Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom slow speeds at night(Clonee Exchange)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lol_leo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Again a set of good time and bad time line stats are in order to eliminate local conditions or house conditions .

If the line stats are the same in both circumstances the problem could be

1. interference within your house from a sky box etc
    2. a neighbour using the same wireless frequencies , change the channel in the Netopia router from 6 default to say 1 7 or 11 and see if that gets you around the issue .

If the line stats actually change then it is a Crosstalk/Port issue , these are often complex to resolve but sometimes if you hassle eircom for a different port in the exchange they go away . Crosstalk may occur on distribution frames or in cable bundles out to housing estates . Better quality modems than the Netopia can sometimes nail the line up better, kitz.co.uk explains a lot of these issues

However if the line stats do not change between good and bad periods it is not the line .

If your lines stats are perfect and you eliminate wireless interference by using a network cable from your pc to the netopia then the slowdown is congestion in or beyond the exchange and you need to complain to eircom who own the exchange .

Some slowdown is expected sometimes but catastrophic slowdowns are not acceptable.

Im a bit confused about this but is it not a case of just pinging the router from your pc or laptop to see if there is a delay between them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that helps eliminate local wireless interference yes , the results should be around 1 or 2ms every time . But local wireless interference from a neighbour would also give you a bad speed test albeit with nothing wrong with the line .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm with BT on Clonee exchange and my speed tonight has gone to crap.
    I'm on the top speed package with 24:1 contention ratio and I can usually max out my line at all times.

Edit:
    Changed to Open DNS and all is back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Hi,

I got a phone line installed two weeks ago, i'm connected to the clonee exchange and have been informed by eircom that my line is an 'amber' line which basically means when they do a broadband test on the line, it neither fully passes nor fails....

They also told me my line is only capable of receiving 1mb speeds...the BT website line checker doesn't even recognise my phoneline as being able to recieve BB, even though when i rang bt they said i could receive up to 7mb but that eircom would have to update the line

Should I just go with eircom's 1mb package and hope that they upgrade the line sometime soon or look elsewhere for alternative means of getting BB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

dubdec99 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a phone line installed two weeks ago, i'm connected to the clonee exchange and have been informed by eircom that my line is an 'amber' line which basically means when they do a broadband test on the line, it neither fully passes nor fails....

They also told me my line is only capable of receiving 1mb speeds...the BT website line checker doesn't even recognise my phoneline as being able to recieve BB, even though when i rang bt they said i could receive up to 7mb but that eircom would have to update the line

Should I just go with eircom's 1mb package and hope that they upgrade the line sometime soon or look elsewhere for alternative means of getting BB?

Personally I have changed to Imagine breeze,4mb down and up,if your only going to get 1 mb this might be worth a look at

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pjfc37

Hi guys ive recently had aptus rural broadband installed in my home in carlow,its called the rural broadband package you can view on there site www.aptus.ie its pretty consistent and it is 3mb download, 384k upload. i have an xbox 360 in the house and i can connect to xbox live send messages etc etc but CANNOT accept private chats and cannot seem to join games or anything i thought at first it may be my router so i plugged the internet straight in, is there anyone out there who can help me as its very frustrating to think i cant access xbox live even though everything seems to work im actually stumped, could it be that my upload speed is too slow?? i thought it woul be sufficient , does anyone have any past experience with this? thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

dubdec99 wrote: »
    Hi,

It could be amber as the result has not been updated by eircom yet. Lines usually fail the test for up to a month at first. Would you say you are about 3 miles or more from the exchange?? If not, I would not worry about it.

It could be amber as the result has not been updated by eircom yet. Lines usually fail the test for up to a month at first. Would you say you are about 3 miles or more from the exchange?? If not, I would not worry about it.

The guy I spoke to from Eircom reckoned I was 5 miles from the exchange but said he couldn't be sure about it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Again a set of good time and bad time line stats are in order to eliminate local conditions or house conditions .

If the line stats are the same in both circumstances the problem could be

1. interference within your house from a sky box etc
    2. a neighbour using the same wireless frequencies , change the channel in the Netopia router from 6 default to say 1 7 or 11 and see if that gets you around the issue .

If your lines stats are perfect and you eliminate wireless interference by using a network cable from your pc to the netopia then the slowdown is congestion in or beyond the exchange and you need to complain to eircom who own the exchange .

does sky box really interfeer with the net cause ive had slow down problems with mine since i got sky in althoug i jsut removed the phone line from the box but sill thinking it causes some interference....

The guy in eircom doesn't know shít about your line, beyond what a computer reports. It's usually easy enough to find out the location of the exchange, someone here might be nice and tell you where your one is. I can tell you myself in a day or two when i get the info.

I seriously doubt you're in the Dublin/Meath border area and are more than 5 miles from an exchange.

As for sky boxes, they don't (usually) slow the internet down. Like nearly everything digital with error correction, either it works or else the interference is enough to knock it off. Sometimes the box can lower the actual connection speed if it's unfiltered but the circumstances in that scenario are not often found.

If it's plugged out, it shouldn't cause interference. Unless the wiring itself has issues. The mere presence of extensions from your master socket, even if unused, can mess around with the DSL. Like a Bridge Tap (as seen stateside) of sorts.

• Advertisement

I've ordered the 1mb package from BT....hopefully the line will be upgraded in the not-too-distant future :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Could you post back here with your stats when you get connected?? That will be the true test of how long your line appears to be. And your ping times to e.g. boards.ie or www.rte.ie. That will tell if you're on the ordinary 1mbit package or the reach extended one.

Then we can give you a good idea of what your line can take.

Will do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Line stats with sky box plugged in to line and stats without sky box plugged in, please. :)

My Stats:

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3072 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 14.1 dB 16.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 48.0 dB 27.5 dB
    Output Power 0.1 dBm 8.2 dBm

Grand stats. Are they with everything (like sky boxes) plugged out, or with everything else filtered as per instructions?

Grand stats. Are they with everything (like sky boxes) plugged out, or with everything else filtered as per instructions?

The only other thing plugged in is the phone and that's filtered obviously

Advertisement