Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University and fees

Options
  • 18-08-2009 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

I've read all the sticky about the OU and this was topic was only touched upon. I was hoping to do 3 modules in the next 12-18 months and the cost of this in Euro would be at today's currency rate be approx €3,481 which to me is a huge amount to pay for the 3 modules where as if I was living in the UK the cost of the modules would be €1,639 which would be a saving of €2,091 and would make every module cost roughly €565 per module I figure I could stomach more over the next 18 months.

All the assessments TMA's are done electronic transfer and I know there would be some tutorials worth attending.

Forgetting about the morality of the situation (I can live with this) Is there any problem with me using an English address and getting my mail forwarded back to Ireland, I don't even mind attending a couple of tutorials in the UK it could be a nice weekend away. I don't have a UK National insurance number but I'm sure I could get one if needed and get my student card forwarded there as well.

There are a number of company's offering mailing address's or I could use a relatives address.

Has anyone else done this, because over the course of my degree I would probably save between €5K- 6K. I'm not being sponsored and all the fees are being paid for by myself and I could do with the saving.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭finlma

I'm re-erecting this old message. Has anyone any experience of registering for a course using a UK address? Fees have gone up for the masters I'm doing and I'm in my final year. There's almost a grand of a difference for people in the UK than people in the Republic. Wondering if I would be able to use a UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tessie

Hi, If you do that it is fraud and you risk being found out and any degree awarded by the OU would be taken away. Have you approached the university to see if you can avail of any funding? What are your circumstances? Do you work? There are hardship funds and you can apply to Belfast. Look into this before you do anything foolish.

Alternatively move over to UK.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do you not need to give your social security number?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Do you not need to give your social security number?

They're easily acquired, however if they queried it with HMRC or the DSS they'd realised you hadn't ever paid taxes or claimed welfare...

Little point doing it anymore for new (from October) students as the England and Ireland fees are identical now.

Advertisement