Hell this year. While watching the movie I was reminded of the feeling of awe I had watching the Lord of the Rings movies for the first time.
    Epic action movie and made all the better with the 3D.

• Advertisement

OK.. I've decided 3D! :D

I don't go to the cinema often, and it's €6 more than I normally would pay.

But it sounds like it's worth it!

by the way - if you are going to the 3D version apparently it's much better if you get a central seat for the 3d effect to work best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

saw this last night in 3-D, the visuals were jaw-dropping and astounding. The lush world of Pandora is stunning and gorgeous and you have to see it to know what the fuss is all about. Definitely a ground breaking moment in modern cinema and a must see for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I posted a review in the reviews section but something I mentioned there was in relation to the 'Groundbreaking 3D'. I loved the film, it had a lot to live up to (Cameron's long absence from cinema, most expensive film of all time and talk of it revolutionising 3D/modern cinema experience) and do you know what 3D effect made the most impact?? The Cheshire Cat's appearance in the 3d trailer for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. The audience collectively gasped in amazement. After that, nothing in Avatar dazzled the audience as much.

Pity.

Hugely enjoyable film though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Im going to see it in 3d tonight, all these reviews are getting me really physced up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I posted a review in the reviews section but something I mentioned there was in relation to the 'Groundbreaking 3D'. I loved the film, it had a lot to live up to (Cameron's long absence from cinema, most expensive film of all time and talk of it revolutionising 3D/modern cinema experience) and do you know what 3D effect made the most impact?? The Cheshire Cat's appearance in the 3d trailer for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. The audience collectively gasped in amazement. After that, nothing in Avatar dazzled the audience as much.

Pity.

Hugely enjoyable film though.
    I disagree. I think that was because a lot of us (myself included) hadn't seen proper 3D before so that was the first thing that stood out. I spend the first half hour of the film like this :eek: After a while you become immersed in it and don't notice the 3D as much, but it has an effect subconsiously.

Neytiri and the flora and fauna of Pandora were the stand outs for me. Fantastic acting from Zoe Saldana. I'd love to know how they got the motion capture stuff for her face so spot on. Oh and Stephen Lang as Quaritch. He was badass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Usually when a film is hype up so much i dont enjoy it as much. Likewise when im told a film is awful and then it suprises me(e.g. Law Abiding Citizen)! Hopefully this lives up to the hype.

Altho i am going to see it tomorrow at lunchtime post my work Christmas party, jus hope all the jumpy 3D doesnt add to my hangover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Kiith wrote: »
    I might go to see it tomorrow morning in Cineworld. I just wish there was some way of finding out on cineworld.ie what screen each showing of a film was on. Cause i'd love to see this in screen 17.

Do you think the early showings of this will be packed tomorrow?

Does anybody know what screen it is being shown on in Cineworld? I also want to go see this in screen 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

It's on in screen 17 in Cineworld. Also saw it last night there in 3D. First film I've seen in years in 3D - it was top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lads, I wear glasses already. How does that work for 3d films? Would i need to wear two pairs of glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Agricola wrote: »
    Lads, I wear glasses already. How does that work for 3d films? Would i need to wear two pairs of glasses!
    Yeah unless you can wear contacts then you'll have to double up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bibbly

Saw this last night, and it lived up to my expectations. I would strongly recommend viewing this movie in 3D and sitting in the centre of the cinema. Smack bang in the middle of Screen 17 in Cineworld is the best spot.

The dialog at times was a bit cringey at times another sterotypical soldier with facial scares saying "come get some". The first half in particular was outstanding.

You can spot one or two musical and visual similarities to Aliens which i thought was kind of cool.

Visually the most impressive movie i have every seen. Well worth the money.

was at it last night with a friend who wears glasses. it wasn't a problem for him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I wear glasses and have seen quite a few 3D movies this year, including Avatar last night. The 3D glasses sit nicely in front of your regular glasses, so you don't even notice that you're wearing two pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

Is cineworld only showing avatar 3d on screen 17 then? Also has anyone seen this in dundrum was going to see it there but they always manage to feck it up be it the sound or the curtain half over the screen to the aspect ratio being off, where is the best place to see this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw it this afternoon, and loved it. The CGI is increadible. Wasnt expecting it to be as good as it was. Took me a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the 3d, but once they did, it was like being there, watching the actual events taking place. Definitely contender for film of the year for me.

I summed it up in one word in a text message earlier....Awesome!
    mancduff wrote: »
    Is cineworld only showing avatar 3d on screen 17 then?
    No, they have a few screens capable of showing it in 3d. Was on screen 8 and 11 earlier today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Just back from an afternoon showing. No option of glasses where I was so I had to make do with the eyes I was born with!! What a show, the effects were fantastic, CGI certainly is the future. Good story line, even if it was a bit Cameronesque. Script was perhaps a slight negative, but it won't take away from ones enjoyment. Shades of 9/11 in it too I felt. Weaver was excellent as always. 2hrs 40 flew by and I can't imagine that anyone leaving the cinema won't be impressed. For Cameron the vision is complete in a big way, all the years of work have paid off. Credit to his imagination and perseverence. Go see it you won't be disappointed. I can only imagine how immense it is in 3D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I had serious issues with the 3D, i think my depth perspective is f*cked up!....first off, i'm half blind. I wear glasses, i didn't know what to do!, for the first 15 mins i wore the 3D specs, but my eyesight is crap and blurred.

So then i got brave, wore my specs and popped the 3D glasses over them...sorted!, they fit perfect as well, no issues having two pairs of specs on. BUT....my major issue was my eyesight, my right eye i don't use....as in my brain disregards thr right eye, i look through my left.

So, basically i didn't get a proper 3D effect as the system requires you to look through both eyes!, i spent all of the movie squinting, adjusting my focus, yes there were moments i saw depth perception, like elements move indepentdent of each other....but, i don't see how it's revolutionary to say when i saw Jaws 3D all those years ago, the depth and 3D effect seemed no more advanced.

As for the CGI, i also forgot they with rendered CGI characters, the motion capturing was flawless, Pandora looked amazing, 100% photo realistic. But alot of the animals looked pure CGI.

The end battle was great, but predictable....the story itself is simplistic and unroiginal, no surprises. Fair few nods to Aliens as well, in fact i picked up on a number of nods to other movies as i watched.

I saw the RealD system, but i'll go again to the Omniplex and check out the Barco system, i wanted to see the 3D...i was let down, either my eyes are usless or i had unrealistic expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I had serious issues with the 3D, i think my depth perspective is f*cked up!....first off, i'm half blind. I wear glasses, i didn't know what to do!, for the first 15 mins i wore the 3D specs, but my eyesight is crap and blurred.

So then i got brave, wore my specs and popped the 3D glasses over them...sorted!, they fit perfect as well, no issues having two pairs of specs on. BUT....my major issue was my eyesight, my right eye i don't use....as in my brain disregards thr right eye, i look through my left.

So, basically i didn't get a proper 3D effect as the system requires you to look through both eyes!, i spent all of the movie squinting, adjusting my focus, yes there were moments i saw depth perception, like elements move indepentdent of each other....but, i don't see how it's revolutionary to say when i saw Jaws 3D all those years ago, the depth and 3D effect seemed no more advanced.

As for the CGI, i also forgot they with rendered CGI characters, the motion capturing was flawless, Pandora looked amazing, 100% photo realistic. But alot of the animals looked pure CGI.

The end battle was great, but predictable....the story itself is simplistic and unroiginal, no surprises. Fair few nods to Aliens as well, in fact i picked up on a number of nods to other movies as i watched.

I saw the RealD system, but i'll go again to the Omniplex and check out the Barco system, i wanted to see the 3D...i was let down, either my eyes are usless or i had unrealistic expectations.
    sorry to be blunt but you will never be able to see it properly if the images reaching one of yours eyes are disregarded , its not possible to get the effect , sorry you may never experience the full benefit of 3d movies , and theres no point in explaining what its meant to look like you have prob reseached it and heard it all before . feel sorry for ya man i dont think what 3d system they use will matter you need both eyes to see the effect. If you are comparing it to jaws 3d then you defo didnt get it . sorry man. :(

you're kidding right?Jaws 3D had a handful of really crapp "3D" effects like heads floating towards the screen, Avatar has completely differnt depth to it, even the monitors in the labs and bases had their own depth of field, its most impressive when its not being shoved in your face during it, like the troop briefing near the end where theres 12-15 rows of people all in clear depth and then the monitor they're watching has its own depth as well, it was fantastic. You do need both eyes to get it to work properly, closing one eye will just make it appear 2D which i did a few times during it just to give my eyes a rest for a minute

I loved the trailer for Alice in Wonderland at the beginning, the Cheshire cat apparance had people ducking out of the way it was great

• Advertisement
Advertisement