Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing Windows SBS 2003

• 18-08-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I have a new computer, which has Windows XP pre-installed (or rather, when I load up the computer for the first time, it takes me through the Windows XP installation process).

I don't want Windows XP on the machine though, I want Windows Small Business Server 2003, for which I have an installation disc for.

So, how do I get rid of XP and install SBS instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

TBH if you have trouble doing this you aint qualified enough to use SBS 2003 in a real environment :) If its for funsies tho urself, try booting off the CD (there is usually a hot key for this on the very first boot screen, maybe F12 or f10) then format the Hard disk and install from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I'd suggest virtual first.

If you have XP Pro installed

If you have XP Home

Keep using XP if it's, well, a home PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Windows.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just format - install. There's not really all that much difference between installing SBS and any other OS.

Why you'd want to install SBS is beyond me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Thanks for the advice. This is work related, not for a home computer. I'm installing SBS because this will be a temporary backup server in case something happens to our main server. We use a backup program that in the event of the main server going down, we can load all our data on to the backup server until the main server is fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭tech

how many users have you got? have ye got many pc's / lapatops on site. Is your main server SBS also?

What backup program are you using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

We have about 10 users and computers. We have a proper server machine with SBS 2003 on it. Symantec Backup Exec is the backup program which runs on it. Backups of the entire system are done on to external drives once or twice a day I think.

Advertisement