Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benefit in Kind

• 18-08-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Just looking to see what way i should go with this.
    I'm a project manager for our family run business and am looking to go more towards sales and now require to change my van to a car for appearance reasons. Obviously i dont pay BIK on a commercial , so am looking to see what's the best way to go when i change for a car. ie.
    a. Pay benefit in kind or
    b. Charge mileage to the company

Any advice or knowledge of the costs of BIK would be greatly appreciated

ps. the car would be to the value of €42k and i do 50km / just over 30k miles per annum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

If you can afford to buy it personally it will be better as:

1) BIK is always based on the origianal market value of the car and
    2) Reduced and capped costs for capital allowances.
    3) Revenue rates can be used and are more generous for mileage purposes.

Hope this helps

Dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dusty770

Hi and thanks for the reply. Could you estimate how much this could end up costing me? The payments would be around €1,300 per month [i have to check the setlement figure on my current vehicle]. So i'm just trying to get my head around how much i can charge the company and how much it will cost me in real world figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 funnygal

for personal BIK is calculated on the original market value by multiplying it by a percentage the percentage starts at 30% and gets lower the more miles run up on car and the lower percentage is 6% for 30k miles or more...
    your BIK would be restricted for part use in the year.
    personal use is also deducted when arriving your liability
    Also any donations made to the company for the use of car say 100 euro or so a month are deducted off your BIK liability
    from a business point of view
    A diesel car would be better because at least you can claim the vat back for diesel purchases and not for petrol
    also when calculating the capital allowances for the car the cost of the car is restricted and the higher the carbon emmisions of the car the then there is more of a restriction
    personally i would buy through the company.

Advertisement